Aussie rules considers names on guernseys

-kj

THANX, Primal!

WCE, eh?  Ooh, high-flying Eagles!  Alright!  Brisbane Lions

dynasty, who'd've figured?!  Most interesting AFL analysis,

too many Melbourne teams?  A 2nd Sydney team?  I like it!

Watching TV matches it literally took me years to understand & appreciate Footy.  Well worth it, a premier ball-foot game & Happy Holidays Aussie ROOLZheads!!   :laugh:

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Primal, it's interesting that I have never seen any Sekem AFL gear in Brisbane.  I didn't realise they made it.  The only Sekem stuff around the place are High School senior rugby jerseys and rugby union playing jerseys.

Curious...

All the stuff you get here is made by the team's official suppliers, eg. I got KC51 an official Adidas-made Collingwood jersey not so long ago.  You can also get Russell Athletic-made Lions jerseys, and a couple of places stock Carlton, Richmond and Geelong jerseys, all made by the team's respective suppliers.

Maybe I haven't seen any Sekem gear because (going by their website) all they manufacture are "replicas", whereas the stores seem to prefer to stock official playing jerseys because they sell better?  Just an idea...

Maybe I haven't seen any Sekem gear because (going by their website) all they manufacture are "replicas", whereas the stores seem to prefer to stock official playing jerseys because they sell better? Just an idea...

Quite possible. The only place I have seen the Sekem AFL jumpers commercially is K-Mart, which would obviously be interested in stocking a budget-priced version. Quite possibly they also sell the designs in a range of colours and minus the badging to local junior teams for them to wear onfield.

Yeah good point...didn't think of the Kmart/Target sort of places. BTW, sorry if I came across as a little anal on this...just so used to the Yanks slagging off AFL/anything that isn't baseball/gridiron on this board :)

Ahhh seppos. Can't live with em. Can't live without em :laugh: Nah I like discussing it. Always been a pet thing for me.

For anyone that is interested in purchasing AFL replica jumpers we are the official online suppliers of Sekem official AFL merchandise.

AS mentioned in this forum the jumpers do have an official AFL logo and Club logo which are sewn on, wheras the onfield jumpers have an AFL logo and the sponsors logo printed into the jumper, this is the only difference, they are made from exactly the same material (polyester)

The advantages of buying our jumpers (replicas) is that they are cheaper, which is better for parents when buying for kids because they are always growing out of them, and lets face it most young kids don't know the difference between replicas and original onfields.

Another advantage is that sponsor logos are always changing as clubs gain new sponsorship deals every so many years. You'd be surprised how many supporters wear their old jumpers to matches showing there old sponsors name - they look terrible.

Clubs also change their actual manufacturer or supplier of their jumpers ie they might be made by nike one year and change to addidas the next.

As you can see there is advantages for purchasing replica jumpers and they are official AFL merchandise as is the other merchandise we sell i.e scarves and beanies.

A number of the club logos layouts on our jumpers will be changing for the coming 2004 season.

If anyone is interested in purchasing our merchandise please visit our website www.footygearonline.com.au and use the 'contact us' for any further information.

You'd be surprised how many supporters wear their old jumpers to matches showing there old sponsors name - they look terrible.

That makes it look all the better, IMHO! Gives the jumper a bit of history and shows you to be a long-time supporter. But each to his own :) Anyway...a question: why does footygearonline sell only the home jumpers? Are you not permitted to sell the other designs, or is it just a commercial choice?

You'd be surprised how many supporters wear their old jumpers to matches showing there old sponsors name - they look terrible.

