USFL.INFO

While I realize the audience for such information may be limited, I just thought I'd give an update on my USFL.INFO project with 10 days to go before it "goes live" on May 11th, the 25th anniversary of the announcement that the United States Football League would launch in March, 1983.

As I write this the total page count is at 528 (a number that will increase before launch, probably to around 550-600) and the total graphic/image count is 745 (and if that's not over 1,000 when I'm done, I'd be surprised), but not nearly enough of them are completed for my liking. The 19 team sections have pages, almost 350 of 'em in fact, but that's about it - they need populating still despite my whacking out about 40 pages of content today. Every time I turn around, I'm gathering more material, and I'm just piling on myself - today I sent out 20 e-mails to former players I have tracked down, trying to get interviews in with some of them at some point in the 10 days I have left before launch. I literally have a stack of stuff a foot and a half high on my desk right now.

Anyway, enough ranting. I'm concerned I won't have the site fully populated and functional on the 11th, but something tells me I'll pull it out in the end. In the meantime, those of you who looked at the original design may be in for a surprise - I revamped the look and feel, opting for a graphic-based navigation menu.

To get a preview of what I have up and ready thus far, visit USFL.INFO. If you'd like to take a look at what a team section will look like (unfinished though), visit ArizonaWranglers.info.

Oh, and for those of you who helped out in one way or another with the site - please drop me a PM to let me know how you'd like your site credit to read, so I can properly acknowledge your contribution to the site's look and feel.

nav-logo.png

My only comment is actually a question --

Where do you find the time and/or passion to put together something so thorough, informative and visually attractive?

And I swear I will try to get you pictures of my Philadelphia Stars stadium workers' jacket and my Baltimore Stars hat (if it still exists).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

My only comment is actually a question --

Where do you find the time and/or passion to put together something so thorough, informative and visually attractive?

And I swear I will try to get you pictures of my Philadelphia Stars stadium workers' jacket and my Baltimore Stars hat (if it still exists).

I've just managed to organize my business in a fashion that requires as little of my involved time as possible, that's all. I busted my ass in my 20's to get things to this point, so now in my late 30's, I've started enjoying it. :) I don't need to have $100 million in the bank, and I know I'll be lucky to live to 50, so I'm doing now what most people do in their 50's and 60's, that's all.

Once I decided how I wanted things to look, slapping most of it together was easy. A little more time consuming than I'd anticipated, but worth it. Since I started on the site my wife's given me an ulterior motive of sorts: "With all this USFL stuff around, and all you know about it, you ought to write a book." Well, once USFL.INFO is launched and bugless, I'm going to take a crack at it.

Oh, yeah - the Chicago Blitz section is now up:

ChicagoBlitz.com,

ChicagoBlitz.info, or

USFL.INFO/blitz/,

whichever you'd prefer.

nav-logo.png

They're the easiest to put up, but unfortunately I don't have a ton of material to work with in those areas. That's in part why the primary logo's so prominent - I'm trying to take up space and fill things out. Hopefully I'll be able to get some images of some team-specific stuff, both from my own collection and elsewhere.

The Generals section is now up:

www.newjerseygenerals.info, or

www.usfl.info/generals/

Next up, the Denver Gold.

nav-logo.png

The Denver Gold are now locked and loaded at www.denvergold.info. Unfortunately it took me literally all day (13 hours anyway) as between bouts of my daughter pissing herself (not exactly potty trained yet), my wife bitching about how I'm not spending any time with her lately, and my inability to dredge up a lot of trivia about the Denver Gold I was unfocused.

Next up will probably by the LA Express, which I'm starting on in a few minutes... and probably finishing Sunday at the rate I'm going.

nav-logo.png

A few more team sections went up today. The road is slow-going; as I write this at 2335, I've been at it pretty much non-stop since 0750 this morning save time to shower, :censored:, shave, shampoo, and deal with my kid.

