NY Liberty to play 1st outdoor Pro Basketball game in July

nyk

I still think the NBA is missing out on a glorious opportunity by not holding a special event street game somewhere.

Think about it, set up some temporary bleachers in the parking lot of the Staples Center (or someplace), put up some nets, paint the asphalt, surround everything by a chain-link fence...hell, do it for an all-star game. Bring the players back to their roots, so to speak, and even have an exhibition match with some of the best street ball players in the country. I think it's a winner.

And for the record, no, I did NOT watch "White Men Can't Jump" recently.

Get the basketball hoop with the chain net...

And to avoid anymore horrendous All-Star uniforms

The game can be Shirts vs Skins... And the teams can just wear their normal unis (full unifor the shirts, team shorts for the skins)

I actually think that would be a great idea.

Someone call David Stern

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I still think they should play more games at Radio City Music Hall like they did in 2004. The surreal experience of basketball played on a proscenium stage is unlike any other environment to witness or take part in. Especially since you could end up chasing the ball and wind up in the orchestra pit.

hpim0423.jpg

IIRC, the Milwaukee Wave did something like this at the old MECCA Auditorium when they were first starting out.

"Surreal" is the right word too. It almost looks like a live action 80's video game (before it was thought to be necessary to put the crowd in).

White Men Can't Jump is so fantastically dated. If people haven't seen it lately, they should look it up. Everyone in that movie looks ridiculous. I watched Do the Right Thing recently, and it's the same thing: Bright colors, short shorts, and everyone looks like a doofus. Can you imagine anyone wearing Wesley Snipes' bicycle cap today? And the funny thing is that it was so cool back then.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

As I have stated in other threads. I like the unique setting of sports played in the "not so familiar" environment. So, I think it's pretty cool regardless. It reminds me of the America West Arena in Phoenix. It does seem that the upper level was not too full at the first tip off. The Getty Images seem to be darkened when showing the upper level.

I would like to know more about the MECCA (Milwaukee Auditorium) and the Milwaukee Wave. It seems that the Wave played there from 1984-1987. As far as I can see or find on line, the original Auditorium was "U" shape. I think the field lay out was basically standard. In 2003 the Auditorium underwent a renovation to the current tiered theatre setting. So, I don't think the Wave set-up was like the Liberty at Radio City.

Is this the same building?

Archived