Mets to try for MLS bid....

nyk

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heres a cool name

New York Cosmos

Isn't the New York Cosmos identity still owned by one of the former executives of the original NASL team? And isn't he asking an astronomic (cosmonautic?) amount of money for it? I could be wrong, but if that's true it could push any new ownership group toward another identity.

Heres a cool name

New York Cosmos

Isn't the New York Cosmos identity still owned by one of the former executives of the original NASL team? And isn't he asking an astronomic (cosmonautic?) amount of money for it? I could be wrong, but if that's true it could push any new ownership group toward another identity.

Yes, which is why this argument is kinda useless.

• 2 weeks later...

The name is supposedly owned by Peppe Pinton, a former employee of the club (he was basically the last one standing when the NASL collapsed). His claim has been publicly challenged by Time Warner execs, but he probably has at least a squatter's claim on it.

Last time around, he was asking for $2M. I suspect he'd take $1M cash, which in the long run isn't a whole lot of money for the right to lay claim to that legacy. Especially if the owner of the second New York team is either David Beckham or the Wilpons.

Archived