Currently up in "launch form" and viewable:

- Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers (www.usfl.info/breakers -or- www.bostonbreakers.info -or- www.neworleansbreakers.com -or- www.neworleansbreakers.info -or- www.portlandbreakers.info)

- Chicago Blitz (www.usfl.info/blitz -or- www.chicagoblitz.com -or- www.chicagoblitz.info)

- Denver Gold (www.usfl.info/gold -or- www.denvergold.info)

- Houston Gamblers (www.usfl.info/gamblers -or- www.houstongamblers.info)

- Jacksonville Bulls (www.usfl.info/bulls -or- www.jacksonvillebulls.info)

- Los Angeles Express (www.usfl.info/express -or- www.losangelesexpress.info)

- New Jersey Generals (www.usfl.info/generals -or- www.newjerseygenerals.info)

- San Antonio Gunslingers (www.usfl.info/gunslingers -or- www.sanantoniogunslingers.info, and possibly soon to www.sanantoniogunslingers.com)

- Tampa Bay Bandits (www.usfl.info/bandits -or- www.tampabaybandits.info)

- Washington Federals (www.usfl.info/federals -or- www.washingtonfederals.info)

Yet to be completed/tweaked:

- Arizona Wranglers

- Birmingham Stallions

- Memphis Showboats

- Michigan Panthers

- Oakland Invaders

- Oklahoma/Arizona Outlaws

- Orlando Renegades

- Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars

- Pittsburgh Maulers

- Rest of the main USFL.INFO sections that I abandoned to tackle the team sections.

I've got myself on a deadline to have the site "launch worthy" by 2pm Friday, about the time I believe the USFL was announcing its presence at "21" in New York. I doubt I'll make it at this point (there's just too much yet to be done), but whatever I have ready will be available for viewing on Friday at 2 at USFL.INFO. Stay tuned!

nav-logo.png

As of 12:01 am on this, the 25th anniversary of the announcement that the United States Football League had been formed, USFL.INFO is now online.

Unfortunately, thanks to my continuing to find more new material to add to the site, its an unfinished work. Several sections remain undone, but I thought it'd be better to put it up and work on it after the fact rather than to miss my self-imposed deadline.

If you're so inclined, please do me a favor: check out the site and do a "bug check" for me - see if you spot areas that don't look quite right, misspelled words or messed up grammar, stuff like that. Who knows? You might even be entertained and somewhat informed by it. :)

nav-logo.png

Dear Mad Mac:

This is magnificent. Thank you.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As of 12:01 am on this, the 25th anniversary of the announcement that the United States Football League had been formed, USFL.INFO is now online.

Unfortunately, thanks to my continuing to find more new material to add to the site, its an unfinished work. Several sections remain undone, but I thought it'd be better to put it up and work on it after the fact rather than to miss my self-imposed deadline.

If you're so inclined, please do me a favor: check out the site and do a "bug check" for me - see if you spot areas that don't look quite right, misspelled words or messed up grammar, stuff like that. Who knows? You might even be entertained and somewhat informed by it. :)

I will be linking you to the Sports E-Cyclopedia thsi weekend.

(If I remember)

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I really wish I'd have started about three weeks earlier than I actually did. I figured I'd spend a week doing research then the rest of the month putting the actual content in place... the only problem was that in that week, I discovered (or re-discovered) literally thousands of pieces of material, and while I decided early on I couldn't plug it all in at the start I also incorporated what I could - in the process hosing myself on time.

There are literally hundreds of additions yet to come to the site - the actual legal documents granting the expansion teams that became the Jacksonville Bulls, Pittsburgh Maulers and San Antonio Gunslingers, the league's game officials manual, the Minneapolis franchise agreement (apparently the city WAS awarded a franchise but it wasn't announced until kinks in the deal could be worked out - only that they never were), team marketing plans... enough material to keep me adding at least five to ten new web pages a day for the next five years. I put in 14-16 hours a day on it every day for a month, and am disappointed I came up short by the launch... but hopefully I'll get at least the big pieces that are left in place in the next several days or so.

Today, I'm taking a break however. My kid barely remembers who I am and I need some sleep. :)

nav-logo.png

Mad Mac:

Incredible job on the USFL web site!!! :notworthy:

I look forward to continuing to visit the site to see what other great stuff you have collected and will be adding for all visitors to enjoy.

Thank you for your exhaustive work and for sharing your passion with all of us.

A big-time salute and tip-of-the-hat!

Archived