Optimus Thread: Apprentice Challenge 7

Cola

Alright, looks like we have set 2 since bruschi selected set 1. Set 2 has a choice of either:

1926 MLB World Series in Chicago

Teams: St. Louis Cardinals & New York Yankees

or

1985 Stanley Cup in Toronto

Teams: Edmonton Oilers & Philadelphia Flyers

Personally, I am going to start working on something for the 1926 WS because I care more about what bark is made of than hockey...so my interests will hopefully make the design thrive in this challenge.

Anyhow, I think research on the "Roaring Twenties" is due. Check out magazine clips, logos, book covers, newspaper articles, merchandise, and anything else with script or logos just to get a feel of the era. From a quick look, design on most items wasn't very complex...many were straight and to the point, very bold, and featured readable and identifiable text.

I think in this case, using the "stars & bars" would work to our advantage, maybe using an even red/white/blue for the colors, and possibly a shield design of some sort. Just a few thoughts.

Alrighty, if everyone would check in- that would be cool...I'm going to start on a few immediate ideas.

Also, because I think it is pretty confusing with how the challenge was laid out...I want to clear (or hope to) some things up. Actually, I just hope pcqd sees this and clears this up:

We need to create either a 1985 Stanley Cup logo or a 1926 World Series logo. The championship logo must include city name, year, and league logos or language if we choose to use them.

Then we need to present championship t-shirts. This is a totally separate design, as the World Series logo or Super Bowl logo, etc never has the team logo intertwined in it. It is usually just a shirt that says "WORLD CHAMPIONS" with the team logo and then that year's World Series logo somewhere small and seemingly irrelevant.

Other items/merchandise can also be added. I think that about covers it, I am just hoping I am right about the "Champions Logo" as well as the "Championship Logo".

Maybe this image clears it up for myself:

reebok_super_bowl_champions_tee_shirt_reviews_1113218_300.jpg

or

41-64372-F.jpg

I guess the t-shirt is more of a "design" rather than a "logo".

Anyhow, I am still working on a few ideas...just wanted to throw this out there.

Also, because I think it is pretty confusing with how the challenge was laid out...I want to clear (or hope to) some things up. Actually, I just hope pcqd sees this and clears this up:

We need to create either a 1985 Stanley Cup logo or a 1926 World Series logo. The championship logo must include city name, year, and league logos or language if we choose to use them.

Then we need to present championship t-shirts. This is a totally separate design, as the World Series logo or Super Bowl logo, etc never has the team logo intertwined in it. It is usually just a shirt that says "WORLD CHAMPIONS" with the team logo and then that year's World Series logo somewhere small and seemingly irrelevant.

Other items/merchandise can also be added. I think that about covers it, I am just hoping I am right about the "Champions Logo" as well as the "Championship Logo".

Maybe this image clears it up for myself:

reebok_super_bowl_champions_tee_shirt_reviews_1113218_300.jpg

or

41-64372-F.jpg

I guess the t-shirt is more of a "design" rather than a "logo".

Anyhow, I am still working on a few ideas...just wanted to throw this out there.

Correct...but elements from the Championship shirt typically flow with the identity for the event itself.

Hey guys, I'm here and will try my best in this one. I've been moving house for the last week or so, but I'm done now and have an internet connection so hopefully I can make up for my absence in the last couple of rounds.

I tend to agree with Cola about the World Series, I just have a lot more interest in baseball than hockey. I also think it'll be fun to try some old school imagery. Will try and post some ideas soon.

also curious as to why it says the city as Chicago for the World Series. Wouldn't it have been in St. Louis and New York?

I wanted to treat all events as a one game event like the Super Bowl that had a predetermined city.

Pretend that's the way it was done for this one :P

Alright, I think it's a good start. I don't think those baseball illustrations fit well with the rest of the package and the font feels too thin compared to the pattern. Speaking of which, what is that pattern from? I think it certainly fits that era and it is a good start for sure and something we can work off of.

I can thin the stroke on the design to match the font...but I like the font because it pairs well with the rest of the design and doesn't look modern at all.

the design is based almost directly from one of the wrigley field scoreboards because my intentions are to base the game at that stadium. so it kind of meshed well and can work in reverse if the scoreboard appeared after 1926.

Well, here is an update. I don't know about you all, but I have found it quite challenging to limit myself to the constraints of this era...especially when thinking in terms of design. Frankly, most design was very simple and poor by today's standards or even the standards 50 years from that time. I keep wanting to go a tad "outside of the box" but once I stick to my guns and continue...I feel like the end product isn't so bad.

Anyhow, I also thinned some of the strokes to match things up...and I gave a variation with a star instead of baseball, when maybe that whole element needs to disappear...again, design was VERY simple it appears to me in this era.

WorldSeries1926_edit1.jpg

Well, here is an update. I don't know about you all, but I have found it quite challenging to limit myself to the constraints of this era...especially when thinking in terms of design. Frankly, most design was very simple and poor by today's standards or even the standards 50 years from that time. I keep wanting to go a tad "outside of the box" but once I stick to my guns and continue...I feel like the end product isn't so bad.

Anyhow, I also thinned some of the strokes to match things up...and I gave a variation with a star instead of baseball, when maybe that whole element needs to disappear...again, design was VERY simple it appears to me in this era.

WorldSeries1926_edit1.jpg

I just don't see what the rounded element adds. I think we should leave it be straight. I also prefer the star. The stroke changes look good but do you think there should be some difference between the "1926" and "World Series?" Maybe invert the colors? Sorry I haven't been able to work anything up yet, I'll try to do so by the weekend.

Well, I added the curve because I think the straight makes it look more like a tombstone...lol and I didn't want to associate death with baseball.

Nahhh!! :D I don't think it looks like a gravestone, seriously. Plus I don't think the bottom-rounded curve exactly fits in with the time. Maybe an arc facing up, but not down.

Question: Would they really have "Championship T-Shirts" going around in 1926? Just something to think about.

I guess in this challenge, they would. Although...you just gave me a little idea to run with, even though it might go against the rules.

Well I'm interested to hear it. Should we still make a T-Shirt?

I just tried out a program. I think it has potential but I need some feedback on it. Here is an official score card from the series just for an idea of the times.

U743-1221362990.pngprogram_large_1926.jpg

How is the logo coming? Any updates? William?

Edit: I just realized I should switch the Yankees and Cardinals words since the team above the Yankees words is the Cardinals, and vice versa.

Archived