"The Game" Fitted Caps

no97

I'm looking to order a Vanderbilt alt. cap online (yes, I hate to order caps online, but I just can't walk into my local Foot Locker and pick a lot of this stuff off the shelf here in Bemidji, Minnesota, ya know?), so I need help in "The Game" fitted cap sizing...

Here are the details: It's an all-wool cap (only the regular game cap is mesh). My size tends to be 7 5/8 to 7 3/4 (examples New Era mesh college cap 7 5/8, 2006 wool New Era 59fifty 7 3/4, Reebok NFL cap 7 3/4 - a bit roomy, Zephyr the "Z" hat 7 3/4 - also a bit roomy). Both the Reebok and Zephyr caps were roomy and were shrunk with the 59fifty hot water shrinking method, and are now better, although still not as well fitting as my 59fifty. Bottem line - I likely should have ordered each as a 7 5/8...

So, how do "The Game" fitteds run compared to the above mentioned caps? Should I go with a 7 5/8, or a 7 3/4?

Thanks for the help...

Moose

I have a Winthrop "The Game" mesh BP cap, and it's a size 7 and fits me perfectly. Thing is, I normally wear a 7 1/4 or 7 1/8 at the very smallest.

Dunno if that's just an abnormality or whether their sizing really does run that weird.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

How do you do the hot water shrinking method? I have a flex fit hat that needs to shrink.

Keep in mind that this will only work with wool hats...

Anyway, what I do is take a bucket and fill it with hot water (as hot as the tap will allow). Dunk the cap for at least one minute in the bucket, making sure the whole thing's been submerged, and is soaking wet. Next, mash the cap on your head (don't worry, it won't be that hot - actually, it will barely be warm), and start forming it to your head (the crown, bill, etc.). This next part is importaint, and the reason this should be the first thing you do in a day - make sure you keep the cap on until it is completely dry! If you take it off at any point, it will continue to shrink, and take a shape of whatever you set it down on (which is why you want it to take the shape of your head!)... Also, make sure to have towels handy. You will have water running down your face and neck.

As an aside, I've heard of putting your cap on while in the shower, or throwing it in the washing mashine (but taking it out before the spin), but this has worked for me (on my wool caps) for years.

Good luck!

I have a Winthrop "The Game" mesh BP cap, and it's a size 7 and fits me perfectly. Thing is, I normally wear a 7 1/4 or 7 1/8 at the very smallest.

Dunno if that's just an abnormality or whether their sizing really does run that weird.

So, perhaps a 7 5/8 (i.e., go with the smaller size), and my shrink method from above if it's still to big?

Moose

When it comes to fitted hats, I usually run between a 7 1/2 and 7 5/8. I have a USF Bulls mesh The Game cap and it is a 7 1/2 and fits great. If I remember correctly, I had tried on the 7 5/8 version and it felt loose.

Hope this info can help you out.

Thanks no97! I will try it this weekend. I will check the hat when I get home, but I am sure it is a wool hat.

No problem. Good luck. As I said, I've never had a problem as long as I let the cap completely dry on my head...

On the origional subject, I went ahead and ordered the 7 5/8 based on the49erfan15 and AstroBull21's advice. Because of the excitement of Vandy being #1 and the SEC tourney starting tomorrow, they are on back-order, but I'm told it should ship next week. I'll let you know when I get it how the fit is...

Thanks for the quick advice.

Moose

• 3 weeks later...

I got the cap last Friday. I'm happy with the fit, but was a bit mis-lead by the bookstore.

Unfortunatly, they don't sell the style I had wanted anymore (Vandy alt. cap). I tried to describe this cap when I was ordering mine, and I thought I was clear that I didn't want the regular on-field cap, but the older-style "V" on the alt. Long story short, I ended up with the regular on-field cap (which is not bad looking, but I realy liked the look of the alt. - FYI, neither cap was shown as available online when I placed my order).

Second issue I had, was the lady I ordered from telling me that the cap was "100% wool." Ends up it's 30% wool, and 70% acrylic. That's fine, but since the cap ended up as stiff as a board, I wanted to break it in with my soaking method. Well, acrylic doesn't streatch much, and afterwards, it's still not broken in very well. I guess I'll just have to wear it and break it in the old fashion way.

All in all, it's a nice cap, and I can't complain too much. Too bad Vandy ploped the bed in the Regionals...

Moose

How do you do the hot water shrinking method? I have a flex fit hat that needs to shrink.

Anyway, what I do is take a bucket and fill it with hot water (as hot as the tap will allow). Dunk the cap for at least one minute in the bucket, making sure the whole thing's been submerged, and is soaking wet. Next, mash the cap on your head (don't worry, it won't be that hot - actually, it will barely be warm), and start forming it to your head (the crown, bill, etc.). This next part is importaint, and the reason this should be the first thing you do in a day - make sure you keep the cap on until it is completely dry! If you take it off at any point, it will continue to shrink, and take a shape of whatever you set it down on (which is why you want it to take the shape of your head!)... Also, make sure to have towels handy. You will have water running down your face and neck.

As an aside, I've heard of putting your cap on while in the shower, or throwing it in the washing mashine (but taking it out before the spin), but this has worked for me (on my wool caps) for years.

Good luck!

Wow... thanks for the advice... I'll try it next November or December (summertime in where I live: Argentina).

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Good luck!

Wow... thanks for the advice... I'll try it next November or December (summertime in where I live: Argentina).

Good luck. As I noted, I did the exact same thing with the Vandy cap (30% wool/70% acrylic), and it didn't shrink at all. Now, keep in mind I didn't want it to shrink (I was trying to break it in because it was stiff), but I suppose this proves my point (about it only working on all-wool caps). I have not tried this method with the new 59fiftys (100% poly - I don't have one yet), but would expect simelar results to my Vandy 30/70 cap...

Moose

• 2 years later...
Thanks for taking the time to help, I really apprciate it.

Can I buy these in the UK?

Wow, blast from the past - two years ago...

Buy what, Vandy fitted "The Game" caps? Yeah, I'd assume so. They are available through the Vanderbilt bookstore. I'm sure if you call them (615) 322-2994 they would have international shipping info for you...

Moose

Archived