Mets to try for MLS bid....

nyk

Mets' MLS bid put off to 2012

BY MICHAEL LEWIS, New York Daily News

Wednesday, October 15th 2008, 9:15 PM

The Mets have decided to wait until the 2012 MLS season at the earliest to own a soccer team because there are no "concrete" plans for a stadium.

The Mets, who have expressed interest in owning a pro soccer team, did not submit a bid by Wednesday's 5 p.m. deadline. Seven prospective ownership groups did.

MLS plans to add two more clubs in the next few years, bringing the league to 18teams. Seattle Sounders FC begin play next year as the 15th team in MLS. Philadelphia will join as the 16th club in 2010.

David Howard, the Mets executive vice president in charge of business, said the team did not enter a bid because plans for a soccer-specific stadium were not complete.

"It's something that we still have a very significant degree of interest in, but one of the fundamental elements would be having a facility and we would want to have a world-class facility for a soccer franchise," Howard said last night. "Until these plans become concrete, we thought it would be premature to submit an application for an expansion franchise."

Howard said there were key questions yet to be answered. "Where would we play, how the facility would be developed and would it be ready (for 2011)?" he said.

The Mets are focusing on opening Citi Field for next season.

Having a soccer team in Queens would be natural because of the diverse population in the city, said Howard. The Mets' decision did not surprise MLS.

"We did not anticipate they would (submit an application)," league president Mark Abbott said. "They had expressed an interest. There is a lot of work that needs to be done on the potential of a stadium. That will take some time."

The seven applicants (with ownership groups in parentheses) were: Atlanta (Arthur Blank), Miami (FC Barcelona and Marcelo Claure), Montreal (Saputo and Gillett families), Ottawa (Eugene Melnyk), Portland (Merritt Paulson, son of U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson), St.Louis (investment group led by Jeff Cooper) and Vancouver (Greg Kerfoot, NBA star Steve Nash and Jeff Mallett).

The league will decide later this year or in early 2009 on the next two teams, which could be added as early as 2011.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't think of a better place in the United States of America to put a professional soccer team than Queens (soccer-mad immigrant population, better access to a massive city than the other "New York" team), and I have been hoping for an MLS team in the five boroughs for a while now (especially if they could meet the price for the Cosmos trademarks).

That being said, I understand there are several markets out there that want their first team, and that probably deserve one more than the New York metropolitan area does a second. But that didn't stop them from putting another team in L.A.

To be fair, it was expected that Chivas USA would be a bigger success than they've been, since the Galaxy had generally been successful, especially after the opening of the HDC.

NYRB, on the other hand, has been more or less a disaster from year one. It doesn't make any sense to put another team in the same metro as a struggling team, unless your goal is to kill off at least one of them.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I don't think that the Mets' plan would have had a shot at getting in in this round of expansion. While I too think that a team within the city would be great for New York, I don't think that MLS is going to give ANOTHER city its second team, especially when attendance at RBNY games is never among the league's best numbers. Wait until Red Bull Arena is completed and the Philadelphia team has begun play, and I think that attendance at RBNY games should increase dramatically. However, I still think that it was unwise to put the new stadium outside of the city. I know that building within the boroughs would dramatically increase costs, but I'm still not sure if they can expect that many more city-dwellers to travel outside the city for soccer games, especially on weeknights. Diehards, yes. But I'm not so sure about casual fans. Football has no problem in New Jersey because it's football. People will travel for football, but it remains to be seen whether they'll be willing to make the trek for RBNY games. I hope so. But if I was Don Garber, I wouldn't even think about another New York team until the one that's already in place gets some more support.

I eagerly anticipate seeing which two cities that submitted bids for this round will get teams. Legitimate cases can be made for nearly all of them. Right off the bat I think St. Louis and Montreal are the front-runners, but that could change as details and specifics of each bid are made public.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I can't think of a better place in the United States of America to put a professional soccer team than Queens (soccer-mad immigrant population, better access to a massive city than the other "New York" team), and I have been hoping for an MLS team in the five boroughs for a while now (especially if they could meet the price for the Cosmos trademarks).

Nothing would be more fitting for the New York "Metropolitans" (as the media likes to sometimes style them) than owning the New York Cosmopolitans.

And you're right - Queens is a natural fit. I don't see how they could lose.