That makes it look all the better, IMHO! Gives the jumper a bit of history and shows you to be a long-time supporter. But each to his own :)

A similar thing happens in the UK when you see people in out of date soccer, for instnace, unis. Actually it makes someone look like not a truly committed fan. They bought one shirt a few years ago and couldn't be bothered to buy a new one when it came out.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Old Jerseys don't mean they don't support. Maybe it does in EuroSports seeing how every other flipping year uniforms are tinkered with or changed, but... older versions of jerseys are what have brought upon us the Retro era. Old jerseys rule (i still have my Devils red and Green Christmas Tree/Italian jerseys)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Old Jerseys don't mean they don't support. Maybe it does in EuroSports seeing how every other flipping year uniforms are tinkered with or changed, but... older versions of jerseys are what have brought upon us the Retro era. Old jerseys rule (i still have my Devils red and Green Christmas Tree/Italian jerseys)

I can see that it would be different in the US were uniforms don't change radically as often as they do in Europe. But Soccer shirts in particular do 'age' in terms of fashion quite quickly. However retro shirts are available for most teams (I have 3 retro soyuthamptin shirts for instance!!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Just read in the Courier Mail today that the AFL has said no to having player names on the back of jerseys in this year's pre-season (Wizard?  Lightning??) Cup.

Also of note, the Lions have petitioned the AFL to allow them to put player's "number of debut" on the front of their jerseys in the same vein as the Australian Cricket team has on the baggy green.  Alistair Lynch would wear #1, Voss would wear #2 etc etc.  Lynch gets #1 because he played more games for Fitzroy than Voss played for Brisbane Bears before the merger.  If the AFL agrees the number will be embroidered just below the v neck on the front of the jersey.

Just read in the Courier Mail today that the AFL has said no to having player names on the back of jerseys in this year's pre-season (Wizard? Lightning??) Cup.

Also of note, the Lions have petitioned the AFL to allow them to put player's "number of debut" on the front of their jerseys in the same vein as the Australian Cricket team has on the baggy green. Alistair Lynch would wear #1, Voss would wear #2 etc etc. Lynch gets #1 because he played more games for Fitzroy than Voss played for Brisbane Bears before the merger. If the AFL agrees the number will be embroidered just below the v neck on the front of the jersey.

The Wizard Cup. Better known as the Wizard Wok :)

Brisbane already carry 'BBFFC' on the back of their jumper, the number would go better under there.

why does footygearonline sell only the home jumpers? Are you not permitted to sell the other designs, or is it just a commercial choice?

Sekem only manufacture home jumpers because they are also used by metropolitan and country football leagues, that's why the club and AFL logos are sewn on, so as other football clubs can have their own logo.

That Brisbane idea sounds incredibly lame.

Actually a lot of international cricket teams do this, and it works really well, the number is very subtle, but it gives a feeling of history to the team. I hope the AFL agrees to this.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

That Brisbane idea sounds incredibly lame.

Actually a lot of international cricket teams do this, and it works really well, the number is very subtle, but it gives a feeling of history to the team. I hope the AFL agrees to this.

But then certain players go and get tattoos of their number on their body...and three months later the powers that be realise that they told the guy the wrong number :o :laugh:

But why not just give them that jersey number, then, rather than adding it as a different number?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

But why not just give them that jersey number, then, rather than adding it as a different number?

Because its a different thing. For instance the England cricket team are upto about number 650. That number is meant to represent that players place in a  succesion, in the history of a team. The shirt number represents there number in the current team. I was trying to find a phot earlier to show how subtle the number is, but in truth the numbers are so subtle that you really can't see them except in close up.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I think the fundamental difference between cricket and Aussie Rules is that, recent one-day games aside, cricket players do look highly anonymous onfield. Footballers already have a # on the back, and are known by that number as much as by their own name. I would describe the idea as "cute", but that's about it...

(besides, there is a big difference in importance between earning a spot in the nation's First XI and the revolving door you get at the lower levels of an AFL squad.)

The number under the badge isn't meant to identify the player. In One Day cricket, players wear a shirt number and a number under there badge. Yes there is a difference between doing this in international cricket and doing it for a mediocre AFL side, but i think giving players an idea of there place in history is no bad thing at any level of sports.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived