Flyers logos

FlyersHockey1967

It happens every so often. I enter the Concepts board and look around. I then find a Flyers jersey concept, then click on it. I see some great designs, some not so great. But there is one constant, one thing that is the exact same in all of them and it annoys me like none other. It bugs the hell out of me and I want to see it eliminated.

How is it that we've got all of these designing geniuses and bright minds and yet we still can't see it?

I am talking, of course, about the jersey crest.

Ah, the simple yet elegant orange puck surrounded by the philly P with the streaking wings. But, it does NOT belong on the jersey. The majority of Flyers fans will recognize that the crest on the uniform uses not the stock curved wing logo, but a different sharp winged logo.

I am still amazed at how many concepts still use the incorrect logo. I see it everywhere, even in professional retail, where companies like Starter have made replica jerseys with the wrong logo!

So, I would like to end this once and for all.

This is the familiar stock photo:

phi161nq3.gif

This is what it SHOULD look like:

flyers_big.jpg

defaultactionshotpi6.jpg

33hooligan graciously made these sharp winged logos, so PLEASE, please use these for your jersey concepts!

PhiladelphiaFlyers1vcopy.jpg

PhiladelphiaFlyers1vNOcopy.jpg

If you need a vector, you can use a program like Adobe Illustrator or even Inkscape and use the free trace option to make it into a vector. I tried it and it should vector it correctly, including the curves and stuff. I would post mine here but imageshack doesn't take vectors. :D

Maybe the people making the concepts are aware of the difference, but think that it would be better to be consistent and use one winged-p for logo and uniform?

We've seen several concepts where people try to standardize the Tigers' Ds and the Yankees NYs. This would be no different.

The concepts forum is for creative exploration, and nobody should be limited by the confines of current-day usage. I'll agree that the actual production jersey issue with the Starters and Pro Players etc. is inexcusable.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For once, i'd like to see a new direction in the flyers logo.

Out with the old, let the team go in a new direction this next season with new blood, new jerseys and a new logo...too bad they won't for the logo but the rest they are.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

• 2 weeks later...

While I think that the "necessity" to use the angled-wing version in concepts is overrated, I do feel the need to point out that the angled-wing (or "real version" as you put it) never appears with a black outline. Only the curved wing logo ever has a black outline.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

While I think that the "necessity" to use the angled-wing version in concepts is overrated, I do feel the need to point out that the angled-wing (or "real version" as you put it) never appears with a black outline. Only the curved wing logo ever has a black outline.

True enough. The black, to me at least, is merely a place holder. Easier to have one image that you can remove the outline of so that it can be used on both colored and white jerseys.

It's more difficult to detect this detail difference than the different Detroit Ds.

Probably because Detroit uses both Ds at the same time, so the difference is staring you right in the face.

Archived