Could the Atlantic League become a affiliated rookie league?

gueman

When you look at the facilities available and the more urban locals it seems like a logical progression.

Here is my idea...

Atlantic Team.................................Parent

Bridgeport Bluefish.........................Boston Red Sox

Camden Riversharks......................Philadelphia Phillies

Lancaster Barnstormers..................Pittsburgh Pirates

Long Island Ducks..........................New York Mets

Newark Bears................................New York Yankees

Somerset Patriots..........................Cleveland Indians

York Revolution.............................Baltimore Orioles

Southern Maryland Blue Crabs *.....Washington Nationals

Fredericksburg Colonials**.............Atlanta Braves

Dover Galaxy**.............................Cincinnati Reds

The Southern Maryland (Waldorf) team should begin play in 2008. I added expansion teams in Dover De. and Fredericksburg Va.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Well the idea is that this would replace the Appalachian League which most if not all teams play in decrepit facilities and who's fan support is waning. It also puts the teams close to their parent clubs which has been the trend lately in baseball, Yankees, Orioles, and Phillies to name a few. It cuts in travel costs and allows fans to more closely follow the prospects from the low minors to the major leagues. Remember the Aberdeen Ironbirds started as an Atlantic League team before moving to the NY-Penn League. I placed the teams in Fredericksburg and Dover so that the Blue Crabs wouldn't be out on an island, 3 hours from the current closest team in York Pa.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Right. But firstly, you didn't answer my question. Did you hear this somewhere, or is this an idea of yours?

Secondly, as of now, the Atlantic League is looking at the following places for expansion:

Leominster, Massachusetts, possibly 2008

Bergen Cliff Hawks, New Jersey, legal issues prevent the team from materializing

Montgomery County, Maryland, undetermined time line

Northern Virginia, undetermined time line

Uniondale, New York, undetermined time line

Yonkers, New York, undetermined time line

philly.png

Well the idea is that this would replace the Appalachian League which most if not all teams play in decrepit facilities and who's fan support is waning. It also puts the teams close to their parent clubs which has been the trend lately in baseball, Yankees, Orioles, and Phillies to name a few. It cuts in travel costs and allows fans to more closely follow the prospects from the low minors to the major leagues. Remember the Aberdeen Ironbirds started as an Atlantic League team before moving to the NY-Penn League. I placed the teams in Fredericksburg and Dover so that the Blue Crabs wouldn't be out on an island, 3 hours from the current closest team in York Pa.

Only problem is, if you're going to make this replace the Appy League, then why not use the teams already in the Appy League.

By the way, Brain I think this is pure speculation

Remember the Aberdeen Ironbirds started as an Atlantic League team before moving to the NY-Penn League.

No, they didn't.

The Aberdeen Arsenal was an expansion team during the Atlantic League's 2000 season. They played home games at one of two baseball fields at Thomas Run Park, a multi-purpose sports facility in Bel Air, Maryland. The franchise folded after a single year, primarily because they were drawing an average of 552 fans per game.

The Aberdeen IronBirds entered the New York-Penn League in time for the 2002 season. They are the relocated Utica Blue Sox. The team has played it's home games at Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen, Maryland since launching operations. They averaged 6,103 fans per game in their inaugural season.

Right. But firstly, you didn't answer my question. Did you hear this somewhere, or is this an idea of yours?

Secondly, as of now, the Atlantic League is looking at the following places for expansion:

Bergen Cliff Hawks, New Jersey, legal issues prevent the team from materializing

Bring back the Nashua Pride!!

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Bring back the Nashua Pride!!

Can-Am League.

philly.png

This sounds like an "If I Ruled The World" thing.

Personally, I'm happy with an independent team with a hell of a ballpark less than 45 minutes from me, not to mention the Can-Am League team in Atlantic City. Though I'll be happy when they ditch the Road Warriors.

They used to be in the Atlantic League I saw them play the Newark Bears a few years ago.
So they did -- as were the Atlantic City Surf. The Can-Am League seems to be a better fit for those teams.

LvZYtbZ.png

Let us hope. I always thought the Potomac Nationals(PoNats) should move up to Fairfax County.They did a fan survey and most of their fans came from here, so an new team would have a big fanbase.

Archived