Presidential advertising on NHL sites

DelayedPenalty

Okay, I understand that website banners are a great way to attract attention, and with the US presidential elections coming up shortly, more and more political ads are emerging. I was surfing my usual sites after class and stumble upon this

Picture1.png

Mapleleafs.com has a Barrack Obama flash advertisement in their sidebar. Is this really an effective target market? I'm in the US (Canadian citizen so can't vote), and am a Leafs fan, so I know there are some out there, but who is this going after?

Yeah, and, furthermore, you're a Michigander, and thus have a Michigan IP. And, if there is a primary here, or Barack somehow manages to get over Hillary's insurmountable lead in the popular vote (oh, wait, she counts states that they both promised not to run in in that total. Hell, in this state he didn't even appear on the ballot. Really? He has the delegate lead too? WHAT? She would have to win 67% of every state left to go into the convention with the lead? Well, she definitely shouldn't drop out then.), they're really going to want you (or, people in our great state who can vote) to vote Obama.

Of course, the city you're in would go Obama by a wide margin.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

I suppose Obama is going after the Maple Leaf fan demographic, which makes sense... The Leafs are out of the playoffs and therefore, Leaf fans can devote more attention to the campaign.

I saw, I came, I left.

This is just a cautionary, preemptive strike. Hillary Clinton mathematically cannot win the nomination based only on the remaining primaries in U.S. states -- she needed to pick up a net gain of 43 delegates in PA to be on pace to tie Obama, but she gained only 9, meaning she actually fell 34 delegates further behind by "winning" Pennsylvania, and now she needs to win at least 70 percent of the vote in every remaining U.S. state just to tie. So her only hope now is to hold primaries outside the United States. So just in case Hillary is able to convince Canadian provinces to hold Democratic primaries, Obama is starting his Canadian campaign now.

That, or it's IP-based advertising to U.S. users of NHL sites. Obama has actually made a habit of sports outreach, notwithstanding the bit where he bowled a 34 in 7 frames. So this would fit with his campaign's overall strategy for reaching men voters.

Hell of a logo, though. Obama for the Democrats and McCain for the Republicans had by far the best logos and campaign identity packages this year; it's interesting that the two candidates with the best logos have won their parties' nominations. Especially since both started the year far down in the polls! QED, it's the quality logos that made the difference.

20082614447.png

This topic brings up a greater issue... the idea of leagues running ads on their sites. We've seen banners... and I know some do Google Ads. Does that cheapen the experience at all?

It would, if sports leagues were not-for-profit charitable institutions, or government bodies. But they're for-profit businesses. As long as they keep the ads off the actual uniforms in baseball, football, and hockey, the leagues can sell whatever other ad space they want as far as I'm concerned. Mercenary commerce by definition cannot "cheapen" something that is already purely commercial.

20082614447.png

Archived