New AFL Gold Coast team logo

rmered

Maybe an unofficial nickname will come eventually instead of a bunch of uninspired names to choose from.

While I like this idea and it has obviously worked in the past... this is a professional club starting out in a tough market. Marketing and branding is needed from day one.

And almost exactly copying the colour scheme of the club who will be their local rival. They've dropped the ball on this one.

The no nickname part bugs me less, as the fans might come up with one in time. They've got 2 years to think of it. But the colours in no-way suggest the Gold Coast. I know the Titans got in first with the marine blue and sand colour scheme, but something with Aqua at least. Is the yellow meant to be gold? I might give them that.

And that mascot looks like they gave the Chesty Bonds guy an unnecessary chin implant.

liverpool-1.png

Gold Coast Football Club

No nickname.

By design.

Not 'haven't thought of one yet', just 'we're not having one'.

What they do have is a mascot for the kiddies...

gazza050908.jpg

Oh dear.

Hello Gold Coast Fail Club.

Are AFL shorts getting shorter still???

Just had a thought. A-League is coming to the Coast as well but this closes off any chance they can use a generic Gold Coast FC identity. They'll need to go with Gold Coast United or one of the other names they've used through the application process.

The AFL are cunning buggers aren't they?

liverpool-1.png

Just had a thought. A-League is coming to the Coast as well but this closes off any chance they can use a generic Gold Coast FC identity. They'll need to go with Gold Coast United or one of the other names they've used through the application process.

The AFL are cunning buggers aren't they?

Well, yes they are, however, most A-League clubs are known by their nickname as well as their city name.

Melbourne Victory, Perth Glory, Newcastle Jets etc

Only Sydney is really called Sydney FC.

And perhaps Adelaide with Adelaide United.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

"The GC17 Bid Team carefully considered all of the available information and community input from the (brand development) process."

"The overwhelming response was that people were passionate about the Gold Coast and wanted the team's identity to reflect the symbols of the Gold Coast."

"From there we determined that within the AFL there was a strong opportunity in both the local and national market to take a unique branding position as a sporting team based around our home, the Gold Coast."

"Gold Coasters love the Gold Coast. We believe in our community, we believe in ourselves and what we have to offer. We also believe in and have an emotional connection to our AFL football team."

"AFL fans everywhere will understand what we are about as soon as we run onto the field... we are about the Gold Coast and what it stands for. We are proudly GC and we will have half a million people behind us."

"We want to evoke emotion in people. AFL football is an emotive sport. A supporter's emotional world is put on the line every time their team runs onto the field."

"With the Gold Coast Football Club playing in the national AFL competition, we want people to feel like they belong to this team which will bring so much to the region."

- John Witheriff, GC 17 Chairman

As for the mascot character (somebody had WAY too much time on their hands)...

Name: GC

Full Name: Gary Clifford Irons

Like Superman, GC's a split personality - A mild-mannered Life-Saver during the week, a Super-Hero footy freak on weekends.

Personality: The Ironman with a heart of gold.

Club: The Gold Coast Football Club

Back Story: During the week, Gazza is a Surf-Lifesaver, a clubbie and patriotic Queenslander, born and bred on the Gold Coast. He's also a very handy footballerwho's been booting a sherrin on main beach since he was a nipper. But, like all great Super-Heroes, he has a powerful alter-ego - Revealed when he strips down to his Ironman togs and becomes the footy freak 'GC'.

Character: GC's got some impressive football powers, and he's itching to get a crack at the big time. He may be the new kid on the block at Mascot Manor, but he's no pushover. In fact, you don't want to go kicking sand in the face of this buffed and bronzed Aussie. Under his easy-going 'Clubbie' exterior beats a determined heart of gold, a great mate who values loyalty and community above all.

He's got plenty to prove to the rest of the AFL world and he's not afraid to work harder than anyone to prove it.

Lives: GC is moving into the northern end of Mascot Manor, sharing the poolside room with Bernie 'Gabba' Vegas and Syd 'Swannie' Skilton. (Rumor has it that 'Swannie' is not happy with the new arrangements and may move into a new room with a mysterious new mascot from Western Sydney.)

Signature Move: 'The Broadbeach Body Slam', where GC dives on his opponent and buries them in the sand like he was diving for the baton in a beach sprint.

Likes: The Gold Coast Football Club, saving lives, long walks on the beach, his paddle board and bending barefoot bananas from the boundary line.

Dislikes: Having to wait to prove himself in the big league... and 'that trashy lion from Bris-Vegas'.

Voice: A deep, smooth, Australian twang, Keith Urban meets Grant Kenny. He's relaxed, laid back and tends to put 'Eh' at the end of his sentences.

Quotable Quote: 'Carn Gold Coast! Beautiful Footy One Day, Perfect the Next, Eh!'

"AFL fans everywhere will understand what we are about as soon as we run onto the field... we are about the Gold Coast and what it stands for.

"...and as soon as we work out what that actually means, we'll be sure to get back to you."

The more I think about it, the more I find the fact that they already have the mascot sorted out a little disturbing.

In AFL terms, the mascot is the third-string marketing gimmick for the kids (i.e. "Mascot Manor"). Why did the Gold Coast even bother to launch their mascot so early in the piece...we haven't even seen the jumper yet! Do I smell the AFL being a little peeved with the 'no-nickname' outcome and demanding something more marketable than the snorefest that is GCFC?

Archived