Making the jump to Illustrator

chestnutz

Anyone have an interest in making $50 for doing nothing more than using their student discount to buy some Adobe software on my behalf?

I've finally decided to shell out for one of the Adobe CS3 suites, but I'll be damned if I'm going to shell out $1,500+ if I can get it for one-third that much, particularly considering how little I'll actually wind up using it.

I don't think you're supposed to do that :P

Anyone have an interest in making $50 for doing nothing more than using their student discount to buy some Adobe software on my behalf?

I've finally decided to shell out for one of the Adobe CS3 suites, but I'll be damned if I'm going to shell out $1,500+ if I can get it for one-third that much, particularly considering how little I'll actually wind up using it.

I don't think you're supposed to do that :P

I meant to pick up Photoshop before I left grad school, but got broke and busy beforehand. Once I get a new laptop, I'm going to do something similar with a friend still at school to get Photoshop for $80 or so. I feel like I'd be dumb not to.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I think you'd be equally dumb to state your intentions on a message board where people know your name and location...just sayin'

Of course, I would never call you dumb, David Gitlin of Seattle.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Yeah, I don't know what you're talking about. My name is DG_Now. Nothing more, nothing less.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Is it really just illustrator? What I mean is I find that when starting projects, photoshop and illustrator go hand-in-hand. I'm sure there are people that just create vector logos. But I would think most graphic design work eventually ends up in Photoshop.

I am training myself in these programs, so I'm no expert. Could a professional give some insight to this?

My workflow may be different from others', but I almost never use Photoshop on a graphic design project, except maybe to make an occasional mockup, or if I'm working with my raw photo files from a digital camera.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Is it really just illustrator? What I mean is I find that when starting projects, photoshop and illustrator go hand-in-hand. I'm sure there are people that just create vector logos. But I would think most graphic design work eventually ends up in Photoshop.

I am training myself in these programs, so I'm no expert. Could a professional give some insight to this?

My workflow may be different from others', but I almost never use Photoshop on a graphic design project, except maybe to make an occasional mockup, or if I'm working with my raw photo files from a digital camera.

Its really impossible to determine the typical programs for a designer, because different jobs require different programs.

My job (designing T-shirts and appearal) I use Illustrator mainly and Photoshop when I do any photo or high end illustrations. I never touch InDesign (but that will change) or anything else.

A previous job where I designed catalogs and ads for a college, I used InDesign and Photoshop only. Never Illustrator oddly enough.

Same with another previous job where I was creating large and grand scale graphics (wall murals, car wraps, billboards) I rarely used illustrator. Although this company did use Freehand for some weird reason so it was kind of Illustrator.

It all depends on the kind of design job you have as to what you're going to use on a daily basis.

So my birthday's coming up, and along with an iPhone, I'm really thinking of asking for illustrator CS3. I've used inkscape for my vector needs for over a year now, and I realize that design is something I really want to pursue as a career. Is now the time to make the jump to it? Is it that much better than inkscape? Looking at the new features and such on adobe.com, it looks to be much more advanced than the free inkscape.

My second question is: can I get a student discount? I'm in high school, do I qualify? How much is the discount?

Thanks to any responses.

Illustrator CS3 is a great program, but personally, I'd go with photoshop.

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

Archived