Each state's university nickname

winghaz

The main college/university for ND is NDSU Bison, they are a larger school and are Division 1.

On a side note, the Mandans, Arikara and Hidatsa ARE Sioux. They are mostly known as the "Three Affiliated Tribes" and are split on whether or not UND (the Fighting Sioux) should be using the name.

Sorry, but the primary university in North Dakota is the University of North Dakota. It was founded in 1883. NDSU was founded in 1890 as the North Dakota Agricultural College, the state's land-grant college. UND is also slightly larger than NDSU. It would be fair, however, to say that UND and NDSU are the state's two primary colleges, but when going under that thought I went with the college that calls itself "university of" unless a state has a different system, such as Ohio and Pennsylvania.

As for the Three Affiliated Tribes, Mandans and Hidatsas are Siouan tribes but are not considered branches of Sioux. For example, the Hidatsa language was closely akin to the Crows, and the Crows and Sioux were enemies. Also, after being nearly obliterated by a smallpox epidemic brought here by the whites, what was left of the Mandans was nearly wiped out altogether by Sioux raids on their villages.

The Arikaras, although living in the same area as Mandans and Hidatsas, are of the Caddoan language family, which is close to Pawnee, not Sioux.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are talking about state universities, I noticed you put the University of New Mexico and not New Mexico State. NMSU's nickname are the Aggies and I think that's fine for a school that was a land grant university. So for the two major universities in New Mexico they both have fine nicknames. Even if I do dislike the Lobos.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

The main college/university for ND is NDSU Bison, they are a larger school and are Division 1.

On a side note, the Mandans, Arikara and Hidatsa ARE Sioux. They are mostly known as the "Three Affiliated Tribes" and are split on whether or not UND (the Fighting Sioux) should be using the name.

Sorry, but the primary university in North Dakota is the University of North Dakota. It was founded in 1883. NDSU was founded in 1890 as the North Dakota Agricultural College, the state's land-grant college. UND is also slightly larger than NDSU. It would be fair, however, to say that UND and NDSU are the state's two primary colleges, but when going under that thought I went with the college that calls itself "university of" unless a state has a different system, such as Ohio and Pennsylvania.

As for the Three Affiliated Tribes, Mandans and Hidatsas are Siouan tribes but are not considered branches of Sioux. For example, the Hidatsa language was closely akin to the Crows, and the Crows and Sioux were enemies. Also, after being nearly obliterated by a smallpox epidemic brought here by the whites, what was left of the Mandans was nearly wiped out altogether by Sioux raids on their villages.

The Arikaras, although living in the same area as Mandans and Hidatsas, are of the Caddoan language family, which is close to Pawnee, not Sioux.

NDSU is the bigger school. Period.

Being from FARGO, I thought you'd know that. Apparently, I am wrong. Last time I checked, the Mandans are known as the Mandan Sioux. The Hidatsa? They're the Hidatsa Sioux. How do I know this? Not only do I work with a slew of Hidatsa Sioux, I am also friends with a large number of them.

NDSU is the main college in the state.

This is actually a really interesting thread. No doubt it was going to start a firestorm, but I find it interesting what the casual fan thinks of different nicknames. People who have developed lifelong loyalties to their schools are always going to think their name is superior, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world thinks so. Take Ohio State for example. Of course somebody with an Ohio State avitar is going to say that Buckeyes is a great nickname, but face it, to anyone not from Ohio it is just a nut.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived