Mac or PC?

nyjet88

-PCs aren't made for designing? I've designed on both... both are the same.

-True, the Apple mouse does suck. Like the ipod headphones. They just need to be normal on this front.

-Before you Mac people get all cocky, realize that the Mac GUI was originally developed for Apple by Xerox. Apple's most innovative design was not even their own.

-Microsoft is an evil corporation. Windows is a horrible OS. It is a ripoff of Mac OS9 that they can't even do correctly. Recycle bin? Start menu?

-Using the control key hurts my pinky on a PC when I do shortcuts

-Safari sucks

-IE is worse than Safari

-I love OSX. Though I am not crazy about the Doc. I prefer the Apple Menu from OS9.

With respect, they are not the same.

1. I have a PC at work and home running CS2. It's crashed more times than I can shake a stick at. My Mac has never crashed, nor has it ever gotten a virus.

2. Yes, the mouse is an acquired taste, but a USB PC mouse will work just fine on a Mac.

3. As long as my Mac works, I don't care if the GUI was designed by Xerox, Microsoft, or my uncle Ted.

4. Yes, Microsoft is evil, Safari sucks, and so does IE.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Ok. first of all I will tell you what I use.

I am running Photoshop CS2 on a PC with windows vista home premium.

I have 1.5 GB ram, an Athlon 64 3000+ processor and yes, a dated GeForce5700.

I have tried MAC. I didn't like it. Now before you give me "I suppose quality takes getting used to" I willt ell you that MAC possesses ZERO benefits to me.

It cannot run my games, most my software and I cannot program visual basic from a MAC easily. Nor can I design 3D rendered products in 3DSMax. Theres no MAC version.

I also like to keep ahead so buying new components is a must for me, so whilst I can toddle to the shop and get a newer more powerful processor, you MAC fans are stuck with the same core 2 processor or whatever until you buy a new PC.

Right, Thats my opinion. No need to quote that.

My main gripe with MAC fans (and I have NO problem with people owning macs, its a choice and in many places it makes sense), my main grip is that you seem so full of yourself that you talk out your backside.

Windows users often use windows for a reason. We can make choices, and we chose windows. Now I know this doesn't fit in your little perfect vision of the world, but live with it. You insist on telling us how you can "do" things faster, make things "simpler" and how your computer is just plain more "powerful".

I don't care if you have "less viruses". My virus count home here has been 0 since I can remember, I dont care if you have "no spyware", nor do I. Im not dumb, I know what's bad, I don't care if you claim to have a better interface. Vistas great, its simple and does what it should, I don't care if you "don't get crashes". Nor do I, except when I ran a dodgy VB script.

The adverts such as "PC's cobble together different programs to make videos etc." is plain rubbish, as I seem to have windows movie maker installed for that, media player to play them in and oh look, photo story for photobook. Thats not different software cobbled together, those are key windows components.

Now I wish to finish off this essay that I seem to have written by saying:

Good for you MAC users, but you'll never get me on one. Stop trying to convert us. Your worse than those door to door Jehovah witnesses. If we want to switch we will.

That and, 99% of all website hits to my site have been PC. That 1% left includes both you and Linux.

Kev.

gostars7py.jpg

I think most Mac users aren't trying to convert you, rather we are very proud and loyal to the computing platform we choose. Use a PC? That's fine. Use a Mac? Cool! You don't have to be so defensive about your choices, I can respect that you can choose for yourself.

I think most Mac users aren't trying to convert you, rather we are very proud and loyal to the computing platform we choose. Use a PC? That's fine. Use a Mac? Cool! You don't have to be so defensive about your choices, I can respect that you can choose for yourself.

I'm in agreement with Joel. If you're happy with what you have, then more power to ya. No need to be so defensive.

BTW, while I am a fervent Mac user, I do have Windows installed, and can run whatever PC program I need/want.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Those on PCs are going to experience a lot of headaches when they upgrade to CS3. I have had several PC users complain on how they wish their company would just go ahead and switch.

Im not trying to convert anyone. Just call around your local towns and check out major design firms job applications. Most of them do not speak about PC experience necessary.

I'm have an Alienware running an Athlon64 3500+, ATI X800 Pro graphics card, Western Digital 72Gb Raptor HD, and a gig of DDR RAM. Of course, it's two years old, but I imagine it would smoke most Macs from that time period in just about any program that both operating systems can run.

Btw, that's the only difference between Macs and PCs now, is the operating system. Anybody with a PC that has Mac compatible components can dual boot Windows and OS-X. Which brings me to my two biggest gripes about Macs; they're overpriced for their components (especially now) and the OS is overly simplistic. And yes, I've worked with Macs before, I learned how to make websites on a Mac and it always bugged me that Macs were so much less dynamic than my PC at home.

EDIT: Btw, if Photoshop is crashing on PCs you use, it's because either Windows or a component driver isn't set up right. Properly installed Windows XP is rock stable.

cttdolphins2.png

guys, the debate is over. surely on a design forum, this question must be taken in that context nes pas? ive owned high spec versions of both and there is only one winner. i know most people arent designers and need there computer to do many things. in which case, of course you need a pc. no argument. but if you use design software like illustartor photoshop and after effects, its a no contest. i have had super powerful rendering pcs that are not as good as my g5 now. i have one at the office and 1 at home. in 3 years they have crashed between them twice. however its the slightly less tangeble things that i much prefer. scrbbing through comps in after effects is a grind on ANY pc for some reason. illustrator doesnt crawl when i have large files with rasters and my ram previews look like the final product.

but the proof is in the pudding as they say. if you think pcs are as good for design, take a look around any design studio.

Archived