Piping on 97-07 Sharks jerseys?

ElwoodCuse

Al Iafrate jersey

http://straightcashhomey.net/post/31357888

Every so often I see this style of Sharks jersey with white piping around the silver shiny fabric. This one's a Starter but I've seen some CCM jerseys with it too. As far as I know, the actual jerseys never had it, though. Is this just an example of a late change? The game jerseys scrapped the piping after some replicas already got made?

IIRC there was also supposed to be a neck zipper on this jersey but the NHL nixed that for safety reasons and Nike went with the Y neck instead.

1zgyd8w.jpg

In that case, it could just be a result of the flash photography and not piping. The light may have hit the dazzle material differently where it's sewn to the black material, causing the appearance of the piping.

Of course, that's just one theory. I'd be glad to be proven wrong. ^_^

In that case, it could just be a result of the flash photography and not piping. The light may have hit the dazzle material differently where it's sewn to the black material, causing the appearance of the piping.

Of course, that's just one theory. I'd be glad to be proven wrong. ^_^

You're seeing what I'm seeing, Glenn. No piping there.

And the Sharks' zip-neck prototype had a couple of additional design differences from the final product - It kept the shark fin shoulder patches, and it may not have had the black Bronco stripe inserts.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And the Sharks' zip-neck prototype had a couple of additional design differences from the final product - It kept the shark fin shoulder patches, and it may not have had the black Bronco stripe inserts.

Here are a few pictures of the prototype from eBay from last year:

e0ce_3.jpg

dde7_3.jpg

df52_3.jpg

It's piping, here are some uncrested ones with it in the same spots.

http://www.homegrownsportinggoods.com/sanjoshblnhl.html

Somewhere along the line this was a design element but it had to have been scrapped really early on.

The photo you originally posted had piping where the silver meets black on the back; the one from that link has it where black meets teal.

The prototype shows that there was to be some piping. And the CCM replicas that came out had thicker piping and had the black mesh inserts touching the neckline.

Nike for unknown reasons, ditched it. The team used regular lettering as seen on the Nike prototype for 2 games, then switched to the arched lettering the rest of the way. Those game worn jerseys are very highly valuable. As for the lettering on the Iafrate jersey, when the team debuted the new look, they got the straight letters first, so to try to match it, they arched it instead of having it straight on.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Archived