Mets to try for MLS bid....

nyk

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Mets might as well try their hand at soccer.

That baseball thing hasn't quite worked out so well the past couple few seasons....

Is it because they can't score?

Well they have had plenty of soccer practice from kicking the dirt. Throw a ball in front of them and see how they do with that.

Now Jigga I am sure you know who the New York Cosmos were, and why it would be great to have a MLS team with that name again.

Correct.

Well, halfway correct. I know who they were, I just think it's a stupid name (unless it's the synonym of the universe) and I wanted to bring attention to it.

Would you rather I'd shown a picture of Cosmo Kramer?

Cosmopolitan Magazine?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Kramer would have been funnier

I dont care if its the best name or not, I like to bring them back since they arethe best professional soccer team in America ever.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The name was for the astrological term, not short for "Cosmopolitans." It was mentioned in Once in a Lifetime, the documentary about the Cosmos.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Just think you use Cosmos, and invite Pele and Franz Beckenbauer and retire their #'s you hang the old Cosmos NASAL banners and try to bring back the legacy of the original Cosmos

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Just think you use Cosmos, and invite Pele and Franz Beckenbauer and retire their #'s you hang the old Cosmos NASAL banners and try to bring back the legacy of the original Cosmos

Yes but don't use those horrible Cosmos uniforms. A Mets soccer team can use a Netherlands styled jersey. ;)

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

The name was for the astrological term, not short for "Cosmopolitans." It was mentioned in Once in a Lifetime, the documentary about the Cosmos.

Sorry Mock, but your memory is faulty. That's 180 degrees reversed.

The name was coined by Clive Toye, the Cosmos' first manager (who is featured in Once in a Lifetime).

The previous New York professional club had been the Mets, New York Mets. And 'Mets' is short for 'Metropolitans.' So I thought "Well, what's bigger than 'metropolitan' and came up with 'cosmopolitan', and suddenly it clicked - 'Cosmos'. That's how the Cosmos became the Cosmos.

In his book A Kick in the Grass: The Slow Rise and Quick Demise of the NASL, Toye describes coming up with the name, then rigging a "name the team" contest to support it.

FWIW, I don't see how the next New York team doesn't use the name. A great opportunity to tap into one of the few really glamorous moments in American soccer history. Somebody call Pepi and strike the deal.

My memory's faulty by default, this isn't news. :D

Hm, I guess I just misunderstood that when I heard it before. Now I've decided that it's a completely stupid name.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I like the Cosmos unis

OK, it's about personal tastes of each one of us, Tank.

For me, the old Cosmos unis aren't enough "soccerful". The white jersey with green details didn't fit with the soccer lore as I use to watch in Europe and South America. And its chest logo always included a soccer ball... it's too '70s style for little leagues.

A soccer jersey with the New York City flag colors would be attractive. And a logo derivatived from the NYC coat of arms also would be nice. Some German teams made logos from its hometown's coat of arms.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived