Each state's university nickname

winghaz

This thread needs to be graveyarded fast.

A couple of reasons:

I decided to rate the different nicknames for each state's main university.

Alabama is not Alabama's main university. Auburn has a larger enrollment (and even then Troy beats Auburn when it comes to total system enrollment) and would be considered a traditional "State school". The same can can be said about LSU and Louisiana and probably half the schools on this list. Just because a school is more familiar to you doesn't mean its the state's main university.

Wow, another barner who still can't get over the fact that they aren't a part of THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA. Listen, I am an Alabama fan, however, I am also a student at NC State University, which is basically the North Carolina equivalent of Auburn (Agriculture and what-not). I'm proud to be part of the Wolfpack, however, everyday I see the same type mentality that NC State is more of a state school than UNC, based on enrollment.

But the truth of the matter is, enrollment does not denote the state university. People here use the same argument about NC State's enrollment being higher than Carolina's making it the true state school. Also, when people think of Alabama or North Carolina, they think of either the state or the school.

Finally, I have nothing against Auburn University, and I have actually had just as many family members attend Auburn as I have had attend Alabama, or Jacksonville State for that matter. I understand Auburn has higher enrollment than Alabama, but the same could be argued for NC State over Carolina, but people associate the flagship institutions with the name of the state.

And also, look up the history of the Crimson Tide mascot, like many other mascots on this board, it has a valid and traditional connection with the university and athletic programs.

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread needs to be graveyarded fast.

A couple of reasons:

I decided to rate the different nicknames for each state's main university.

Alabama is not Alabama's main university. Auburn has a larger enrollment (and even then Troy beats Auburn when it comes to total system enrollment) and would be considered a traditional "State school". The same can can be said about LSU and Louisiana and probably half the schools on this list. Just because a school is more familiar to you doesn't mean its the state's main university.

Wow, another barner who still can't get over the fact that they aren't a part of THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA. Listen, I am an Alabama fan, however, I am also a student at NC State University, which is basically the North Carolina equivalent of Auburn (Agriculture and what-not). I'm proud to be part of the Wolfpack, however, everyday I see the same type mentality that NC State is more of a state school than UNC, based on enrollment.

But the truth of the matter is, enrollment does not denote the state university. People here use the same argument about NC State's enrollment being higher than Carolina's making it the true state school. Also, when people think of Alabama or North Carolina, they think of either the state or the school.

Finally, I have nothing against Auburn University, and I have actually had just as many family members attend Auburn as I have had attend Alabama, or Jacksonville State for that matter. I understand Auburn has higher enrollment than Alabama, but the same could be argued for NC State over Carolina, but people associate the flagship institutions with the name of the state.

And also, look up the history of the Crimson Tide mascot, like many other mascots on this board, it has a valid and traditional connection with the university and athletic programs.

Flagship school and State school are two different things. State schools were mostly founded as land-grant schools. That's one of my main criteria in determining the "State School". I'm perfectly proud of the fact that Auburn isn't part of the University of Alabama system. It's a terrible system and is too spread out to correctly operate. The University of Alabama system focuses all it's resources in Tuscaloosa instead of spreading them evenly amongst Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, and Huntsville.

When you say "The State University" I take that to mean the "State School". Schools established under the Morill Act. When you traditionally say a school is a "State School" That's what you mean.

Land Grant Schools include:

Auburn

Alaska

University of Arizona

University of Arkansas

UC Berkeley

Colorado State

UConn

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Purdue

Iowa State

Kansas State

Kentucky

LSU

Maine

Maryland

UMass

Minnesota

Mississippi State

Missouri

Montana State

Nevada-Reno

New Hampshire

Rutgers

NC State

North Dakota State

Ohio State

Oklahoma State

Oregon State

Penn State

South Dakota State

Tennessee

Texas A&M

Utah State

Vermont

Virginia Tech

Washington State

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Not all these schools were established under the Morrill Act. But it did help them grow. That's what a "State School" is.

I could care less about Auburn vs Alabama. (in this matter)

Just 'cause I'm feeling homerish today...

Michigan Wolverines: A-minus. Powerful nickname and it's the Wolverine state.

Minnesota Gophers: D. Minnesota may be the Gopher state, but is that something to be proud of?

Wisconsin Badgers: D. See Minnesota Gophers.

