New AFL Gold Coast team logo

rmered

The Dockers' look is probably one of the most distinctive in all of sports. I don't think anyone has that purple-green-red combo, and the anchor look is synonymous with the club, even after just 15 seasons.

But "Freo, Way to Go" needs to go.

As for the GCFC thing... well... I mean, I like the idea of there not being a contrived nickname, but still... it looks really, really awkward. The fact that the colors are the same as the Lions is unforgivable.

philly.png

• 4 months later...

Digging up this old thread because I happened to see this -- one of the leading candidates for the new GCFC club song.

For those unaware, the club song is really a critical part of Australian Football teams' identities. I guess it's akin to the college fight songs that you see over here. And of the 16 clubs in the AFL, 13 of them use bastardized versions of old songs. For example, "When the Saints Go Marching In", "Yankee Doodle Dandy", and the Notre Dame Fight Song.

This song is the love child of two non-conforming club songs -- "Power to Win" and "Freo, Way to Go".

In other words, catchy, kitchy, and, after a couple of listens, kind of annoying.

philly.png

Archived