Astros v D-Backs - Color Difference

Bouj

While watching the Astros & D-Backs last night, I started to wonder about the shades of red they wear. I searched the relevant thread, and got an answer, but I just want some clarification. I'm sure PANTONE can rattle off the answer fairly easily.

PANTONE Compares ARI & HOU

1.) According to this, the difference is that the Astros' shade ("brick") is slightly darker (or maybe more towards maroon?) that the D-Backs ("Sedona"), who shade more towards scarlet. PANTONE's color swatch in the link shows the difference fairly obviously, but I am more interested in the minor details.

2.) I know both colors are proprietary, so they aren't exactly readily available, but would you say both colors are closer to cardinal than to scarlet? Scarlet looks more like the St. Louis Cardinals, while cardinal is more Stanford-ish. Neither of them seems too close to maroon (like Texas A&M).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

While watching the Astros & D-Backs last night, I started to wonder about the shades of red they wear. I searched the relevant thread, and got an answer, but I just want some clarification. I'm sure PANTONE can rattle off the answer fairly easily.

PANTONE Compares ARI & HOU

1.) According to this, the difference is that the Astros' shade ("brick") is slightly darker (or maybe more towards maroon?) that the D-Backs ("Sedona"), who shade more towards scarlet. PANTONE's color swatch in the link shows the difference fairly obviously, but I am more interested in the minor details.

2.) I know both colors are proprietary, so they aren't exactly readily available, but would you say both colors are closer to cardinal than to scarlet? Scarlet looks more like the St. Louis Cardinals, while cardinal is more Stanford-ish. Neither of them seems too close to maroon (like Texas A&M).

So the point of this thread was to point to an existing thread?

I'm not sure what you are asking - are you looking for generic color descriptions? (For example, "Cardinal" vs. "Scarlet" vs. "Maroon")

Here are the colors again for comparison - I'll show both Solid colors (used for printing) and Textiles (used for fabrics) when I can:

Arizona Diamondbacks Red (Solid, Textile):

ArizonaDiamondbacksRed_SOL_SRGB.jpgArizonaDiamondbacksRed_TEX_SRGB.jpg

Houston Astros Brick (Solid, Textile):

HoustonAstrosBrick_SOL_SRGB.jpgHoustonAstrosBrick_TEX_SRGB.jpg

I'll post the St. Louis Cardinals, and Texas A&M and Stanford in a minute...

...and here's Texas A&M U. and Stanford U. for good measure (Solid colors only):

TexasAMUMaroon_SOL_SRGB.jpg

StanfordUCardinal_SOL_SRGB.jpg

Just to be clear - color descriptions really don't mean a whole lot. I've seen a wide variety of Pantone colors used to depict "Scarlet", "Cardinal" and "Maroon"; I really don't think you can very easily place a particular color into a generic bucket.

St. Louis Cardinals (Solid, Textile):

SaintLouisCardinalsRed_SOL_SRGB.jpgSaintLouisCardinalsRed_TEX_SRGB.jpg

lol @ "Red" and "True Red"

Its like "Red" is just a trick or fakeout

The color descriptions in quotes are just the descriptions that Pantone, Inc. gives its Textile colors.

Thanks for all the info, PANTONE. I guess the specific questions would be: is D-Backs Sedona Red closer to cardinal than scarlet, and is Astros Brick Red closer to cardinal than scarlet? The examples you provided seem to answer my questions. The D-Backs are just a bit off from cardinal, and the Astros look like a redder version of Texas Burnt Orange.

You're correct about the general descriptions, though. I was just curious as to how close they were to the other colors. Obviously, MLB has done some work to ensure they created a specific color that they can identify with a team. I just wanted to know how close they really were to "generic" colors (just in this case - being an Astros fan).

And I didn't just ask this in the other thread because the other thread was more specific to the Diamondbacks and this question was more specific to the D-Backs and Astros.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Great info here. Thanks for the post.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I'm not sure what you are asking - are you looking for generic color descriptions? (For example, "Cardinal" vs. "Scarlet" vs. "Maroon")

Here are the colors again for comparison - I'll show both Solid colors (used for printing) and Textiles (used for fabrics) when I can:

Arizona Diamondbacks Red (Solid, Textile):

ArizonaDiamondbacksRed_SOL_SRGB.jpgArizonaDiamondbacksRed_TEX_SRGB.jpg

Houston Astros Brick (Solid, Textile):

HoustonAstrosBrick_SOL_SRGB.jpgHoustonAstrosBrick_TEX_SRGB.jpg

I'll post the St. Louis Cardinals, and Texas A&M and Stanford in a minute...

Wow. When you see them next to eachother like that, they're not similar at all...

Sigs are for sissies.

Archived