So Wolverines are okay but Badgers aren't? :blink:

Alaska-Anchorage is the flagship school of the University of Alaska system

Actually, you're wrong on this one, Loren. Fairbanks is considered the main campus, while Anchorage has the largest student body. It's rare that I get to call you out on a mistake, so I'm going to enjoy this :P

University of Alaska System

QPR%20Sig.png

just for the hell it:

Univeristy of California System:

Berkeley - Golden Bears

Davis - Aggies

Irvine - Anteaters

Los Angeles - Bruins

Merced - Bobcats

Riverside - Highlanders

San Diego - Tritons

Santa Barbara - Gauchos

Santa Cruz - Banana Slugs

California State University System:

San Jose - Spartans

Chico - Wildcats

San Diego - Aztecs

San Francisco - Gators

Poly San Luis Obispo - Mustangs

Fresno - Bulldogs

Humboldt - Lumberjacks

Maritime (Vallejo) - Keelhaulers

Poly Pomona - Broncos

Los Angeles - Golden Eagles

Sacramento - Hornets

Long Beach - 49ers

East Bay (Hayward) - Pioneers

Fullerton - Titans

Northridge - Matadors

Stanislaus (Turlock) - Warriors

Dominguez Hills (Carson) - Toros

Sonoma - Seawolves

San Barnardino - Coyotes

Bakersfield - Roadrunners

San Marcos - Cougars

Monterey Bay (Seaside) - Otters

Channel Islands (Camarillo) - Dolphins

Here's the Texas version of the list:

University of Texas System:

Arlington - Mavericks

Austin - Longhorns

Brownsville - Scorpions

Dallas - Comets

El Paso - Miners

Pan American (Edinburg) - Broncos

Permian Basin (Odessa) - Falcons

San Antonio - Roadrinners

Tyler - Patriots

Texas A&M System:

College Station - Aggies

Commerce - Lions

Corpus Christi - Islanders

Kingsville - Javelinas

Prairie View A&M - Panthers

Tarleton State (Stephenville) - Texans

International (Laredo) - Dustdevils

West Texas A&M (Canyon) - Buffalo

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

Penn State is the land grant state institution chartered in 1855, but the Pennsylvania System of Higher Educations features:

Bloomsberg Huskies, California Vulcans, Cheyney Wolves, Clarion Golden Eagles, East Stroudsberg Warriors, Edinboro Scots, Indiana Crimson Hawks, Kutztown Golden Bears, Lock Haven Bald Eagles, Mansfield Mountaineers, Millersville Maurauders, Shippensburg Raiders, Slippery Rock Rockets, West Chester Golden Rams.

There are various other Penn State campuses throughout the state, but they are small and I think they all use the main campus's colors and logos.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

On New Jersey, I'm going with Rutgers because I can't find a University of New Jersey.

New Jersey -- Rutgers Knights: C. Too generic.

You cant find a University of NJ because there is none, Rutgers is THE state university of New Jersey.

Many a time in the past 10 years or so, some dumbass politician things its a great idea to change the name of Rutgers to UNJ. Why they would want to change the name of an institution that dates back to 1766, 10 years before the revolutionary war (and yes, I know it was founded as Queens College, but still), and is the birthplace of college football is beyond me.

Of course as alumni, we all freak out everytime that comes up, and it never happens, and never will.

Plus, we are the SCARLET Knights, not just the knights, which is far from generic.

On New Jersey, I'm going with Rutgers because I can't find a University of New Jersey.

New Jersey -- Rutgers Knights: C. Too generic.

You cant find a University of NJ because there is none, Rutgers is THE state university of New Jersey.

Many a time in the past 10 years or so, some dumbass politician things its a great idea to change the name of Rutgers to UNJ. Why they would want to change the name of an institution that dates back to 1766, 10 years before the revolutionary war (and yes, I know it was founded as Queens College, but still), and is the birthplace of college football is beyond me.

Of course as alumni, we all freak out everytime that comes up, and it never happens, and never will.

Plus, we are the SCARLET Knights, not just the knights, which is far from generic.

