Los Suns vs. Los Spurs

jhans203

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't find any posts on this, so I figured better late than never:

The Lakers were another team (besides the Suns and Spurs) to wear Spanish language jerseys, on Sunday.

1e305529-f6ed-4921-81ff-82f8acfe5bad.jpg

And once again, the accuracy in the translation is questionable at best.

I have a question...altho I am not quite sure how to phrase it. But, here we go...

Does the Spanish speaking community like the idea of the "Los Spurs" or "Los Mets"? Is this a marketing gimmick or is it embraced by those fans? Many of these jerseys just seem to have the "los" slapped on, making it a lil unseemly. It would seem to be more accepted with "Gigantes" or "Cerveceros"; but, then, as it was pointed out, the teams are referred to as "Los Mets" etc...

Anyways (as usual) I was just curious...

hjwii

Aren't team nickname's proper names? So the translations of "Los Lakers", "Los Spurs", and "Los Suns" makes complete, 100% sense...

They are proper names, but not in the traditional sense, like Chicago or Chevrolet or Smith's Dairy. Team names are plain, translatable nouns in most cases that have necome propernouns because of their attachment to the team. If you ever watch a foreign broadcast (at least in Spanish) you'll find that most announcers and fans translate the names when talking about the teams. I recently watched an old news highlight of the 1995 World Series and it was littered with 'Los Indios' and 'Los Bravos'. The merch isn't always translated, but the names are usually translated just like any other word in conversation.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Aren't team nickname's proper names? So the translations of "Los Lakers", "Los Spurs", and "Los Suns" makes complete, 100% sense...

They are proper names, but not in the traditional sense, like Chicago or Chevrolet or Smith's Dairy. Team names are plain, translatable nouns in most cases that have necome propernouns because of their attachment to the team. If you ever watch a foreign broadcast (at least in Spanish) you'll find that most announcers and fans translate the names when talking about the teams. I recently watched an old news highlight of the 1995 World Series and it was littered with 'Los Indios' and 'Los Bravos'. The merch isn't always translated, but the names are usually translated just like any other word in conversation.

I agree, but it might also depend on the nation/language into which it is translated, or possibly the team itself. I've heard a Japanese broadcast where Yankees and Red Sox were translated as-is.

I agree, but it might also depend on the nation/language into which it is translated, or possibly the team itself. I've heard a Japanese broadcast where Yankees and Red Sox were translated as-is.

In Japan, even with their own teams all the team names are English-based. However, the one caveat to that is the Giants are more commonly referred to as "kyojin" (巨人), even though the official name is Yomiuri Giants (読売ジャイアンツ).

And the J-League... we won't even go there. :D

sportsbanner-single.jpg

Archived