Our long, National League nightmare is over!

Mac the Knife

Doesn't matter. He may have been a horrible day to day CEO, but he wanted to win. The Nuttings make all of the final decisions, and they don't want to spend the money. Losing continues in Pittsburgh. (As far as baseball is concerned.)

Doesn't matter. He may have been a horrible day to day CEO, but he wanted to win. The Nuttings make all of the final decisions, and they don't want to spend the money. Losing continues in Pittsburgh. (As far as baseball is concerned.)

And will continue so long as the Nuttings keep their fists clinched. Hell--at some point even the dude who owns the L.A. Clippers had to spend some money. For that matter, so did Bill Bidwill (Edge, anyone?). So, at some point, these folks need to open them hands up and get some PLAYERS in here (and Adam LaRoche ain't it, sorry to say). The sad part is there's a lot of good YOUNG talent on the team, but we also saw what happened to Carlos Beltran, didn't we? (Came up in K.C., where he and Jermaine Dye were teammates for a while), then, after spending half a season in Houston, found himself in Queens, where (I believe) he continues to do well.

What's to keep that from happening to Jason Bay, Freddy Sanchez, or any of this "gold mine of pitching talent" the team CLAIMS they have?

Wonder, wonder, wonder...

Such a nice park. Put a competitive team in there, and watch it flourish, maybe even bubble over.

But I'll digress.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It does matter. McClatchy up until a year or so ago was the majority owner as well. If anything I think Nutting's trying to right the ship. But until then, the Curse of Syd Thrift lives on.

nav-logo.png

Its simple.

If there still is Mr. Littlefield, there still is no chance.

GMs and Managers make roster movements. Not owners.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

Its simple.

Owners give the GMs the budget to work with. Owners have to approve if the GM makes a deal where the team assumes some of a player's salary. Owners evaluate GMs and hire / fire them.

It all starts at the top. Take it from a fan of a team that also has horrific ownership problems.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't believe he was ever the majority owner, its always been the Nuttings. McClatchy was the face of the team and was president until he turned that over to Bob Nutting before the start of this season. The Nuttings have always had the cash and never let Kevin play with it.

You can't polish a turd. It's still a turd. I read somewhere that the Buccos were like the 3rd highest profit or something along those lines. As long as people are showing up and spending money, the owners could care less. They will collect their earnings. Baseball in Pittsburgh is meaningless. You go to the park for the environment and not the team. You go to have something to do, maybe watch some fireworks, or get the 50th bobblehead of the season for your brother-in-law's collection. Sad.

KISSwall09.jpg

I read somewhere that the Buccos were like the 3rd highest profit or something along those lines.

I'd love to see that documented somewhere.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Its simple.

Owners give the GMs the budget to work with. Owners have to approve if the GM makes a deal where the team assumes some of a player's salary. Owners evaluate GMs and hire / fire them.

It all starts at the top. Take it from a fan of a team that also has horrific ownership problems.

True. But we need to get rid of the ones who come up with those ideas in the first place.

I aint partying until Littlefield is gone and we get wthin less than 20 games under .500 AT the end of the season... until then, I might as well just be glad I root for a team that will prove im not a bandwagoner whenever any abnoxious out-of-town-other-team fans at pens games accuse me of being one.

Also, If owners give GMs the money... then I guess getting rid of McClatchy will be good for something considering all the money McClatchy liked to use for Bobbleheads, Give-Aways, Fireworks, Live Performances, Fireworks AND Live Performaces...

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

It does all start at the top. Ask an Arizona Cardinals fan.

McClatchy headed the initial ownership group that bought the team before the turn of the century, but Nutting gradually increased his stake over time to become majority owner. But either way everyone in this thread has been right: it does start at the top, and Littlefield needs to be shown the door.

I heard the Pirates slogan this year was "We Will..." I've been having fun with that ever since:

"We Will lose 90-plus games again.

"We Will be the laughingstock of the National League.

"We Will make our fans wish it were November already.

"We Will inadvertently keep people away in droves.

"We Will look idiotic in those red vest uniforms...

I could go on and on.

nav-logo.png

I read somewhere that the Buccos were like the 3rd highest profit or something along those lines.

"Robert Nutting, now the Pirates' majority owner, seems perfectly content raking in the revenue-sharing money baseball distributes to the lowest-revenue teams. The Pirates profited more than $25.3 million last year, according to Forbes, the third-highest number behind Florida ($43.3 million) and the Los Angeles Dodgers ($27.5 million). And while Major League Baseball always contests Forbes' numbers, they are more accurate than what baseball would like the public to believe. "

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_exper...t?urn=mlb,37932

Like I said, I remember reading "something" along those lines. I believe it's in revenue sharing or something like that. Take it for what it's worth. I'm sure someone can explain it better.

KISSwall09.jpg

"Robert Nutting, now the Pirates' majority owner, seems perfectly content raking in the revenue-sharing money baseball distributes to the lowest-revenue teams. The Pirates profited more than $25.3 million last year, according to Forbes, the third-highest number behind Florida ($43.3 million) and the Los Angeles Dodgers ($27.5 million). And while Major League Baseball always contests Forbes' numbers, they are more accurate than what baseball would like the public to believe. "

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_exper...t?urn=mlb,37932

Like I said, I remember reading "something" along those lines. I believe it's in revenue sharing or something like that. Take it for what it's worth. I'm sure someone can explain it better.

That's interesting. I guess their profit is comprised mainly of money they receive from revenue sharing, because based on market size and attendance, they can't possibly be raking in the bucs (pun sort-of intended.) I never really understood how revenue sharing works - I guess if you make the most revenue, but somehow lose money, you still owe to the small-market teams? I always thought it was based on net revenue, not gross. Maybe not. I'm very sick and my head hurts from a sinus infection. I guess you really didn't need to know that.

It does all start at the top. Ask an Arizona Cardinals fan.

McClatchy headed the initial ownership group that bought the team before the turn of the century, but Nutting gradually increased his stake over time to become majority owner. But either way everyone in this thread has been right: it does start at the top, and Littlefield needs to be shown the door.

I heard the Pirates slogan this year was "We Will..." I've been having fun with that ever since:

"We Will lose 90-plus games again.

"We Will be the laughingstock of the National League.

"We Will make our fans wish it were November already.

"We Will inadvertently keep people away in droves.

"We Will look idiotic in those red vest uniforms...

I could go on and on.

Funny thing is that was also their slogan last year, too.

You missed the one some of us came up with earlier this year:

"We Will"be out of the playoff chase by the time we step off the plane for spring training down in Florida.

I think we could both go on and on...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived