Arena Football question

Herk

Why do Arena Football teams (and indoor football teams for that matter) only use astroturf and nobody uses fieldturf? Indoor practice facilities house fieldturf so I figured it is possible for some Arena teams to use field turf. Is it not used because it is too expensive, or do some leagues have rules against what type of turf can be used?

Why do Arena Football teams (and indoor football teams for that matter) only use astroturf and nobody uses fieldturf? Indoor practice facilities house fieldturf so I figured it is possible for some Arena teams to use field turf. Is it not used because it is too expensive, or do some leagues have rules against what type of turf can be used?

Field turf can't roll up or fold up for easy and convenient storage (or so I've heard). Astroturf is by far the most practical

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

IIRC, strictly speaking the surface isn't even Astroturf, but a different type of surface called "dieter turf" (pronounced DEE-ter) which is also what the NLL uses.

CCSLC signature.png

It is my understanding the field turf used rubber and sand and that is is basically used for only permanent fields. Considering Arena football is played on a covered up ice hockey rink field turf can't be used because the artificial surface has to be removed for when hockey is played.

As someone who worked in the AFL I can tell you that the both the AFL and af2 have a deal with Sportexe who makes the fields. They are very good and well made and are very easy to work with. As for using that type of surface solely, it's the only alternative. When I worked in the league, we did have talks with Field Turf about possibly using their system. They were open to it; however, it was going to be difficult to use it becuase it would have been on trays and that type of system does not store easily. Rolling up the field and storing it is the best method. The field comes in 13 rolls.

dodgers-1.png

Archived