New York Empire

commander cody13

Decent start. Some thoughts:

1. Don't apologize for using MSPaint. I use it, and many others do here as well. A well-designed Paint project can look good - as good as some projects with high-end design software - if you're willing to be diligent and pay attention to details and cleanliness.

2. Assuming you're representing New York City (judging by the Empire State Building) rather than the whole state, consider using New York City's colors of blue and orange. I know the Isles (and Knicks... and Mets...) use them, but it's just a thought. On the other hand, blue and gold is fine.

3. The building itself is a little too stocky to be the Empire State Building. The building also doesn't taper as severely as your graphic's does, and the TV tower is a little more obliquely angled so as to look conical. Since drawing the ESB to scale would leave you with a lot of negative space inside the circle, you may have to resort to slanting the building to provide a sense of perspective. Drawing it from the true horizontal angle will not work as well as you'd hope here.

4. The wordmark... please no Copperplate. It's overdone, and doesn't work 90% of the time. If nothing else, the font that always reminds me of the ESB is a 1920's Art Deco style font (think the opening graphics to the "Miami Vice" TV series), as seen on the front awning at the entrance (you can likely find it through Google Images - "Empire State Building entrance"). The ESB is also one of the best-known examples of Art Deco architecture. The tie-in would work better, though even that may not work for a hockey team.

Keep at it; this could end up nicely.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

its not bad and i really do prefer the simplicity of the old school 70s logos.

but if you dont mind, i have tarted up the idea a tad and given it a slightly more contemporary look.

i hope you like it.

nye.jpg

but if you dont mind, i have tarted up the idea a tad and given it a slightly more contemporary look.

i hope you like it.

nye.jpg

Thanks guys.

Thats freaking nuts man. I think i will use that, with your permision of course.

BANNER.png

fill yer boots mate.

have given it a quick tweek.

ny colours are blue and gold according to my sourse: the internet.

New York State's colors are blue and gold. I was referring to New York City's colors of orange, white and blue - as seen on their flag. I guess it depends on which New York he is referring to with his team.

[from Wikipedia]

"The official Flag of the City of New York is designed to bear the same colors (orange, white, and blue) as the flag of the United Netherlands used in 1625, the year New Amsterdam was settled on the island of Manhattan. Located in the center is a blue print of the official Seal of New York City."

[from the New York City Department of Citywide Services Green Book]

"Description: A flag combining the colors orange, white and blue arranged in perpendicular bars of equal dimensions (the blue being nearest to the flagstaff) with the standard design of the seal of the city in blue upon the middle, or white bar, bearing the number 1625, which colors shall be the same as those of the flag of the United Netherlands in use in the year sixteen hundred twenty-five."

All that aside, that revision is incredible. Well done - and I like the metallic gold.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

fill yer boots mate.

have given it a quick tweek.

ny colours are blue and gold according to my sourse: the internet.

New York State's colors are blue and gold. I was referring to New York City's colors of orange, white and blue - as seen on their flag. I guess it depends on which New York he is referring to with his team.

[from Wikipedia]

"The official Flag of the City of New York is designed to bear the same colors (orange, white, and blue) as the flag of the United Netherlands used in 1625, the year New Amsterdam was settled on the island of Manhattan. Located in the center is a blue print of the official Seal of New York City."

[from the New York City Department of Citywide Services Green Book]

"Description: A flag combining the colors orange, white and blue arranged in perpendicular bars of equal dimensions (the blue being nearest to the flagstaff) with the standard design of the seal of the city in blue upon the middle, or white bar, bearing the number 1625, which colors shall be the same as those of the flag of the United Netherlands in use in the year sixteen hundred twenty-five."

All that aside, that revision is incredible. Well done - and I like the metallic gold.

bang to rights.

could do a bit of a switcheroo i guess.

bang to rights.

could do a bit of a switcheroo i guess.

Actually, I wouldn't. I like your version as it is; adding orange may be too much like the Oilers or Islanders. My vote's for leaving well enough alone and accepting a big round of applause for your work.

2007nleastchamps.png

i hope you like it.

nye.jpg

When I see the font I think "Star Trek"

I think it's a little cheesy.

Like VitaminD said, go for an art deco font, it'll be visually more interesting.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Respectfully, I disagree. While an art deco font may have looked good with the original logo in this thread (due to it's simplicity), I think the font davidson used is quite nice. Clean, succinct, and to the point. No need to smack the viewer upside the head with an art deco font when the design is as contemporary as it is.

The only tweak i would make is to join the lower gold portion of the building with the inner gold circle on the right side, but only the right side. I believe that would give it just a little more depth.

Since I'm a more visual person, I'll just say "do this":

EmpireRevision.gif

With that said, I think this is an excellent logo.

ny empire...great idea, wish i'd have thought of it before... <_<

sarcasm aside, this is much better than the idea i had before.

I guarantee you aren't the first person to ever think of the "New York Empire" idea.

The only tweak i would make is to join the lower gold portion of the building with the inner gold circle on the right side, but only the right side. I believe that would give it just a little more depth.

Since I'm a more visual person, I'll just say "do this":

EmpireRevision.gif

With that said, I think this is an excellent logo.

I guarantee you aren't the first person to ever think of the "New York Empire" idea.

Funny you mention that! This morning before work I was looking this and thought to myself that the white outline on the right of the building should stop as well, and used livetrace for an approximation of this logo, and changed that bit. The one other thing I changed was the rounded shading on the building makes it look slightly cartoony. I changed it to long, sharp, tapering horizontal shading lines and though it looked a bit better. I'll throw that up here later so you can see what I mean.

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

...wow man my bad. i forgot that this board lacks anyone with a sense of humor.

if you didn't actually read the WHOLE comment, the second line begins with "SARCASM aside"

meaning that i was being sarcastic. i know i'm not the first person with the name idea and never seriously made that claim in the first place. i said that simply to be funny, but i guess i missed the mark on that one. in the future i'll refrain from leaving comments like this, since it seems that i'm not the comedian i'd hoped to be.

back to the logo in question. I stand by my previously stated, though probably unread, comment. I agree with fiasco's comment about the inner ring shading needing to match the outer ring, but i don't think that the ring and building need to be connected. then again i'm pretty new to this, so...do what you want. i'm sure whatever happens it will turn out great! ^_^

...wow man my bad. i forgot that this board lacks anyone with a sense of humor.

Especially me, I'm an unfunny s.o.b.

Archived