My Super Bowl Rankings

NJTank

I don't think the 1972 Dolphins are the best team ever. They had the easiest schedule ever and just barely won half their games. Hell, they couldn't even run up the score in the Super Bowl.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Why not? No other team in the Super Bowl era went undefeated. The '85 Bears lost a game. The '89 49ers lost a game. The '98 Broncos lost a game. You catch my drift.

Because they played the easiest schedule of any team that's ever played in the Super Bowl. Their combined opponents record was 70-122-3. The best team they played in the regular was 8-6. Two of the 1989 49ers loss came by a combined 5 points to teams that had better record than any team the Dolphins even played in the regular season.

The Dolphins played some good teams in the playoffs, I'll give them that. But they beat each of them by 7 points, I believe. The 1989 49ers won their playoff games by scores of 41-13, 30-3 (this one, avenging a one point regular season defeat), and 55-10.

I think the Broncos getting to, what, 13-0 in the mid-90's is a lot more impressive, personally.

IUe6Hvh.png

Because they played the easiest schedule of any team that's ever played in the Super Bowl. Their combined opponents record was 70-122-3. The best team they played in the regular was 8-6. Two of the 1989 49ers loss came by a combined 5 points to teams that had better record than any team the Dolphins even played in the regular season.

The Dolphins played some good teams in the playoffs, I'll give them that. But they beat each of them by 7 points, I believe. The 1989 49ers won their playoff games by scores of 41-13, 30-3 (this one, avenging a one point regular season defeat), and 55-10.

I think the Broncos getting to, what, 13-0 in the mid-90's is a lot more impressive, personally.

I think any NFL team that goes 17-0 is a great team regardless of their schedule. Do I think the '72 Dolphins could beat the '89 Niners or the '78 Steelers? No. But to say the Dolphins weren't a great team is just silly. That '72 team was in the middle of a three straight Super Bowl run. You gotta be pretty good to do that. And for the record the '72 Redskins were a pretty good team. It wasn't like Miami was playing The Saints that day.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Can you really fault the Dolphins about the schedule? I'm pretty sure the individual teams weren't in charge of making their schedules back then.

They played the schedule given to them, and beat everyone. The '85 Bears lost to an inferior team during the season. The '72 Dolphins didn't.

Ironically the Bears lost to the Dolphins in 85. The Dolphins should have gone to the Super Bowl that would have been very interesting, but on the sideline that night the Bears lost almost the entire 72 Dolphins team who went there to root on the current Dolphins. I was 10 and I remember that game like it was yesterday my favorite all time MNF game til this day.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Can you really fault the Dolphins about the schedule? I'm pretty sure the individual teams weren't in charge of making their schedules back then.

They played the schedule given to them, and beat everyone. The '85 Bears lost to an inferior team during the season. The '72 Dolphins didn't.

I'm not 'faulting' them. I'm saying that they went undefeated because of a weak schedule. Of course they went out and beat who they played. They didn't beat one team that was, what amounts to on a 16 game schedule, 9-7 -- 9-7 isn't even good enough to make the playoffs usually.

Just because it's not their fault that they played a weak schedule doesn't make them any better of a team. If the 1989 49ers played a regular season schedule of all non-playoff teams, they'd have gone undefeated too.

IUe6Hvh.png

As predictable as having the Dolphins at #1 is, its still a legitimate claim.

Anyways, here goes my homer rant.... The 96 Packers as 20 is way, way, way too low IMO. They should be top 10, maybe top 5. They had the best offense and defense in the league. They scored the most points and allowed the fewest. Plus a spectacular Special Teams. They featured the NFL MVP, and cruised through the season (13-3, and all 3 of those losses were close, on the road, and against tough teams).

In the playoffs they won by at least 14 in every game.

To have them as #20 out of 40 Super Bowl winners is ridiculous! But hey its all opinion, so no big deal, but IMO they were one of the most elite teams ever.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Archived