Ranger Hat Options?

gmlouisville

Over the past several seasons the Rangers have only worn the solid blue hat with the white T. For some reason New Era still makes the one with the black bill (which was originally used as an alternate) and the one with the red T (originally supposed to be their road hat) even after MLB switched to the polyester hats a few years back although the Rangers stopped wearing those two styles at least a few years before the switch even took place. You can still find all three styles from time to time in stores around the area.

Also, the whole addition of the black wasn't limited to the bill of the alternate hat. For several years now both the home and the away jerseys have had black outline on the "Rangers" and "Texas" on the front of them as well as black outlines on the numbers on the back. I can't exactly remember when the black billed hat was first introduced, but I am pretty sure it was the same time if not within a year or so of the introduction their current uniform set (the home and away, they've since added a blue alternate as well as a couple of sleeveless versions which don't have the black outlines). Hopefully the trending away from the black with the two newer sleeveless alternates is a sign that the black is well on its way out.

The black billed hat is no longer going to be even considered an alternate hat for this coming season, I believe. They're introducing a new red one(much like their 90s look) and last time I looked on New Era, they'd removed the black billed, so I assume with the debut, they're officially eliminating it. They're still keeping the red T'd look, which I feel is the nicer of the two, even though they never wear it, however.

The black billed hat is no longer going to be even considered an alternate hat for this coming season, I believe. They're introducing a new red one(much like their 90s look) and last time I looked on New Era, they'd removed the black billed, so I assume with the debut, they're officially eliminating it. They're still keeping the red T'd look, which I feel is the nicer of the two, even though they never wear it, however.

I know they have worn the red "T" hat but have they ever worn the black billed hat (pics please)?

The Rangers introduced the blue cap with red "T" in 2001 and only wore it for that season. They introduced the blue cap with black bill in 2002 and wore it unitl 2004. MLB and New Era still list it as an official for unknown reasons. I thought the new Rangers cap was going to be an updatd version of the original Rangers hat; blue cap with red bill.

Archived