There is, of course, the COLLEGE of New Jersey (i.e., the college formerly known as Trenton State College). If I recall correctly, its nickname is the Lions (however, I welcome any residents of the Garden State to correct me).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

SUNY Universitys

University Centers-D1

University at Buffalo, The State University of New York - Bulls

University at Albany, The State University of New York - Great Danes

Binghamton University - Bearcats

Stony Brook University - SeaWolves

University Colleges-Lower than D1

Buffalo State College - Bengals

State University of New York at Brockport - Golden Eagles

State University of New York at Cortland - Red Dragons

State University of New York at Fredonia - Blue Devils

State University of New York at Geneseo - Knights

State University of New York at New Paltz - Hawks

State University of New York at Old Westbury - Panthers

State University of New York at Oneonta - Red Dragons

State University of New York at Oswego - Great Lakers

State University of New York at Plattsburgh - Cardinals

State University of New York at Potsdam - Bears

State University of New York at Purchase - Panthers

University at Buffalo is the only D1 Football team (If you can call them D1 :)) and also has the largest enrolment in the SUNY System

saBS.png

i was just pointing out people who are from OHIO, like URBAN MYER, still to this day carry them on their person.

That's Urban MEyer, National Champion Coach for the Ages, Emperor of the Universe, and All-around Nice Guy. :P

Unless you are affiliated with Bowling Green, Utah, and probably Florida in a few years when he bolts to the NFL. He's just a younger version of Nick Saban.

Actually, you're wrong on this one, Loren. Fairbanks is considered the main campus, while Anchorage has the largest student body. It's rare that I get to call you out on a mistake, so I'm going to enjoy this :P

University of Alaska System

Curses, I've been foiled!

snidely.jpg

...and I'm completely aware of the fact that Urban Meyer, National Champion Coach for the Ages, Emperor of the Universe, and All-around Nice Guy may just bolt to the NFL one day soon. Unlike some certain cretins in East Baton Rouge Parish, I completely understand that certain coaches have an affront to setting roots anywhere, and Urban Meyer, National Champion Coach for the Ages, Emperor of the Universe, and All-around Nice Guy is probably that kind of person.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Urban Meyer, National Champion Coach for the Ages, Emperor of the Universe, and All-around Nice Guy is probably that kind of person.

i believe that he's actually a serial killer. and he moves so he doesnt get caught for his many groutest murders.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Penn State is the land grant state institution chartered in 1855, but the Pennsylvania System of Higher Educations features:

Bloomsberg Huskies, California Vulcans, Cheyney Wolves, Clarion Golden Eagles, East Stroudsberg Warriors, Edinboro Scots, Indiana Crimson Hawks, Kutztown Golden Bears, Lock Haven Bald Eagles, Mansfield Mountaineers, Millersville Maurauders, Shippensburg Raiders, Slippery Rock Rockets, West Chester Golden Rams.

There are various other Penn State campuses throughout the state, but they are small and I think they all use the main campus's colors and logos.

Pennsylvania actually breaks down like this.

Commonwealth System of Higher Education

University of Pittsburgh - Panthers

Temple University - Owls

Pennsylvania State University - Nittany Lions

Lincoln University - Lions

The Commonwealth System of Higher Education is the organizing body of Pennsylvania's state-related schools. The term "state-related" applies to universities in the state of Pennsylvania which are considered public universities, but which are under independent control rather than that of the state.

With the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education schools posted earlier.

i believe that he's actually a serial killer. and he moves so he doesnt get caught for his many groutest murders.

Well, his latest one in Glendale was there for everyone to see. No arrests on that one yet... :P;)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Shouldn't Penn State University really be Penn Commonwealth University?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

*Penn State Nittany Lions: A-minus. Great name and represents Pennsylvania, even though there may not have been mountain lions in the Nittany Mountains (from what I read).
Well there were mountain lions in the area, known as Nittany Lions. If you're ever on campus and stop by the main entrance to the Patee Library and look to your right there is one preserved one on display.

I believe it was 1903 (could be wrong about the year, but it was the early 1900's) when a student dressed up as the lion to inspire a crowd...and the rest is history...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Since other state systems have nicknames posted in this thread, I might as well go ahead and post those for Wisconsin:

Research Institutions

University of Wisconsin-Madison -- Badgers

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee -- Panthers

Comprehensive Universities

University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire -- Blugolds

University of Wisconsin-Green Bay -- Fighting Phoenix

University of Wisconsin-La Crosse -- Eagles

University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh -- Titans

University of Wisconsin-Parkside (Kenosha) -- Rangers

University of Wisconsin-Platteville -- Pioneers

University of Wisconsin-River Falls -- Falcons

University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point -- Pointers