New Soccer Jerseys Banned by League

Bleujayone

-Although I thought about putting this in the "Sports In General" area, this is sports logo/uniform related.-

W*anker Photo

A FOOTBALL club?s new shirts have been banned ? because they have ?The Referee?s a W*nker? on them.

Players at Stambridge United in Essex got the cheeky strip as part of a sponsorship deal with author Chris Turner.

Soccer nut Chris recently released a book of football chants and rhymes titled after the age-old insult hurled at refs by fans.

The shirts have a red card strategically placed over the ?a? in ?W*nker?.

But Stambridge have now been barred from playing in them by the Baliston Essex Olympian League on the grounds that they are offensive.

Club officials said they had been told not to discuss the ban. But writer Chris, 41 ? who was on Southend?s books as a schoolboy ? said: ?I think it?s absolutely absurd.

?They played a few games with the shirts on and it caused a laugh.

?The strips are part of a sponsorship deal worth thousands and are certainly not meant to be offensive ? you can hear the chant at every football match in the country.?

Ref Kevin Barlow saw the funny side of the kit by ?sending off? Stambridge forward Warren Hill, 20, for wearing it.

But league spokesman Peter Godfrey said: ?It could be deemed offensive.?

Chris Lee of Basildon Referees? Association welcomed the ban but regretted the club would have to buy more.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Archived