Broncos 1996 Wordmark

mediocreguy

Hey guys, long time reader, infrequent poster...

While going through old photos the other day, I happened upon a picture I had of a Broncos hat I had in 1996. This was the year before the 'predominantly orange' switch to the current uniforms, but I think we had a few tastes of what Nike was going to do with us in '96. The hat was Navy (which to any Broncos fan was odd, Royal Blue had been the staple for years), but also had a strange Broncos wordmark written on the back.

Unfortunately the picture I had was only of the front, and so it was the standard D logo. However, I remember the maker was Nike, who was the uniform provider at the time. What I can't find pictures of (and I don't have the cap anymore) was the wordmark. If I remember correctly, it was put on not only merchandise, but I believe on-field sideline apparel as well. This was before the NFL gear had yearly standardized fonts for apparel (a practice I detest, each year the templates just get worse and worse). I believe it may have been official but only for that year. As far as what I remember (keep in mind this was 11-12 years ago and I was in the 6th grade), it was the word Broncos arched vertically. The font was serif'd and I believe it was blue outlined in orange. If I recall, it wasn't anything like the 70s-80s-90s Bronco font, but had a bit of 49er-like embellishments on some of the letters (think of the letter E in 49er's, whatever the design element is on the cross of the e on the left of the letter. Is that a serif?) Anyway, I wish I could help more, and I really wish I still had that hat and could take a picture. To my knowledge it wasn't used in the endzones in 96 but I don't really remember. I think that had it, it'd be more well known.

Anyone else remember this, or better yet, have a picture of it? I'll keep an eye out on the net and see if I run across anything.

Hey guys, long time reader, infrequent poster...

While going through old photos the other day, I happened upon a picture I had of a Broncos hat I had in 1996. This was the year before the 'predominantly orange' switch to the current uniforms, but I think we had a few tastes of what Nike was going to do with us in '96. The hat was Navy (which to any Broncos fan was odd, Royal Blue had been the staple for years), but also had a strange Broncos wordmark written on the back.

Unfortunately the picture I had was only of the front, and so it was the standard D logo. However, I remember the maker was Nike, who was the uniform provider at the time. What I can't find pictures of (and I don't have the cap anymore) was the wordmark. If I remember correctly, it was put on not only merchandise, but I believe on-field sideline apparel as well. This was before the NFL gear had yearly standardized fonts for apparel (a practice I detest, each year the templates just get worse and worse). I believe it may have been official but only for that year. As far as what I remember (keep in mind this was 11-12 years ago and I was in the 6th grade), it was the word Broncos arched vertically. The font was serif'd and I believe it was blue outlined in orange. If I recall, it wasn't anything like the 70s-80s-90s Bronco font, but had a bit of 49er-like embellishments on some of the letters (think of the letter E in 49er's, whatever the design element is on the cross of the e on the left of the letter. Is that a serif?) Anyway, I wish I could help more, and I really wish I still had that hat and could take a picture. To my knowledge it wasn't used in the endzones in 96 but I don't really remember. I think that had it, it'd be more well known.

Anyone else remember this, or better yet, have a picture of it? I'll keep an eye out on the net and see if I run across anything.

I'll look around and see if I have anything...don't know if I do.

However, I remember seeing a lot of Navy Broncos' stuff the season before the re-design...I thought it was weird as well, but I've always wondered if they were "testing" the new color out before rolling out the new logo.

I apologize for the what is probably the worst screenshot ever, but I'm going through the Broncos history DVDs and this is about as close as I could find to it. It at least shows that it was used on official sideline material. Looks like the leading B and the ending S were larger than the others, if that helps any.

broncosmarkwp9.jpg

I also completely forgot they used Blue swooshes on Orange, I'd though they were white.

I'll see if I can find anything else.

EDIT- A wee bit more, but not much in the Getty Archives...

72560454gd1.jpg356924nh3.jpg

Still not much to go on, sorry guys.

And unrelated but awesome, in the DVD, check out the handwarmer on Rivers (38), I've never seen the D logo inverted like that.

handwarmervm0.jpg

I apologize for the what is probably the worst screenshot ever, but I'm going through the Broncos history DVDs and this is about as close as I could find to it. It at least shows that it was used on official sideline material. Looks like the leading B and the ending S were larger than the others, if that helps any.

broncosmarkwp9.jpg

I also completely forgot they used Blue swooshes on Orange, I'd though they were white.

I'll see if I can find anything else.

EDIT- A wee bit more, but not much in the Getty Archives...

72560454gd1.jpg356924nh3.jpg

Still not much to go on, sorry guys.

And unrelated but awesome, in the DVD, check out the handwarmer on Rivers (38), I've never seen the D logo inverted like that.

handwarmervm0.jpg

Those orange jerseys are really sharp. I wouldn't be opposed to the Broncos going back to orange primaries on white pants.

In a somewhat unrelated note, I've always wondered if there was a connection between the Denver logo and the Durham Bulls logo. In the time period they debuted things weren't as "global" as they are now... did one try to emulate the other? Were they designed by the same person?

Has this bugged anyone else before?

300px-Durham_Bulls.gif

33-24787-F.jpg

fade.gif

Thank you! I still prefer this to the current wordmark which is beginning to look a bit dated already.

And yeah, it really does look like a baseball font.

One thing that hat reminded me of was when they put the D logo on the hat, they kept 'behind the horse' Royal Blue, like it was on the helmet. With a navy background it looks kind of awkward...

Thank you! I still prefer this to the current wordmark which is beginning to look a bit dated already.

And yeah, it really does look like a baseball font.

One thing that hat reminded me of was when they put the D logo on the hat, they kept 'behind the horse' Royal Blue, like it was on the helmet. With a navy background it looks kind of awkward...

The wordmark just fit, given the team name and Denver's status as a "western" city. Bravura work.

Then they decided to go all "modern" and threw away all proper name/city connotations.

Archived