J-E-T-S, TITANS! TITANS! TITANS!

reppact

I don't know if this is historically accurate or not, but the 2s on the front number and the sleeve/TV number don't match (see the serif on the top left of the front number). Anyone know if that is correct or an oversight by the Jets?

69b5084f-8218-4ebe-91a7-b27789ad4afc.jpg

Well heres a better view to prove you right:

Jones-10.jpg

That is an oversight by REEBOK. The font used by the NY Titans was MacGregor's normal full-block with the extra serifs. The MacG 4" sleeve numbers also featured the extra serifs, so Reebok screwed up.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is an oversight by REEBOK. The font used by the NY Titans was MacGregor's normal full-block with the extra serifs. The MacG 4" sleeve numbers also featured the extra serifs, so Reebok screwed up.

Thanks for the response. I didn't have time to search too hard for a picture of the sleeve numbers on the originals, so I was hoping someone would have the answer at hand.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'm not doubting you, but can you document this? The Titans wore many different uniform variations in their short history.

Did some quick digging, but this photo is inconclusive:

L13385.jpg

I was kinda hoping that they would wear that one - it's a little plainer than the UCLA-striped jersey, but dig those crazy "T" socks!

I was really excited about seeing the Jets wearing the throwbacks due to the color combo and everything...but I have to tell you, I was really disappointed. They didn't look as good as I thought. The yellow (or gold :rolleyes: ) was an awful greenish shade. Horrible.

I'm not doubting you, but can you document this? The Titans wore many different uniform variations in their short history.

Did some quick digging, but this photo is inconclusive:

L13385.jpg

I was kinda hoping that they would wear that one - it's a little plainer than the UCLA-striped jersey, but dig those crazy "T" socks!

MacGregor stopped making clothing late in 1969. I used to have catalogs but after almost 40 years they have long since been tossed out. Who knew? One thing I know for sure, the Dallas Cowboys' White jerseys were made by Southland Athletic of Terrell, Texas, a Dallas suburb. Southland still uses the same type of front and back numbers that MacG used on the NY Titans. But Southland's 4" TV numbers don't have the serifs. You might want to look at photos of the 1960 Philadelphia Eagles. Those jerseys were made by MacGregor and I seem to recall that they had the extra serifs on the TV numbers.

Again, I'm not doubting you, but given the number of variations they've worn I'd be a little more comfortable with reference and not memories.

I know that some of their uniforms had super-serifed TV numbers (particularly in their first-season), but that doesn't mean all did.

Again, I'm not doubting you, but given the number of variations they've worn I'd be a little more comfortable with reference and not memories.

I know that some of their uniforms had super-serifed TV numbers (particularly in their first-season), but that doesn't mean all did.

Gothamite- Check out photos of the Baltimore Colts from '58 until the mid-'60s. They used the MacGregor jerseys and their TV (sleeve) numbers had the extra serifs. Those are the same numbers the NY Titans used. MacGregor stopped making uniforms in the late 1960s. he Colts then went to SandKnit of Berlin (pronounced Berl-in) Wisconsin. I just checked out a picture of Raymond Berry in his #82 Colts jersey. The extra serifs are plainly visible on his sleeves.

Archived