Nothing would be more fitting for the New York "Metropolitans" (as the media likes to sometimes style them) than owning the New York Cosmopolitans.

If the Mets are trying to get an MLS Team ,they should also talk to Woody Johnson about buying the Jets and Moving the team Back to Queens or the now defunct Roosevelt Raceway!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

While the rest of the previous post was kinda silly, there actually was talk of putting a soccer-only stadium in the Aqueduct Racetrack for the then-MetroStars in 2001 (source) but it seems they are moving ahead with plans to turn it into a "Racino" (source).

I would imagine RB"NY" management would be none too happy with a rival team in their market, especially one that is actually in New York City's borders and infinitely easier to get to, but it's not like the New Jersey market isn't fertile in its own right. Like I said, I would be thrilled if New York City got a team, but I would understand if the league decided to tap a new market instead. I do think a second team in the New York market is inevitable.

Well, they do have a small say--they are part of the MLS ownership, after all, and as such would be involved in making expansion decisions.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

would the team be called NYMFC?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

If the Mets are trying to get an MLS Team ,they should also talk to Woody Johnson about buying the Jets and Moving the team Back to Queens or the now defunct Roosevelt Raceway!

I take it you haven't been anywhere near Roosevelt Raceway in the past at least five years or so. The entire parcel is now a housing/retail development. There is no absolutly no place to put a stadium for a soccer team there let alone a stadium of the size required for an NFL team. Even then it was never big enough for a stadium of that size and the NIMBYS would kill any attempt at a project that large. If Nassau County was an option for an MLS team the best bet would be to attempt to build a stadium for them in the Mitchell Field athletic complex.

The proposed "Milwaukee" team actually had plans to use a race car track in the 'burbs as its home grounds. Supposedly they had a way to pull a playing surface over the actual track so the pitch would extend all the way to the grandstand.

I take it you haven't been anywhere near Roosevelt Raceway in the past at least five years or so. The entire parcel is now a housing/retail development. There is no absolutly no place to put a stadium for a soccer team there let alone a stadium of the size required for an NFL team. Even then it was never big enough for a stadium of that size and the NIMBYS would kill any attempt at a project that large. If Nassau County was an option for an MLS team the best bet would be to attempt to build a stadium for them in the Mitchell Field athletic complex.

I think the Nassau Couny Executives are idiots. That was the perfect location for a major sports facility. There was already highway exits with the meadowbrook right there. The land was just sitting there for ten years unused. They could have built a real nice stadium there or even a new jets practice facility so they didn't have to leave LI. Yea that new place such a waste of land. You can't find land like that in Nassau anymore.

yankees-1.png

I think the Nassau Couny Executives are idiots. That was the perfect location for a major sports facility. There was already highway exits with the meadowbrook right there. The land was just sitting there for ten years unused. They could have built a real nice stadium there or even a new jets practice facility so they didn't have to leave LI. Yea that new place such a waste of land. You can't find land like that in Nassau anymore.

I agree that the County Executive is an idiot. However, the location was far from perfect for a major sports facility. First the parcel was just too small. There wasn't enough room to include a facility and parking. The lack of public transit options into the area would make it difficult to get to by any means other than by car. The Meadowbrook IMHO would not be able to absorb the additional capacity the road is pretty much already at its breaking point. Finally, any stadium type project in that area would be tied up in litigation for the next decade at the least because of the folks in Westbury and Garden City not wanting it there.

I agree that the County Executive is an idiot. However, the location was far from perfect for a major sports facility. First the parcel was just too small. There wasn't enough room to include a facility and parking. The lack of public transit options into the area would make it difficult to get to by any means other than by car. The Meadowbrook IMHO would not be able to absorb the additional capacity the road is pretty much already at its breaking point. Finally, any stadium type project in that area would be tied up in litigation for the next decade at the least because of the folks in Westbury and Garden City not wanting it there.

It did become too small when they built the mall and target and movie theaters around. Originally before that there could have been enough room. But it also depends on what you want to build.That's a good point about being tied up in the legal system for a while. I was thinking about the public transportation but the islanders seem to survive without it just down the road. Pretty much I wish they would have done somethibg more interesting than wha they did.

yankees-1.png

would the team be called NYMFC?

Nope...more like Fuggetaboutit United.

haha

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Archived