1952 Yankees sleeve patch orientation

spyboy1

I was wondering if anyone had any photos that would show the correct orientation of a 1952 New York Yankees 50th Anniversary sleeve patch.

I've seen it on replica Mitchell & Ness jerseys two different ways, but have not had much luck finding a photo of an actual player from back then with that particular patch.

The first way is with the Yankees word straight across and the outer works offset

Straight.jpg

and the other way is to have the outer words centered over each other and the Yankees wordmark slanted upwards.

Rotated.jpg

Perhaps this will be a case that the patch was sewn on both ways back then when they didn't pay as close attention to such details.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Wordmark slanted up with ouside words centered on each other. Found the team pic at ultimateyankees.com (look at the 2nd 1952 pic, It was taken to the team's left, so a great view). No variation as far as I can tell, all look to be that way.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Wordmark slanted up with ouside words centered on each other. Found the team pic at ultimateyankees.com (look at the 2nd 1952 pic, It was taken to the team's left, so a great view). No variation as far as I can tell, all look to be that way.

Very cool find. Thanks.

HansonsSig.jpg

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I'm willing to bet the patch was designed with the Yankees word straight, like the logo is

63-63201_b~Yankees-Logo-Fathead-Posters.jpg

and they sewed them on to center the words incorrectly. What team suddenly decides to rotate their logo like that?

Thanks for the photo of the Mantle jersey. If you compare where the upper "1" and lower "5" line up with the pinstripe, it looks even more rotated counter clockwise than being centered.

HansonsSig.jpg

I'm willing to bet the patch was designed with the Yankees word straight, like the logo is

63-63201_b~Yankees-Logo-Fathead-Posters.jpg

and they sewed them on to center the words incorrectly. What team suddenly decides to rotate their logo like that?

The same designer who decides to move the bat out of alignment with the "k" and from a NE/SW to a NW/SE direction. That tells me that they were trying to make the logo work in an unfamiliar orientation.

Rotated.jpg

Certainly didn't need to - could have just increased the space between "50TH" and "YEAR" to make room for the bat as is.

Archived