Calgary Flames Logo Question

Bmac

I don't think it is officially canned in the sense that they abandoned the design but they don't use it anywhere. It isn't included in their official identity package (as far as I know). I remember reading in the Calgary Sun that the Flames still have it tucked away for a rainy day.

It's a terrible logo anyhow.

Why is it terrible? It captures the idea of "flames" and pairs it with an idea of Calgary (the horse). Granted the look is dated, but if it were updated it could still be a good logo.

The idea of the logo is a fantastic concept. I am from Calgary and realize the concept that they had when creating this logo. It is just the execution that was lacklustre. Why not make the horse look more like a horse? Why not give the horse a mane instead of making it bald? A lot of people around the city refer to it as the "dragon" logo, as it looks more like a dragon to most people. Not to mention the ridiculous job done on the mouth of the logo.

Why is it terrible? It captures the idea of "flames" and pairs it with an idea of Calgary (the horse). Granted the look is dated, but if it were updated it could still be a good logo.

The idea of the logo is a fantastic concept. I am from Calgary and realize the concept that they had when creating this logo. It is just the execution that was lacklustre. Why not make the horse look more like a horse? Why not give the horse a mane instead of making it bald? A lot of people around the city refer to it as the "dragon" logo, as it looks more like a dragon to most people. Not to mention the ridiculous job done on the mouth of the logo.

Ok, we're on the same page then. Those were the kinds of things I meant when I said dated. I think the only reason that they didn't have a mane was that they have that little flame (dumb) on the forehead and didn't want to cover it. This would something cool to do for a concept though, update the Flaming Horse.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Completely agree.

They missed a prime and obvious chance to use a profile of the horse head with a flaming mane or something of that nature. I guess they thought that it would look too much like some of the other horse head logos in various sports...so they opted with the mess that they ended up creating.

Too bad, because I love the idea of a team taking something that is a prominent symbol of the local area and using it in a logo (Though it doesn't happen too often anymore)

Archived