Frisbee Concept

bcdevil

Hi,

My brother plays on the BC men's Ultimate team. The team used to be green/yellow and call themselves the "spoonheads". They decided that is was time to change their name and colors to match the school. They are now the eagles and maroon/gold. He asked me to take a shot at a design for a new disk that reflected the changes but still included the old wordmark. This is my first draft and C&C would be appreciated. Thanks.

Design Elements:

BC Alternate Eagle Logo

Frisbee with "spoonheads" wordmark

Gasson tower silhouette (the signature building on campus

The text on the outer edge is simply a recolored version of what they had previously

bcultimatedraftll2.jpg

BCBannersSig.png

You're probably going for symmetry, but the frisbee honestly reads "Speanneads." The two O's and the EA in 'heads'...and the N and H are far too similar.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

patsox, I agree the frisbee has been the hardest part to get right. I am working on adding white lines to give the effect of ridges.

dorf, I also agree with you on the spoonheads issue. But that's the wordmark that they want to go with. If you flip it upside down, it reads the same (drawing a blank on the word for that so shout it out if you know it. I know it's a "-gram").

D_P, I am drawing up a version with a slightly smaller eagle and a larger version of the tower based on some other feedback. I will post that when I'm done and you can let me know if you still think the same. Finding the right balance has been an issue so I can definitely see what you're saying.

Thanks all 3 of you for your feedback

BCBannersSig.png

I think the ambigram could be better actually, but that's not what I want to comment on. If the team changed their name to "Eagles," why is there the "Spoonheads" wordmark? Is the team still going to refer to themselves as the "Spoonheads?"

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I think the ambigram could be better actually, but that's not what I want to comment on. If the team changed their name to "Eagles," why is there the "Spoonheads" wordmark? Is the team still going to refer to themselves as the "Spoonheads?"

Yeah, they are going to use both I guess. The reasoning is that the team has a long history as the spoonheads and they don't want to abandon it. That nickname comes from a time when they were completely independent and didn't receive school funding, which isn't the case anymore. Personally, I think that they should just go exclusively to Eagles but it's their decision to make.

BCBannersSig.png

I'm on the mens' ultimate team at Ohio University and I've done a lot of discs in my time. The way a disc is printed, foil ink is heat-stamped onto the plastic. You can't have large, solid blocks of color in your design. The foil stamp won't adhere to the plastic correctly, and your graphics will peel up off the surface of the disc. The thickest an area of solid color can be is about 5/8" or maybe the width of a nickel. To combat this, you have to work in outlines an use concentric lines to 'fill in' areas with color. Speaking of color, you want to use as few of them as possible because they cost money. I know ultimate teams are always tight on cash and nobody wants to pay $15 for a disc that could have cost $7 if it were done in one color. Lastly, your design has to be contained within the circular Discraft stripe that sits just inside the series of ridges on the shoulder of the disc.

There is another way that discs have recently been printed, and it allows for full color graphics and graphics that can be printed all over the disc. Basically the design is printed onto a separate sheet of material and then shrink-wrapped over the surface of the disc. It's ugly, not very durable, and really tacky-looking, so I would definitely advise against it. It's not a good print. Stick with one- or two-color, outlines and line shading only. I'd be glad to help you if you'd like.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'm on the mens' ultimate team at Ohio University and I've done a lot of discs in my time. The way a disc is printed, foil ink is heat-stamped onto the plastic. You can't have large, solid blocks of color in your design. The foil stamp won't adhere to the plastic correctly, and your graphics will peel up off the surface of the disc. The thickest an area of solid color can be is about 5/8" or maybe the width of a nickel. To combat this, you have to work in outlines an use concentric lines to 'fill in' areas with color. Speaking of color, you want to use as few of them as possible because they cost money. I know ultimate teams are always tight on cash and nobody wants to pay $15 for a disc that could have cost $7 if it were done in one color. Lastly, your design has to be contained within the circular Discraft stripe that sits just inside the series of ridges on the shoulder of the disc.

There is another way that discs have recently been printed, and it allows for full color graphics and graphics that can be printed all over the disc. Basically the design is printed onto a separate sheet of material and then shrink-wrapped over the surface of the disc. It's ugly, not very durable, and really tacky-looking, so I would definitely advise against it. It's not a good print. Stick with one- or two-color, outlines and line shading only. I'd be glad to help you if you'd like.

Interesting, I will run it by my brother and see how he wants to change it. Thanks for the info. I will definitely get back to you.

BCBannersSig.png

Archived