Carpenter out for 3 months with elbow surgery

rams80

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

No doubt. What's their rotation going to look like without him?

Braden Looper

Kip Wells

Adam Wainwright

Anthony Reyes

And a call-up, I presume?

Not sure of the exact order but Looper's looked good as a starter, as far as I can remember -- but if he's your ace for an extended period of time, you're in bad, bad shape. Based on numbers alone, the last three I mentioned have been terrible.

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm the eternal optimist, sure, but the season's not over, at least.

What is true is that if those numbers continue, nothing's going to happen, but Wainwright's been up and down but shown he has the ability to shut down teams and give the Cardinals a chance to win, he's just gotta do it more consistantly.

Reyes has been like that but in each indivdual game. He's brilliant for 3 innings and then one or two mixed in he gets himself in trouble.

Those two guys are both in their first full year as starters, and they're young. Some struggles have to be expected.

Wells isn't even on that level. Every now and then you go maybe he'll put it together, but he doesn't. He might, I hope he does, but he hasn't shown anything yet.

Looper I actually really believe is the real deal. Not arguing that we want him to be our ace or anything, but I do think he's gonna keep being a big surprise.

Who knows who's gonna fill that 5th spot for now though. Brad Thompson could slide into the role, but he hasn't been great this year out of the pen. Ryan Franklin HAS been great coming in in the 8th inning, but that's a good reason not to move him. Keisler could come back up, but I bet they give someone else a chance. Maybe Chris Narveson, and up and down prospect who's been around a little to long to be considered top notch, but still is up there.

But, if they can hang around with that staff, they'll get some relief eventually. Actually, guys coming off injury are never a sure thing, so who knows if it'll be relief, but Mulder will hopefully be back after the All-Star Break, and 3 months isn't quite the rest of the year, so if they're around, Carp could be a boost then.

To be honest though, as iffy as our pitch has been, it's our offense that's doing us in. We're 10-3 in games when we score 3 or more. But that's just 13 games we've scored 3 or more. That's pitiful. And while Juan Encarnacion MIGHT be able to comeback somewhat strong from a wrist injury, that's still not much. Rolen and Edmonds are the guys that need to hit, and they haven't.

Oh, well, as it turns out, there's very little reason to have confidence I suppose.

But it'd be no fun to give up now.

Damn Ive heard of seeing the world through rose colored glasses but wow man those a Cardinal Rose Colored Glasses. The Cardinals are a long shot at best at this point now.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Damn Ive heard of seeing the world through rose colored glasses but wow man those a Cardinal Rose Colored Glasses. The Cardinals are a long shot at best at this point now.

Like I said. It'd be no fun to give up now. And I've seen stranger things happen.

Oh, and the other thing is that the Cardinals might not stand pat if they continue to struggle. They may make a little shakeup, though I don't know what it would be.

I'm the eternal optimist, sure, but the season's not over, at least.

What is true is that if those numbers continue, nothing's going to happen, but Wainwright's been up and down but shown he has the ability to shut down teams and give the Cardinals a chance to win, he's just gotta do it more consistantly.

Reyes has been like that but in each indivdual game. He's brilliant for 3 innings and then one or two mixed in he gets himself in trouble.

Those two guys are both in their first full year as starters, and they're young. Some struggles have to be expected.

Wells isn't even on that level. Every now and then you go maybe he'll put it together, but he doesn't. He might, I hope he does, but he hasn't shown anything yet.

Looper I actually really believe is the real deal. Not arguing that we want him to be our ace or anything, but I do think he's gonna keep being a big surprise.

Who knows who's gonna fill that 5th spot for now though. Brad Thompson could slide into the role, but he hasn't been great this year out of the pen. Ryan Franklin HAS been great coming in in the 8th inning, but that's a good reason not to move him. Keisler could come back up, but I bet they give someone else a chance. Maybe Chris Narveson, and up and down prospect who's been around a little to long to be considered top notch, but still is up there.

But, if they can hang around with that staff, they'll get some relief eventually. Actually, guys coming off injury are never a sure thing, so who knows if it'll be relief, but Mulder will hopefully be back after the All-Star Break, and 3 months isn't quite the rest of the year, so if they're around, Carp could be a boost then.

To be honest though, as iffy as our pitch has been, it's our offense that's doing us in. We're 10-3 in games when we score 3 or more. But that's just 13 games we've scored 3 or more. That's pitiful. And while Juan Encarnacion MIGHT be able to comeback somewhat strong from a wrist injury, that's still not much. Rolen and Edmonds are the guys that need to hit, and they haven't.

Oh, well, as it turns out, there's very little reason to have confidence I suppose.

But it'd be no fun to give up now.

Good. I'm not the only one who refuses to give up on the Cards, no matter how bleek the outcome seems to be.

Archived