Phillies Pantones Inquiry

Mac the Knife

Does ColorWerx (or anyone else for that matter) know what Pantones were used by the Philadelphia Phillies back in their 70's-80's "burgundy" era? I'm trying to match it for a project I'm working on but I don't think I have it quite right.

Sent a PM...

Here's a color swatch of the Phillies' Maroon that was used between the 1970 and 1991 seasons:

PhiladelphiaPhilliesMaroon_1991_SOL.jpg

I have been told by a reliable source that one of the problems with this color back in the day was that over the course of a season, the color would fade out to almost a Red. Between the sun, and repeated washings, the dye wouldn't hold. It was a very problematic color back then.

Thank you for that bit of knowledge. I've always wondered why if the Phillies were maroon, do I have so many baseball cards and remember watching them in the World Series where they looked red. Thank you.

For several years, they were simultaneously red and maroon. For a while, the pinstripes were red, but the P and numbers were maroon. There were also seasons where the caps and helmets were red. I have a replica cap from when I was a kid (early '80s) and it was bright red - and back then, they didn't make "fashion" caps for teams in different colors. Also, the wordmark in the Independence Hall logo is bright red. At some point, it was phased out (though it still appeared on the jersey sleeve) in favor of the maroon P. Maybe CWx would know if the P was ever officially designated as the "primary" logo (I'm thinking from '87 - '91 is when the IH logo was not used other than the jersey.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For several years, they were simultaneously red and maroon. For a while, the pinstripes were red, but the P and numbers were maroon. There were also seasons where the caps and helmets were red. I have a replica cap from when I was a kid (early '80s) and it was bright red - and back then, they didn't make "fashion" caps for teams in different colors. Also, the wordmark in the Independence Hall logo is bright red. At some point, it was phased out (though it still appeared on the jersey sleeve) in favor of the maroon P. Maybe CWx would know if the P was ever officially designated as the "primary" logo (I'm thinking from '87 - '91 is when the IH logo was not used other than the jersey.)

Prior to 1987, the pinstripes were indeed Red - as you stated. In 1987, they were changed to Maroon.

I have official Style Guide sheets from both 1986 and 1987 that document the change.

As far as the logos go - my sheets show "P" logo as the primary logo, and the IH logo as the secondary. The two sheets I have are identical other than the pinstriping color change.

Prior to 1987, the pinstripes were indeed Red - as you stated. In 1987, they were changed to Maroon.

I have official Style Guide sheets from both 1986 and 1987 that document the change.

As far as the logos go - my sheets show "P" logo as the primary logo, and the IH logo as the secondary. The two sheets I have are identical other than the pinstriping color change.

That's interesting, I would have guessed that Independence Hall was primary in '86, just based on how it was used in marketing. Do you know if it was ever the officially designated primary?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I love the Independence hall logo. Of course, in terms of 2008, what they've been using w/ the Liberty Bell and Diamond since is still very very nice. That old logo wouldn't work today.

Funny though, that the liberty bell logo is all but invisible outside of it's official designation as "primary" logo. The "looping ball" logo (for lack of a better way of describing it) is all that the team seems to use anymore, and for the past few years. TV broadcasts, stadium signage, billboards, etc.

phillies_logo_3.gif

Just for poops and giggles, the IH logo:

70sPhilliesLogo.jpg

Funny though, that the logo depicts the top of IH - a view from which you'd never see shrubs (or whatever thsoe green globs are supposed to be)

EDIT: I guess they could be the tree tops that are slightly visible in the attached picture - I'd say that's a stretch though.

independence-hall-philadelphia-paindh1.jpg

whats the ColorWerx website? I googled it and cant seem to find it. thanks

ssur.org

The IH logo was never the primary, but Upper Deck used it as such in their 1990 and 1991 sets (even though their initial 1989 one used the primary "P" logo).

813a_1.JPG131064921_tp.jpg28c4_1.JPG

^ notice how the hat looks red compared to the one in the Bruce Ruffin pic

Archived