My new resumé

Mings

Alright guys, since I am shifting into the architecture portion of my life now, I decided to revamp my resumé towards that. I'm trying to create one that embodies "Less is more" in the design but still stands out and makes its way to the top of the pile.

Here is what I have so far (it is a large pic in terms of screen space, but is only 40kb):

resume.png

I picked the Green color for Tulane (its the same Pantone value) and the cool grey since it compliments it quite nicely. I was originally going to go with a navy color, but the green stands out more. The grey in the copy (words) looks darker on the screen, but prints out to the same color as the bar on the left. The blank space between my name and email is for my address and phone number (I can trust some of you but not all of you).

I chose to put the headers above the dividing lines as it reminded me of a leader that calls out materials in a construction document.

I would like to get feedback on both the design and the content, so I can work this into something that gets me hired without having to do "extracurricular" activities......

:)

Yeah Bart led me to the extremely awesome Gotham Rounded Book font.

As far as the grey, when I printed it earlier it didn't look too terribly bad. I think I will go ahead and darken it up some more.

On the callouts I like that they resemble leaders but would you perhaps have any ideas to make them look better?

Looks great. Dont be afraid of explaining specific projects and what exactly you did in detail...thats how they like it these days. Also, more than one page is okay again....thats the word on the streets.

Found something....dont say passionatte and driven, they know that. It needs a better intro, maybe even a cover letter. If you do that you should talk about why you like that company and use specific examples.

Ive applied for waaaay to many jobs in my time.

i agree with cyandlux - have a cover letter specific to each place you apply - i've heard that prospective employers aren't too hot on the whole "objective" idea. Definitely go into more details, and again using two pages is okay. I might get rid of the secondary grey line and have the callouts be green coming off of the main green line.

OD_Signature.jpg

Thanks guys. I was reading around and saw a couple things about combining the objective with a summary of your skills and what not, so I will do that.

Have you guys heard anything about including jobs that have nothing to do with the industry you are going into? I read something about putting just the title, company and location (which is what I did).

I do want to try to keep it at just one page, so if there are any HR people on the board, I would love to hear from you as well.

Another thing to keep in mind as well, since it is for architecture work; most likely an electronic copy of my portfolio will accompany the resumé.

Keep it coming guys. Thanks!

I say do NOT include non-architecture projects on this résumé. People hiring you for your skills as an architect won't care about your other skills or projects until they hire you - initially they want to know only about what you've done as an architect. my $0.02

OD_Signature.jpg

Alright, didn't tweak any of the copy yet (I am having a couple people off board look through that a bit) but I did tweak the design using suggestions from here.

I darkened the grey and took the leaders off of the first line.

resumev2.png

I kinda like it, but I still think it may have a bit to go.

What do you guys think?

Alright here is another revision to the design. I tried just stopping it against the solid green but did not like that at all, so here it is "busting" through the green and into the copy. I stepped them down from bottom to top to play on the whole theme of stepping back a building as it goes higher.

resumev3.png

This one I do happen to like a bit, but I will definitely take any and all feedback I receive on it into consideration.

Thanks guys.

getting even closer, josh - now the leaders seems a bit dominating - so I'd lighten up the line weight. It's just a visual queue, it doesn't need to be really heavy, just something to take the eye from the category on the left to the text on the right. Maybe go with a 1pt line wt or even .5pt. Also, I like how you made those break the big green line - do the same with the grey. Have you consider a personal mark that you could use as a watermark in the background? That could be a nice subtle addition. Keep at it, you're almost there.

OD_Signature.jpg

whoa, whoa, whoa. i understand what you're trying to do here, but this is a resume. a resume is about the content and the content ONLY. it really shouldn't have such a strong graphic element. don't place anything in the document that reflects your personal tastes, like color, connotation or semantically-driven imagery or graphics. if the man or woman reading it (and you have no idea who that may be) has a hard time reading gray text, or has an aversion to the color green or just plain doesn't like your graphic element, you've bitten yourself in the ass, and for no good reason. if you use well-organized black type with no graphic elements, other than possibly a fine hairline rule, you leave nothing for a prospective employer to judge except the content. believe me, you can stand out using only text. try using a simple, clean layout, or a two-column set with your contact info in one skinny column on the left and your content in the wide column on the right. what you've got would be great in an architectural presentation or a style guide or a program, but not on a resume.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Andrew I agree with you, but then again I don't

Yes the resumé is about the content, but you also need something to make them notice it when they are leafing through hundreds of other resumés.

Needless to say, I will do an alternate version with your suggestions as well.

Edit: Here is a version with a played down graphic. I think this stands out a bit, but also puts the focus back onto the copy.

resumev4.png

I could even change this to black and still be fine with the design. I will also try the 2 column thing as well, but I am starting to grow to like this one.

Josh, I agree with Brian on this one....looks great, ditch the objective for the cover letter.

I'd say "needs stripes", but that's already covered.

Nice one there Joel.

I'm glad you chimed in, I was literally about 10 minutes away from bugging you on AIM about it. I'm gonna work on changing the objective into a summary that includes my skills (so I can kill two with one stone) and then expand on the details in the awards part and create a cover sheet.

Edit: Speaking of the cover sheet what would be some of the main things to put on one?

On the cover letter, you want to put how excited you are for the opportunity to be considered for an interview, how you think you can help the company, and how you think you'll be a good fit.

I'll look on my computer at home tonight for a copy of the last cover letter I sent out, if you want to look at it.

Josh, I think you need to refocus.

You seem to have put a lot of time and thought into making it visually appealling, but the content is weak and does you a huge disservice.

Ditch the retail jobs and instead focus on building a description for the relevant work experience. Describe 3 or 4 things you accomplished at the design job.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Archived