They Took Down the Champ

AceTen

Awww....don't have a long face over it.

I'll try. :P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

From the Barbaro Message Board...

"I can't describe the awesome whirlwind of emotions I've felt over the last eight months--you've given all of us so much strength. I plan to name my first child Barbaro, in hopes that he has half the heart that you did."

Michael Sambuceti, 24; New York, NY, USA

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Half the heart, but hopefully better leg bones.

I hope if anything is learned from this entire saga it's to make certain that folks don't underinsure their racehorses against the loss of future stud fees. Something tells me that if Barbaro's owners had a $30 million policy in place at the time his leg shot craps Barbaro would have had a shorter post-Derby celebration than Swale (look it up).

Now if you'll excuse me, I've been laughing so hard I'm nearly hoarse.

Yeah, I went there.

Sorry.

Wow, just Wow, ESPN has just gone even more over the top with this. The just had on Sportscenter a full Barbaro retrospective complete with NFL Films music and that sad piano music used in movies for sad moments. Seriously they don't go over the top like that when most human athletes die. That's just sad.

I'm glad I missed it in favour of reading Deadspin's thread. I'm still wiping tears from my eyes... for other reasons...

officialgoodnight.jpg

From the Barbaro Message Board...

"I can't describe the awesome whirlwind of emotions I've felt over the last eight months--you've given all of us so much strength. I plan to name my first child Barbaro, in hopes that he has half the heart that you did."

Michael Sambuceti, 24; New York, NY, USA

:D:D The media crazy over this horse is so retarded and it's very weird to hear all these people tal about how a horse changed their lives???????? Are you kidding me!!?? Look, it's very sad that when we as humans find no use for an animal, we just "kill" it but I know for sure the only reason Barbaro was so much a big deal to a lot of people because he/she (I don't know??) :blink: won lots of races which meant people made "TONS" of $$$$ off this horse which is pathetic when you think about. It not great for a horse to die this way but let's be serious. Tell me, How has this horse changed our lives?

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Are you kidding me!!?? Look, it's very sad that when we as humans find no use for an animal, we just "kill" it but I know for sure the only reason Barbaro was so much a big deal to a lot of people because he/she (I don't know??) :blink: won lots of races which meant people made "TONS" of $$$$ off this horse which is pathetic when you think about. It not great for a horse to die this way but let's be serious. Tell me, How has this horse changedour lives?

Actually, euthanizing the horse had nothing to do with a lack of a "use" for him. You could say he was kept alive for so long as a result of his hoped-for use as a sire. Horses are euthanized because certain injuries simply cannot be repaired and without repair the horse cannot lead a pain-free life. Also, he didn't win "lots" of races. I believe he won seven races - nothing to sneeze at but certainly not a "lot" in the grand scheme of thoroughbred racing. I stand by my prior-stated position that this horse was underinsured given the fact that his owners likely didn't foresee that he was going to be such a dominant performer in the Derby and his post-injury life was prolonged well beyond a generally accepted period of time (given his injury) so that every conceivable effort (no pun intended) could be exhausted to salvage his ability to earn princely stud fees. I'm sure that his owners will realize some sort of insurance money as a result of his death, however I doubt it's anywhere close to the $30 million some racing experts believe he would have made had he been able to recover.

Archived