The D's for 'never dirty', MC's for 'mostly clean'

Shumway

A little background, I suppose...I'm in the running to fill an open spot in one of ourfantasy hockey leagues here...I think the IHL?, but I figured I'd go ahead and do the logo and such for my team, regardless of if I got one of the spots or not. Yesterday, I got kinda bored after work, so I got to workin'. Without further adieu, here goes:

DMC-1.png

The logo: The image is from the Run-DMC greatest hits tht came out a few years back. I didn't really go through my normal procedure making a logo this time - I just took tracing paper and traced the image, rather than drawing something completely fresh, but I kinda like how it turned out. I tried to mimic the traditional DMC logo with the red bars. I wasn't sure of the font they use, and I know what I used (Futura) isn't exact, but whatever. I toyed with the placement of "Hollis" for a while, and I'm still not certain I didn't like it more above the red bars.

For reference:

51DX9V5F35L._AA240_.jpgRun_DMC_White-T-link.jpg

The uniforms: I went simple with the uniforms and made some obvious, I suppose, choices. Yes, that's a lace-up collar...with no laces, of course. Three stripes for adidas, and I even put the old trefoil in place of the RBK, just for kicks. Throw some c&c out there.

Great work. I just love those three stripes, very fitting since Run-DMC sported those sneakers through the years. As to where to put "Hollis", why not put it where the three band members' shirts "meet"? I think that would look great...(you probably already tried that)

Could you do a Beastie Boys version of this? As a big fan of them I'd love to see where you could go with that -if and when you ever got bored again ;)

celticssig5.jpg

Purdy please, vote for me: http://nha.sportslogos.net/name_change/ Thanks in advance.

I like it... a lot. If nothing else, because of the play on Hollis, Queens into Hollis Kings. Props for the adidas stripes and the lace-up collar without the laces... would've never thought of that.

This concept reminds me a lot of my fantasy basketball concept for the Q-Unit a couple years back... Q-Unit primary

I have to say, I like your execution much better than my own. Great job.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

You sir, are a god. That logo is sweet. Can't really say much else here other than near perfection. Your sleeve numbers are upside down, Shum, but that can easily be fixed. Flawless set, love the names even though they are radially arched. Maybe try vertically arched names? Either way this set rules. Also, Run DMC rules.

Not sure how I missed the backwards numbers. Thanks for pointing that out. That's what happens when you drink and umm....illustrate?

I thought about making a series, but I'm not sure at this point. A Beastie Boys set is possible, but probably not anytime soon.

Awesome work, from concept through to execution. This could so easily have gone so wrong; you really had to be nearly perfect with the treatment and you nailed it. Nicely done.

Suggestions: The "Hollis" type needs to be about 20 percent bigger, with about 50 percent more space between the letters. But do keep "Hollis" inside the red stripe. I'd also like to see balancing text in the bottom red stripe. "Est. 2007" or "Tougher than Ice" or "It's Like That" or something. Anything, really, just to put some white text in the bottom red line. It'd busy it up a bit, but I think in this case that's a price worth paying to have vertical balance.

Also, I think a band of gold piping around the collar would be a nice touch. Not like a bit circle over the shoulders, but just a single bit of piping immediately outside the black part of the collar.

I'd also like to point out that you have mad skills with digitizing human forms. The crest and your sig are really outstanding on that front. If you'd deign to give any pointers on your technique somewhere, I'd listen!

20082614447.png

Awesome work, from concept through to execution. This could so easily have gone so wrong; you really had to be nearly perfect with the treatment and you nailed it. Nicely done.

Suggestions: The "Hollis" type needs to be about 20 percent bigger, with about 50 percent more space between the letters. But do keep "Hollis" inside the red stripe. I'd also like to see balancing text in the bottom red stripe. "Est. 2007" or "Tougher than Ice" or "It's Like That" or something. Anything, really, just to put some white text in the bottom red line. It'd busy it up a bit, but I think in this case that's a price worth paying to have vertical balance.

Also, I think a band of gold piping around the collar would be a nice touch. Not like a bit circle over the shoulders, but just a single bit of piping immediately outside the black part of the collar.

I'd also like to point out that you have mad skills with digitizing human forms. The crest and your sig are really outstanding on that front. If you'd deign to give any pointers on your technique somewhere, I'd listen!

Thanks for the input, Wonk. I actually had 'Hollis" bigger, but I thought it stood out just too much/distracting with it being reversed out and such. I'll toy with the gold around the collar, although I really wated to keep it mostly black and white, with a bit of red here and there. I'll see how it turns out though, since I have to fix the numbers anyways. For the bottom, I actually was gonna put the adidas trefoil in there, but I figured 'what team's gonna have a corporate sponsor in the logo?' Maybe I'll play around with putting something else in there.

As for any tips for illustrating a human, first, thanks for the praise. It's really not all that hard, to be honest...it's just tracing afterall. The key is to not worry so much about detail and simplify the hell out of forms and shadows. Allow the viewer's eye to complete the shapes, kinda like how you know where the rest of JMJ's arm is, although I didn't specify....I could probably even take out the highlights on the shirts/jackets, but I'm not bothered by "the way it is" HA! (Run-DMC reference, for those who don't know) Simplicity's really the key. I generally take tracing paper to a picture, since the very slight opacity helps simplify shadows into simpler shapes. Plus, when you take it into illustrato tracing your own contour drawing, as opposed to a picture, it so much easier.

Small update, but an update nonetheless. I made "Hollis" a bit bigger, added some text to the bottom bar, and did some slight work to the uniforms, most notably fixing the numbers and addind pant stripes. I tried putting gold in the collar, but it just looked ridiculous, so I scrapped it. Not a bad idea, but I didn't feel like retooling the whole uniforms to make the gold work. I like them as I have them, basically very simple.

DMC2-1.png

Archived