World Hockey Association Team Colors

TruColor

Just wanted to make everyone aware that I have put the WHA's team colors up on the SSUR. As is the case with older leagues, a lot of these are just estimates - and their accuracy is often up for debate - but I was able to purchase a number of official WHA logo sheets, and they do include Pantone/PMS colors on them.

I was amazed that teams/leagues actually USED Pantones back in those days.

A couple interesting notes:

• The Indianapolis Racers used 172 C for their Red. Why is that strange? Because it's really an Orange. In fact, that is Detroit Tigers Orange. The Racers also appeared to use a light Blue in their logo, and a darker one in their uniforms.
  • The original Winnipeg Jets logo - although the colors were called "Navy" and "Red" - were in reality Purple (!) and Warm Red. For Warm Red - think Charlotte Bobcats.

Take a look at the color sets, and feel free to ask any questions.

WHA Team Colors

Thanks PANTONE. I too am amazed at the use of pantone values back then.

How do you think the standardization of the colors was comparing then to now? I'd be inclined to think that today's technology would be better able to match the colors of jerseys, helmets, gloves, etc. Any info on the variation in colors back then, especially compared to today's uniforms?

I'm getting the feeling that what teams used for printing didn't necessarily translate into fabric colors. For example, I'm seeing a lot of generic colors in these printed logos - Warm Red, Reflex Blue, Process Blue, etc., and I assume that the uniform manufacturers probably kept a stock of basic colors for matching. So, the Reds and the Blues would be close to the printed colors, but certainly not exact.

I think the matching process is just more sophisticated now...with a lot more differentiation between fabrics and their dye lots.

Just wanted to make everyone aware that I have put the WHA's team colors up on the SSUR. As is the case with older leagues, a lot of these are just estimates - and their accuracy is often up for debate - but I was able to purchase a number of official WHA logo sheets, and they do include Pantone/PMS colors on them.

I was amazed that teams/leagues actually USED Pantones back in those days.

A couple interesting notes:

• The Indianapolis Racers used 172 C for their Red. Why is that strange? Because it's really an Orange. In fact, that is Detroit Tigers Orange. The Racers also appeared to use a light Blue in their logo, and a darker one in their uniforms.
  • The original Winnipeg Jets logo - although the colors were called "Navy" and "Red" - were in reality Purple (!) and Warm Red. For Warm Red - think Charlotte Bobcats.

Take a look at the color sets, and feel free to ask any questions.

WHA Team Colors

THAT'S IT! WITH THIS AND THE RECENT UNIBLOG POST, I'M OFF TO THE JERSEY STORE TO MAKE BOOTLEG INDIANAPOLIS RACERS GRETZKY JERSEYS TO SELL ON EBAY! VICTORY IS MINE!

[*singing to myself*] "We're in the money! We're in the money!..."

(bow)

What was the source of the Civics colour information? I'm assuming there was no official logo sheet as there was no official Civics logo and the team only existed for 15 days, continuing to wear the Spurs colours / uniforms.

Are the colours listed estimated based on this logo or did you have another source?

What was the source of the Civics colour information? I'm assuming there was no official logo sheet as there was no official Civics logo and the team only existed for 15 days, continuing to wear the Spurs colours / uniforms.

Are the colours listed estimated based on this logo or did you have another source?

Yeah, I probably did base the colors off of that logo. If that's an incorrect/unofficial logo, I'll change the colors to "unknown"...

Yeah, I probably did base the colors off of that logo. If that's an incorrect/unofficial logo, I'll change the colors to "unknown"...

If he is correct (and I have a feeling he is) then the colours would be the same as the Spurs

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

There is so little information about the Civics, I was hoping you had found a new source.

Recently, there was a Civics program / line-up card on eBay from one of their (two?) home games:

Ottawa_Civics--06e2_1.jpg

This is the only printed material I've ever seen from the Civics and it does feature red and black although the only logo mentioned in the listing was the league logo on the back (there was no scan of the other side). Excluding metallic silver, it appears the other colours you listed were used in print by the team. However, if you are listing their uniform colours I believe they would still be the Spurs colours.

The story goes that there was some sort of unofficial Civics logo used in print in Ottawa. The logo I linked to on this site is a cleaned up and somewhat modified version of this one from hockeydb which, along with a black and white version, is the first version of the Civics logo I recall seeing. I have no idea what the origin of this version of the logo is - it could be a scan or reproduction of the unofficial logo, but it could also have been created for some unofficial WHA items (pucks, pins, etc.) that were produced after the league folded.

There is so little information about the Civics, I was hoping you had found a new source.

Recently, there was a Civics program / line-up card on eBay from one of their (two?) home games:

Ottawa_Civics--06e2_1.jpg

This is the only printed material I've ever seen from the Civics and it does feature red and black although the only logo mentioned in the listing was the league logo on the back (there was no scan of the other side). Excluding metallic silver, it appears the other colours you listed were used in print by the team. However, if you are listing their uniform colours I believe they would still be the Spurs colours.

The story goes that there was some sort of unofficial Civics logo used in print in Ottawa. The logo I linked to on this site is a cleaned up and somewhat modified version of this one from hockeydb which, along with a black and white version, is the first version of the Civics logo I recall seeing. I have no idea what the origin of this version of the logo is - it could be a scan or reproduction of the unofficial logo, but it could also have been created for some unofficial WHA items (pucks, pins, etc.) that were produced after the league folded.

Great info...thanks.

[*]The original Winnipeg Jets logo - although the colors were called "Navy" and "Red" - were in reality Purple (!) and Warm Red. For Warm Red - think Charlotte Bobcats.

Well, I certainly never saw any purple and orange on the ice as a kid, thankyouverymuch.

Not doubting, not naysaying, just telling :D

Welcome to DrunjFlix

[*]The original Winnipeg Jets logo - although the colors were called "Navy" and "Red" - were in reality Purple (!) and Warm Red. For Warm Red - think Charlotte Bobcats.

Well, I certainly never saw any purple and orange on the ice as a kid, thankyouverymuch.

Not doubting, not naysaying, just telling :D

I know - it seems weird. Colorado Rockies Purple and Charlotte Bobcats Orange. It HAS to be wrong.

I think part of the issue here is with the Pantone colors themselves. I think they've changed over the years - either with the ink formula mixes, or with the CMYK equivalents. Part of my research is in how these colors were reproduced historically, and I intend to ask Pantone, Inc. if they've kept records as to how these colors used to look.

For what it's worth - on the logo sheet I have for the WHA Jets - it doesn't look like Purple and Orange...

I know, D. Fact sheets and Pantones for something that's 30 years old can seem kinda weird.

The colors look to match up to what they did wear, for all intents and purposes. I just take umbrage with the actual descriptions :)

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived