POST 300 - CITY-NAMED COLLEGE TEAMS

B-Rich

Winnipeg Wesmen

Montreal Carabins

Victoria Vikes

Calgary Dinosaurs

Just a few more from Canada to go along with the Varsity Blues...sure I'm missing some...

To add to your list of Canadian schools:

Guelph Gryphons

Sherbrooke Vert et Or

Ottawa Gee-Gees

Brandon Bobcats

Lethbridge Pronghorns

Moncton Aigles Bleus

Waterloo Warriors

Windsor Lancers

1zqy8ok.gif

22. Baltimore Retrievers (UMBC)

I don't know if this will change your thinking or not, but there is actually a Univ. of Baltimore. However, the school dropped intercollegiate athletics in the early 80s because it had becoame an "upper division" college a few years earlier (i.e., juniors, seniors and grad students only), which may disqualify it from consideration.

Well UMBC has worn Baltimore on their sports jerseys before. But I've always heard them refered to as the UMBC Retrievers never the Baltimore Retrievers. Here's a picture of the old baseball jerseys with Baltimore (they also wore it on the basketball jerseys for a little while):

Berman.jpg

22. Baltimore Retrievers (UMBC)

I don't know if this will change your thinking or not, but there is actually a Univ. of Baltimore. However, the school dropped intercollegiate athletics in the early 80s because it had becoame an "upper division" college a few years earlier (i.e., juniors, seniors and grad students only), which may disqualify it from consideration.

Well UMBC has worn Baltimore on their sports jerseys before. But I've always heard them refered to as the UMBC Retrievers never the Baltimore Retrievers. Here's a picture of the old baseball jerseys with Baltimore (they also wore it on the basketball jerseys for a little while):

I'm not sure if state and local politics would ever allow it, but I've always thought that UMBC should be merged (for naming purposes anyway) with the Univ. of Maryland at Baltimore (UMAB), which only includes professional/graduate programs anyway. Even though the two campuses are about 5 miles apart (just a guesstimate), it isn't unusual for a school to have separate campuses (see Boston College).

If that change ever took place, the "new" school would have a much better claim to the "Baltimore" name (unless the Univ. of Baltimore reinstates intercollegiate athletics). As it is now, I think it is bit of a stretch for UMBC to just use Baltimore on any uniforms, though I completely understand why they have done it.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived