Extracting Graphics from a .PDF File

Mac the Knife

This doesn't directly pertain to sports logos in that in this instance I'm not looking to do this with a document that contains sports logos, but I really didn't know where else to post this:

A long time ago someone explained to me a step-by-step procedure for 'unlocking' and saving graphics from a .PDF, but after doing it once I completely forgot the process.

Could someone here who's done it please post some simple, step-by-step instructions for how someone can unlock/save graphic files imbedded in a .PDF (presuming it can still be done with newer versions of the software)? I swear I'll write 'em down this time!

nav-logo.png

To be honest, I'm pretty sure all you have to do is save the pdf file and then open it up with illustrator and you have access to the files that way. I've never really done it though so I'm not sure, just a suggestion.

That's all it is as far as I know. As long as it's a .pdf file, they should open up as vector images. Unless, of course, you save a simple .jpeg in .pdf format, then it wouldn't be any different than opening a .jpeg in Illustrator.

As long as it's a .pdf file, they should open up as vector images. Unless, of course, you save a simple .jpeg in .pdf format, then it wouldn't be any different than opening a .jpeg in Illustrator.

Not true. If original graphic was a jpg, then it will still be a jpg. Saving the file as a PDF doesn't make all the elements vectors.

It all depends on what program created the PDF, and the original format of the files placed in the PDF application.

Opening a PDF file in Illustrator only gives you access to the contents of the file, it doesn't change their format.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

As long as it's a .pdf file, they should open up as vector images. Unless, of course, you save a simple .jpeg in .pdf format, then it wouldn't be any different than opening a .jpeg in Illustrator.

Not true. If original graphic was a jpg, then it will still be a jpg. Saving the file as a PDF doesn't make all the elements vectors.

It all depends on what program created the PDF, and the original format of the files placed in the PDF application.

Opening a PDF file in Illustrator only gives you access to the contents of the file, it doesn't change their format.

That's true. I've done this with AutoCAD drawings as well where you can use illustrator to extract .pdf files that were made as .pdf through AutoCAD. The process won't work if the .pdf was a scanned document.

I saw, I came, I left.

I knew it was something simple; just completely forgot what got it done. Thanks, guys!

Most PDF's will open in Photoshop or Illustrator, and all should open in Acrobat. If it is a multi-page document, you will be prompted to select a page to open. Some things to remember include:

--- Some PDF's are secure, or password protected.

--- Files created in an application version much older or newer than the one you are using may open improperly or not at all.

--- As noted above, opening bitmapped images in Illustrator does not vectorize them.

--- If type/text in the PDF was not converted to curves/outlines during creation of the document, the typography will only display correctly in Illustrator if your system has the needed fonts installed, otherwise substituted fonts will be used, with uncertain results. I don't think this is a problem in Photoshop as the entire vecotrized image is converted to bitmap when opened.

--- Some vector images may have been grouped or manipulated with the pathfinder tools in such a way that makes them difficult or nearly impossible to edit in Illustrator (sort of like trying to unscramble an egg).

--- Some vector images may open in Illustrator and appear corrupted, but sometimes there are simply glitches in object layering or grouping. Viewing the file in outline/wireframe may provide clues to help you restore the image to its intended appearance.

--- Document-specific settings like color pallettes, rulers, artboards, dimensioning, etc. can cause different PDF's to open in Illustrator and display very different appearances. Once the document is open you can simply edit these settings to make things appear the way you want them to.

--- If you are after only smaller-sized bitmapped images in the PDF, doing a screencap from Acrobat Reader is an easy way to get the data you're after.

Hope this is helpful, MW.

2067982549_0d428a2ca6_o.jpg

I'm encountering a small problem with version compatibility between software packages, but otherwise am fine... I wasn't worried too much with respect to the vector/raster thing so much; I'd just forgotten how to do it period.

I hate it when I forget how to do something I haven't done in a while... seems to happen more often the older I get.

nav-logo.png

That's kind of what I meant with the un-bolded part of my statement you quoted.

Ah. Misinterpretation.

I understood what you had said as just saving a jpg as a pdf, not placing a jpg in the application that created the PDF (Quark, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc.)

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Ah. Misinterpretation.

I understood what you had said as just saving a jpg as a pdf, not placing a jpg in the application that created the PDF (Quark, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc.)

Wisdom is often misinterpreted...

... as is my mumbled up, unclear, mish-mash of compiled garbage.

:D

Archived