Penalty, or Penalty Shot?

zer0dotcom

Watching Sundin's PS last night got me thinking; in that situation, or one similar, would it be more advantagious to select a two minute penalty, or a penalty shot?

EDIT: Yeah, I see it. I guess we gotta re-learn how to post polls...

That was a PS, no doubt about it.

The defender was clearly trailing Sundin.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Say, in a case where it isn't a close call, or unlike last night. You're just playing hockey, and the referee gives you the option of a power play (2mins) or a penalty shot, which would you take then?

(I wasn't trying to really discuss that play, more, if it was your choice, in the game of a 2 man advantage or a free shot what would you take?)

Say, in a case where it isn't a close call, or unlike last night. You're just playing hockey, and the referee gives you the option of a power play (2mins) or a penalty shot, which would you take then?

(I wasn't trying to really discuss that play, more, if it was your choice, in the game of a 2 man advantage or a free shot what would you take?)

I would've have taken the Penalty Shot. Even though putting them on the PK would've been more advantageous. With a guy like Sundin, I would've just let him take the shot.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Sure didn't help them in the end! ^_^

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

If it was a true power play (the guy sits in the box two minutes, regardless of how many times a team scores), I'd take the power play.

Penalty shot conversion percentages aren't all that great. Converting on the power plays, however, are a better percentage. Add to that the offending team is less likely to score for two minutes being a player short than they would if both sides are even-strength.

Choosing the power play is more advantageous in the long haul than a penalty shot.

i would rather have a poweplay than a penalty shot. you only get one chance to score if you have a penalty shot but if you have a powerplay you could have number of chances to score.

true, but that penalty shot, is a one on one with the goalie, taking the powerplay as was seen in Torotnos' 6-0 win last night, doesn't nessicarely mean a scoring chance, as Ottawa learned.

untitled-6.jpg

i would rather have a poweplay than a penalty shot. you only get one chance to score if you have a penalty shot but if you have a powerplay you could have number of chances to score.

true, but that penalty shot, is a one on one with the goalie, taking the powerplay as was seen in Torotnos' 6-0 win last night, doesn't nessicarely mean a scoring chance, as Ottawa learned.

Which conversion rate is higher: Penalty shot, or power play?

And now with the shootouts, there are more in-depth scouting reports about a shooter's best move, how he tends to shoot and such, the PS conversion rate will drop over time.

What percentage of the shootouts last season ended 1-0?

Archived