Troy fries Rice, 41-17.

sacker12

I just got back today from New Orleans for our bowl game. I stayed there from Monday afternoon until this morning. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience there. I had a lot of fun during this trip, and surely enjoyed this game a lot more than my first bowl game in San Jose two years ago. The Superdome was great, but it was also kind of wierd to me. It felt like I was in the day where time stood still. However, the fact that we were in perfect conditions was a huge bonus. I was so pumped about winning this game, especially winning it by the margin of victory that we did.

If any of you guys watched the game on ESPN2, then you most likely saw me a lot. I was the one in the black shirt near the line of scrimmage on the Rice sideline. All in all, it was a blast.

How many do you already have?

Just the one from my first bowl game two years ago in San Jose.

In reply to the other comment, I think that Rice just added yellow to their main scheme just this year. I had only seen them use navy, gray, and white in previous years. Yellow was only used as an accent color on the previous helmet with the owl wings. Quite honestly, I think that it looks quite good.

I just got back today from New Orleans for our bowl game. I stayed there from Monday afternoon until this morning. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience there. I had a lot of fun during this trip, and surely enjoyed this game a lot more than my first bowl game in San Jose two years ago. The Superdome was great, but it was also kind of wierd to me. It felt like I was in the day where time stood still. However, the fact that we were in perfect conditions was a huge bonus. I was so pumped about winning this game, especially winning it by the margin of victory that we did.

If any of you guys watched the game on ESPN2, then you most likely saw me a lot. I was the one in the black shirt near the line of scrimmage on the Rice sideline. All in all, it was a blast.

Perhaps you can answer my question, then.

I've noticed in college football that there's always a person or two from one team standing on the other team's sidelines, and the other team does the same thing. What are their jobs, why do they stand on the opposing sideline, and what's the importance/advantage in this?

Sorry for the delayed response, but I've been away from internet access for the past few days.

On each sideline, there are two people with game balls in their hands: one person stands at least 5 yards from the official closest to the line of scrimmage, the other stands at least 5 yards from the official farthest from the line of scrimmage.

The home team is supposed to supply the ballboys for each team, even though the road team has the option of using some of their own for the game. The home team also has the right to designate ballboys for the visting sidelines. The main reason why there are people to do balls on that sideline is mainly to help the official spot the ball whenever 1) a measurement is needed or 2) a player or kick goes out of bounds. However, it is also a matter of trust. Our offensive coordinator at Troy was adamant about having Troy ballboys on each sideline for every game. He did this because he was concerned about ballboys from opposing teams putting in balls that were wet, and as a result making them easier for a turnover to occur. The only game we didn't have ballboys on both sidelines was at the regular season finale at FIU. This was because the officials wouldn't allow it for some confusing reason.

To answer the other question, we sometimes have to wear special vests while doing balls, mainly at home. These vests are navy with the bright orange "X" and have a pouch in the front to hold the ball. This helps to make sure that you have the correct ball in hand during that team's possession. For example, if the road team is in possession, I put the home team's football in the pouch while I carry the road team's ball in hand.

In all the games that I've worked on the sideline (documenting the game's penalties), there would only be two ballboys on each sideline, one for the home team, one for the visitors. I've never seen it where one person had both teams' footballs.

Both ballboys would stay by the head linesman, because he is the closest to the line of scrimmage. Instead of handing in a new ball to the side judge or field judge, the ball could be handed to either linesman and tossed to the umpire, saving time.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

That does happen, too. Of course, although most are similar, many crews have their own special arrangement of where to have ballboys. Some have them at each end of the field, some have them close together.

Also, the only time we do the opposing team's ball is usually at home games, where the road team usually doesn't bring enough managers to do their balls. As a result, our managers have to do their balls as well as our balls. Also, that is another reason why we have to wear that ridiculous looking vest. That pouch in the front helps prevent a possible screwup.

Archived