My colossal Super Bowl trivia tidbit

spyboy1

Curious as to the answer, I did a bit of a search and discovered that Chicago and Indianapolis are the two closest cities to ever play each other in a Super Bowl.

The distance comes in at 159 miles.

The other closest ones were

New York Jets vs. Baltimore Colts 173

New York Giants vs. Baltimore Ravens 173

New England Patriots (using Boston) vs. Philadelphia 273

Oddly, it seems there's zero rivalry between the Bears and Colts being in the NFC and AFC respectively, so perhaps the only real trash talking is happening somewhere between Valparaiso and Lafayette...

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

This (the lack of a rivalry) is one of the reasons I wish the NFL would do (or would've done when they had the chance) one of two things:

(1) Completely realigned, eliminating the AFC and NFC in favor of eight geographically oriented divisions (or better yet, divisions named for greats of the game); or

(2) Eliminate the distinction between AFC and NFC when it comes to wild-card berths, awarding playoff slots to the 8 division champions and 4 wild-card teams, the latter without regard to conference or division... then seeding the 12 qualifiers league-wide, giving byes to the #1-4 seeds.

The former would see divisions with even more intense rivalries (imagine the Jets and Giants playing twice a year, or the Bucs, Falcons, Dolphins and Jaguars playing 1/2 of their schedules against one another).

The latter would make it far more likely that the two best teams in the NFL would make it to Super Bowl Sunday, as opposed to mismatches like, for example, the 49ers and Chargers in SB XXIX.

nav-logo.png

This (the lack of a rivalry) is one of the reasons I wish the NFL would do (or would've done when they had the chance) one of two things:

(1) Completely realigned, eliminating the AFC and NFC in favor of eight geographically oriented divisions (or better yet, divisions named for greats of the game); or

(2) Eliminate the distinction between AFC and NFC when it comes to wild-card berths, awarding playoff slots to the 8 division champions and 4 wild-card teams, the latter without regard to conference or division... then seeding the 12 qualifiers league-wide, giving byes to the #1-4 seeds.

The former would see divisions with even more intense rivalries (imagine the Jets and Giants playing twice a year, or the Bucs, Falcons, Dolphins and Jaguars playing 1/2 of their schedules against one another).

The latter would make it far more likely that the two best teams in the NFL would make it to Super Bowl Sunday, as opposed to mismatches like, for example, the 49ers and Chargers in SB XXIX.

Nice idea but it would never work with the TV contract. How would you determine which network got which games?

BB52Big.jpg

Nice idea but it would never work with the TV contract. How would you determine which network got which games?

And how would you determine who won the George Halas Trophy and who won the Lamar Hunt Trophy?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

And how would you determine who won the George Halas Trophy and who won the Lamar Hunt Trophy?

Actually, they would go with a format like the NHL, where only the very best regular-season team got recognized. They would win the Lorge Huntas Trophy.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

(1) See my post in another thread about how to do the TV contracts...

(2) The Halas/Hunt trophies aren't exactly sacred. They've only been around 21 years, so if they vanish its not as if the world ended - both have more stuff named for them both in the NFL and elsewhere in sports... but, otherwise, yeah, give it to the team with the best regular season record in each "conference."

nav-logo.png

Archived