Yet another US Soccer Federation concept...

gordie_delini

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still playing with this, here's another version: Slightly more compact shield shape, more stripes (9 instead of 3), bigger ball, smaller wings.

Picture11.png

You're almost there, but I prefer the three stripes.

The crest is pretty busy as it is, but it works - adding these extra stripes tip the balance over to "too busy." Plus, it'll read better at a distance.

Keep it up. I'm really liking what you're doing here. There's something WWII Army Air Force leather jacket-ish about the ball with wings.

I'm late to the party but I'd like to weigh in. I think it looks sharp overall but I don't like the wings. I get that it is supposed to reference our national bird, my eye doesn't see it that way. It reminds me of Goodyear tire or Nike's shoes (as Cyandlux mentioned earlier). If you want an eagle reference I think you need to make it more explicit. There are three ideas that popped in my head to do this:

1. A flying eagle with a soccer ball gripped in its talons. A profile view would probably work best.
  2. An eagle perched atop a soccer ball. The vision I have seems very German so that's probably not a great idea.
  3. An eagle head with a soccer ball as its eye. The eagle now becomes the centerpiece of the crest. This last idea may be a little to "artsy," but it's something that might work

The number of stripes is a toss up for me. I do know that it needs to be an odd number for aesthetic reasons. Three doesn't work because it would look like a tricolour flag. Five is better but still seems too few. Seven is workable I think. Nine is treading into too many but still possible. Eleven and thirteen would be fine choices though. Although they may be too many from a design standpoint, those numbers would at least have some meaning. Thirteen has special significance to the history of the United States. Eleven would serve a similar function representing the 11 players on the pitch. In my opinion those two numbers would be best simply because of the sympolism those numbers would bring.

You may be past the point where my thoughts mean anything, but I wanted to share them anyway. Great work.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I agree about the eagle needing to be more explicit.... I'd just as soon get rid of the ball altogether in favor of an eagle. England and Brazil don't have balls in their crests and those are two of the most iconic crests in soccer/football/futbol/etc.

Archived