Aussie rules considers names on guernseys

-kj

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm mot quite sure about it. It might good for merchandising purposes in terms of promoting the players, but for some clubs the names might get lost in the guernsey design. If you look at Adelaide's shop, there is an option to put names on the back of the pre-game jerseys.

I saw, I came, I left.

I have always been fascinated with AFL "jumpers" and would like to purchase one, but I do not know what is authentic or not, as relation to NHL jerseys there are replicas and of course authentics, can someone please point me to a proper Authentic AFL vendor site?

thanks

I have always been fascinated with AFL "jumpers" and would like to purchase one, but I do not know what is authentic or not, as relation to NHL jerseys there are replicas and of course authentics, can someone please point me to a proper Authentic AFL vendor site?

thanks

I'd like to get one myself! I suggest you go to your favourite club's shop http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=buyonline or http://www.essendonfc.com.au. I think those are authentic because of the look of the material. There are replicas which do not have the clothing maufacutrer's logo or the sponsor's logo, but interestingly enough, I have a hard time to find those on the web.

I saw, I came, I left.

thanks

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=buyonline

Can't do much better than buying from the clubs themselves. There are some cheapo versions sold at dept stores for kids, but most jumpers sold to the public are the real deal or a quality replica of one. Not much goes on in the way of dodgy knockoffs, or at least not that I've seen.

But be warned, it is the off-season...'tis the season for clubs to decide they're going to change something on their jumpers or how they wear them in the year to come. Normally there's a one year notice provision for changes to the home and away jumpers but the AFL is flexible when it smells merchandising dollars :D

Every club will have a home jumper to sell. Many will have an away or clash jumper, and some will also have a training jumper or a pre-season comp jumper too.

May consider it...in 2005. Wow, the pre-season competition really is becoming a dumping ground for random ideas. I pity the good ideas that are having to compete for publicity.

Leave names for the Australian Int. Rules guernseys. Everyone knows who their own team's players are, and no one cares who the other team's players are (they're all just 'bloody mongrels' to us!)

A little looking goes a long way :)

Sekem are the licensed makers of the replica jumpers...

http://www.footygearonline.com.au

but they only produce the home designs, and the team sponsor is, as Quad mentioned, replaced with the club logo. Both patches are also sewn on, not printed into the jumper.

Quote unquote: "Overseas orders can be organised. E-mail for enquiries."

(Weird...I have a Sekem replica of the West Coast home jumper, and it has the sponsor's patch on it! But I prefer my genuine away jumper :D )

I have a what i tought Collingwood original gurnsey and adidas, AFL, Fly Emirates and Tac logos are all printed, not sawn. Is that a real deal or not? I also have a Vultures (minor league, blue and white stripes - thanks Chris) gurnsey and the vulture logo and sponsore on the back are also printed but that gurnsey was worn buy a guy on the team.

Do any of you know if any team will switch sponsores or merchandise supplier like Geelong last year swiched from Fila to Slazenger...

thanks for the help good thing you fellas are down under to tell me where to go online, as I am weary of knock offs or replicas that arent quite replicating anything.  

One last question, what are the ones with the sleeves called vs. the tank tops?  Do they use the ones with the sleeves?

thanks

Happy Holidays, All!  I'm an American Footy fan "and no longer ashamed of it"!  :D   Names on jumpers, why not?  A question for our OZ participants: What are the prospects for AFL expansion and what would be candidate cities?  Would an existing AFL team likely be relocated first and who might be a candidate?  GO Freemantle Dockers!  Funny, a sports team named after mens' slacks...!   :cool:

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

I'm a Queenslander, so the going rumours around here are that there will be a team from the Gold Coast (Southport is one of the more affluent clubs) or one from up north (Cairns is a big AFL town apparently) and it would be a natural connection to the talent pools in NT.

I wonder though if they will go the expansion road when some of the Victorian clubs aren't all that financial...I think they'd try to prop them up first.

I have a what i tought Collingwood original gurnsey and adidas, AFL, Fly Emirates and Tac logos are all printed, not sawn. Is that a real deal or not? I also have a Vultures (minor league, blue and white stripes - thanks Chris) gurnsey and the vulture logo and sponsore on the back are also printed but that gurnsey was worn buy a guy on the team.

Do any of you know if any team will switch sponsores or merchandise supplier like Geelong last year swiched from Fila to Slazenger...

Yep, sounds like a genuine Pies jumper you've got there. Does it have an 'Official AFL' or 'Onfield AFL' logo on the collar tags?

St Kilda have switched to Piping Hot (budget surf brand) for their off-field merchandise in 2004. And I think the Kangaroos will be going brandless for their 2004 jumpers (as the Bulldogs currently are - the jumper carries the club logo at the front base of the collar rather than the manufacturer's logo)

A question for our OZ participants: What are the prospects for AFL expansion and what would be candidate cities?

The chance for expansion is zero. Absolute zero. Now relocation? That's a big possibility. Several of the old VFL suburban teams are in the financial poo, and it's only a matter of time before the AFL cuts them loose. The current media rights deal requires the 16-team setup to be kept intact, but that runs out at the end of next year...(cue Jaws music).

Most likely candidates for a relocation home:

- Launceston, Tasmania (the only 'Aussie Rules state' not in the national league. But St Kilda and Hawthorn play a couple of home matches there each year).

- Somewhere in the western suburbs of Sydney, utilising what was the main stadium from the 2000 Olympics as a home ground (big population growth out there).

- Southport, Queensland (the most cashed-up Aussie Rules club outside of the AFL).

Any of Melbourne, the Western Bulldogs, the Kangaroos, or St Kilda could be candidates for the shove.

One last question, what are the ones with the sleeves called vs. the tank tops? Do they use the ones with the sleeves?

thanks

No sleeve = "jumpers"

Long sleeve = they're called... wait for it... "Long sleeve jumpers" :laugh:

Yes, the long sleeves do get used on field - it's the personal choice of the players. Some wear them an awful lot, some wear them just for really cold games, some never bother.

St Kilda have switched to Piping Hot (budget surf brand) for their off-field merchandise in 2004. And I think the Kangaroos will be going brandless for their 2004 jumpers (as the Bulldogs currently are - the jumper carries the club logo at the front base of the collar rather than the manufacturer's logo)

How about Richmond? They now have Motorola on the front with the Tiger logo as opposed to the clothing company logo!

I saw, I came, I left.

How about Richmond? They now have Motorola on the front with the Tiger logo as opposed to the clothing company logo!

Sponsor changes aren't uncommon, but yep - looks like Richmond and Nike have parted ways. I wonder who initiated that...

Archived