Bowl Game Anniversaries

meetthemets

When they say it's the 75th installment of the Sun Bowl, I guess they're including the years it was irreverently called the John Hancock Bowl.

Yes they include those years. Thank the Sun Bowl for being the first bowl game to have a corporate sponsor. They unlocked the genie from that bottle.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

When they say it's the 75th installment of the Sun Bowl, I guess they're including the years it was irreverently called the John Hancock Bowl.

Yes they include those years. Thank the Sun Bowl for being the first bowl game to have a corporate sponsor. They unlocked the genie from that bottle.

Actually the current Capital One Bowl is the first Bowl with a corporate sponsor, it started off at the Tangerine Bowl and in 1983 the Florida Citrus Growers Association became a sponsor and changed the name to the Florida Citrus Bowl. The Sugar Bowl became the USF&G Sugar Bowl the same season that the Sun Bowl became the John Hancock Sun Bowl, the Sugar was played Jan. 1, 1987 & the Sun was played Dec. 25, 1986.

Can someone explain how it's the 75 anniversary of both bowls, but one started in '34 and one started in '35?

The Orange Bowl is celebrating its 75th year, where the Sugar Bowl is celebrating its 75th anniversary this year.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Actually the current Capital One Bowl is the first Bowl with a corporate sponsor, it started off at the Tangerine Bowl and in 1983 the Florida Citrus Growers Association became a sponsor and changed the name to the Florida Citrus Bowl. The Sugar Bowl became the USF&G Sugar Bowl the same season that the Sun Bowl became the John Hancock Sun Bowl, the Sugar was played Jan. 1, 1987 & the Sun was played Dec. 25, 1986.

Yes, I recall other bowls having sponsorships before the Sun Bowl. However, I was really ticked that the original name wasn't incorporated into the sponsored name. It was just "John Hancock" bowl. At least the USF&G Sugar Bowl kept the word "Sugar" in the name to retain its "identity".

Archived