Penalty, or Penalty Shot?

zer0dotcom

Watching Sundin's PS last night got me thinking; in that situation, or one similar, would it be more advantagious to select a two minute penalty, or a penalty shot?

EDIT: Yeah, I see it. I guess we gotta re-learn how to post polls...

Say, in a case where it isn't a close call, or unlike last night. You're just playing hockey, and the referee gives you the option of a power play (2mins) or a penalty shot, which would you take then?

(I wasn't trying to really discuss that play, more, if it was your choice, in the game of a 2 man advantage or a free shot what would you take?)

Say, in a case where it isn't a close call, or unlike last night. You're just playing hockey, and the referee gives you the option of a power play (2mins) or a penalty shot, which would you take then?

(I wasn't trying to really discuss that play, more, if it was your choice, in the game of a 2 man advantage or a free shot what would you take?)

I would've have taken the Penalty Shot. Even though putting them on the PK would've been more advantageous. With a guy like Sundin, I would've just let him take the shot.

If it was a true power play (the guy sits in the box two minutes, regardless of how many times a team scores), I'd take the power play.

Penalty shot conversion percentages aren't all that great. Converting on the power plays, however, are a better percentage. Add to that the offending team is less likely to score for two minutes being a player short than they would if both sides are even-strength.

Choosing the power play is more advantageous in the long haul than a penalty shot.

i would rather have a poweplay than a penalty shot. you only get one chance to score if you have a penalty shot but if you have a powerplay you could have number of chances to score.

true, but that penalty shot, is a one on one with the goalie, taking the powerplay as was seen in Torotnos' 6-0 win last night, doesn't nessicarely mean a scoring chance, as Ottawa learned.

i would rather have a poweplay than a penalty shot. you only get one chance to score if you have a penalty shot but if you have a powerplay you could have number of chances to score.

true, but that penalty shot, is a one on one with the goalie, taking the powerplay as was seen in Torotnos' 6-0 win last night, doesn't nessicarely mean a scoring chance, as Ottawa learned.

Which conversion rate is higher: Penalty shot, or power play?

And now with the shootouts, there are more in-depth scouting reports about a shooter's best move, how he tends to shoot and such, the PS conversion rate will drop over time.

What percentage of the shootouts last season ended 1-0?

Archived