Alberta Gets 2012 WJHC

broncos711

Winnipeg should get the next one I hope!

Winnipeg got theirs in 1999. Let the rest of the country get their turn.

Except Toronto.

I'm going to play the part of the ignorant American:

"Why not Toronto?"

Toronto only cares for the Leafs. Sad, but true.

Yeah, some people call Toronto "the hockey capital of the world", but it's really not. We had 4 teams (now down to 3) and there is still no support for the OHL or AHL teams. Although I got to say, my family loves watching the WJHC.

Except Toronto.

"Why not Toronto?"

Yeah, some people call Toronto "the hockey capital of the world", but it's really not. We had 4 teams (now down to 3) and there is still no support for the OHL or AHL teams. Although I got to say, my family loves watching the WJHC.

Whats the 3rd team in Toronto? There's the Leafs and Marlies, but they lost the Majors last year.

1zqy8ok.gif

Except Toronto.

"Why not Toronto?"

Whats the 3rd team in Toronto? There's the Leafs and Marlies, but they lost the Majors last year.

Or maybe he meant 4 OHL teams in the GTA?

I saw, I came, I left.

Ridder would be too small for any of the games, I think; it only seats about 3,500. It is a terrifically intimate venue, though, I've gotten to referee some rec games there.

Don't forget about Target Center. It may not be the best setup for hockey, but it would likely still be usable.

Don't forget, though, that this tourney is largely ignored by the US (heck, until last year, it wasn't available on US TV, and that only happened because of the NHL Network. How many of you have that? I just happen to have a local co-op cable company that cares about hockey here in northern Minnesota (and they put it on the Sports Tier), but besides that, I can't imagine many cable companies carry it), and there will be games between, for example, Kazakhstan and Belorussia that even the die-hard hockey fans won't care about. Do you really think that those games need a 10,000 seat rink (let alone the Target Center) as a secondary building?

That's one reason I think Buffalo and GF have an advantage over MSP - re: proximity to the Canadian border. Not that Canadians care more about those games, but if the US struggles (or doesn't make it to the medal round), attendance shouldn't suffer too much. I can't imagine good attendance in MSP if there's no US in the medal rounds...

Moose

Ridder would be too small for any of the games, I think; it only seats about 3,500. It is a terrifically intimate venue, though, I've gotten to referee some rec games there.

I'm not sure how much greater the attendance would be in the metro area compared to Grand Forks/TRF, but all the games held in Thief River Falls drew between 700 and 1300, including two great matchups, Finland vs. Sweden and The Czech Republic vs. Russia, with both Ovechkin and Malkin on that team, which drew under 1000.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Except Toronto.

"Why not Toronto?"

Oshawa, Mississauga, St Mikes, Brampton? Oshawa gets great support. I can't speak for the other 2 remaining OHL teams but I gotta figure the Marlies would probably get better support if they didn't have such high ticket prices for minor league hockey -- they lowered the price somewhat for this season so we'll see.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Except Toronto.

"Why not Toronto?"

Oshawa, Mississauga, St Mikes, Brampton? Oshawa gets great support. I can't speak for the other 2 remaining OHL teams but I gotta figure the Marlies would probably get better support if they didn't have such high ticket prices for minor league hockey -- they lowered the price somewhat for this season so we'll see.

I was thinking of the 4 major hockey teams in Toronto-Mississauga, forgot to include Brampton. I think smaller cities get better support for major junior hockey teams because it's a "community" thing. The only way the Marlies would get support is if Tavares played there, tbh.

So, 5 hockey teams in the GTA...3 of them basically ignored? Not a good hockey town.

Archived