Baltimore Orioles rebrand

elliott

Logos:

Orioles2009.gif

Home/Away:

Orioles2009Jerseys-1.gif

Alternate:

Orioles2009Alt.gif

Overall, I really like this look. (That's saying a lot considering I generally like throwbacks and older, traditional looks, and specifically within baseball, I like cursive scripts.) The reduction of black and the addition of more orange is certainly a good thing. The orange cap is fun (and like it has been stated before, unique).

Now, as for what I would suggest changing/improving: For the secondary, why not just have the bird have flat feet (like the current logo), as though it were sitting on the ground? That way, you wouldn't have to worry about it clutching something. Or, have it sitting on either the O or the B from your scripts Also, the black in the middle of the O in "Orioles" isn't super noticeable on just the logo sheet (or at least it doesn't bother me). However, on the uniforms, it's bugging me, probably due to the more contrasting colors its up against (white or bright orange). How did it look without the black fill? Was the uncolored negative space too small and it looked weird? I could see that as a reason for filling it in. But now it looks weird the other way! (Catch 22, right?)

The one thing that bugs me most though is how the bird looks on the primary logo. From the secondary, one can tell that the viewer's perspective of the bird is from the bird's bottom and right. Therefore, it would be very anatomically odd for the bird's tail to be over whatever it was standing on (i.e. the word "Orioles") if the viewer was looking up at the bird. This perspective oddity is throwing the whole primary off for me. Put the tail behind the word, and I think it would make more sense. 1) The viewer could read the word more easily (because it's not obscured save for the bird's feet; not that this is too big of an issue now, but seeing the dot over the "i" helps to clear up lbr's issue of the "ri" looking like an "n") and 2) the perspective won't look awkward now.

*edit* Added the concept since this is the first post on the second page.

This might sound crazy, but although I like this I just don't think it works for the Orioles. They have used the cursive script in some form or another for a long time, and yours does seem to be inspired by that. Overall, however, I find the bird and the script too modern for the Orioles and their whole identity (stadium, tradition, etc)

I think all of it looks great. IMO, there is nothing wrong with your bird logo. The uniforms look great, and the wordmark just looks right to me. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it looks great for this team. I love it and I think you did a great job with it.

I really like where this is going. Orange caps = genius. The orange on the chest and tail of the logo does look off. Maybe introduce black or grey where the white is because the underside of the bird should have shadows, not highlights. Like others have said, the script doesn't look right. It seems like something is missing or off. As for the uniforms, I would change the numerals like the scripts. Also, the NOB is much too big. Try testing NOBs with Cattalanato, or some other really, really long name. It's not there yet, but I think you can improve on this.

Yeah, the chest is, I think, the weak point of the logo, but if you look at an actual oriole they have solid orange chests, with little change in the overall color. So I'm going to keep the orange on the chest but definitely work on the shading/highlights.

Overall, I really like this look. (That's saying a lot considering I generally like throwbacks and older, traditional looks, and specifically within baseball, I like cursive scripts.) The reduction of black and the addition of more orange is certainly a good thing. The orange cap is fun (and like it has been stated before, unique).

Now, as for what I would suggest changing/improving: For the secondary, why not just have the bird have flat feet (like the current logo), as though it were sitting on the ground? That way, you wouldn't have to worry about it clutching something. Or, have it sitting on either the O or the B from your scripts Also, the black in the middle of the O in "Orioles" isn't super noticeable on just the logo sheet (or at least it doesn't bother me). However, on the uniforms, it's bugging me, probably due to the more contrasting colors its up against (white or bright orange). How did it look without the black fill? Was the uncolored negative space too small and it looked weird? I could see that as a reason for filling it in. But now it looks weird the other way! (Catch 22, right?)

The one thing that bugs me most though is how the bird looks on the primary logo. From the secondary, one can tell that the viewer's perspective of the bird is from the bird's bottom and right. Therefore, it would be very anatomically odd for the bird's tail to be over whatever it was standing on (i.e. the word "Orioles") if the viewer was looking up at the bird. This perspective oddity is throwing the whole primary off for me. Put the tail behind the word, and I think it would make more sense. 1) The viewer could read the word more easily (because it's not obscured save for the bird's feet; not that this is too big of an issue now, but seeing the dot over the "i" helps to clear up lbr's issue of the "ri" looking like an "n") and 2) the perspective won't look awkward now.

*edit* Added the concept since this is the first post on the second page.

Ok, thanks, penguin20 also noticed the perspective being off, so thanks to both of you, I'll work on that.

This might sound crazy, but although I like this I just don't think it works for the Orioles. They have used the cursive script in some form or another for a long time, and yours does seem to be inspired by that. Overall, however, I find the bird and the script too modern for the Orioles and their whole identity (stadium, tradition, etc)

I see what you are saying, I don't know if I would necessarily want the Orioles to go with something like this either, I like their look too, but I was just throwing something out there, if they were ever to modernize.

Also I will fix the large amount of black in the 'O'. Update coming.

I like the uniforms as far as the striping and coloring go. However, I really dislike the bird logo you've come up with. It seems like the shunned brother of the St Louis Cardinal. The script is ok, but it just doesn't say MLB baseball to me. It's a good start though.

123xa2.png

UPDATE

Logos

-Made chest of the bird smaller (overall looks skinnier)

-Made the front shadowing a reddish color to make it less obvious and reflect a real oriole more

-Tried to fix perspective issues, especially on primary

-Changed shadowing on tail

-Fixed problems with the O

It's still clutching nothing on the secondary, I'm working on fixing that now.

Uniforms

-Put bird head logo on road cap

-Sock striping

-Black socks on home/away

-Fixed nameplate issue

-Alternate hat is now all black instead of all orange so it isn't so blinding :)

Orioles2009-2.gif

Orioles2009Jerseys2.gif

Orioles2009Alt2.gif

Hopefully it's looking better...

Definitely looking better. It was a good idea to use the orange shadowing on the chest, because I didn't think the white chest looked right in the first place. To me the bird also appears to be clutching nothing on the primary, maybe you could make his feet wrap around the wordmark better. Not too sure I like the bird head on the road cap, simply because it is black and it blends in with the black hat. I think you should use an O or a B on the road hat. Overall this is looking much better, I wouldn't mind the Orioles wearing these.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Maybe I'm not thinking straight but I don't know what p.i.l.l. means

I don't think patsox is thinking straight either, he needs to lay off the drugs for a little while. :D

But seriously though, I don't know what that means either.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Old member who made some distinctive concepts. I'm not sure if patsox means that as a complement or not.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Old member who made some distinctive concepts. I'm not sure if patsox means that as a complement or not.

I don't mean it as an insult or compliment. That's why I said the update was awesome and why I concluded my post with "no offense". :D

I think what really gets me on this is the birds overall body shape is rounded down, almost making it look like it's hunched over or given up. If you could somehow make the body shape rounded up a little to show some spring in it's step I think it would help. I also agree that on the primary it doesn't look like it's perched on the word mark, it looks like you just pasted it on top. Other then that I like the changes you've made.

123xa2.png

While I like what you are doing, I don't particularly like it for the Orioles. It must be the combination of the wordmark and colors, but I can't look at this without having the feeling of "fast food restaurant" or maybe "candy bar". I don't know, maybe it is just the use of a very modern font for a very traditional team. To be honest, the wordmark feels like something that would work better for the Blue Jays than the Orioles.

I do like the updated bird.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived