Pittsburgh Penguins new wordmark

Wheelhouse

I think Tampa uses a very similar, if not identical number font as the Pens.

I don't think so - look at the "4". The Penguins' one has a serif at the top (kinda like the Islanders used in the fishstick era)

Didn't the fishstick Islanders use the same numerals as the motre-bame Brewers? Hard to tell since the Isles' numbers were warped to fit those stupid wave-stripes, but I think they were the same. Cool numbers, though.

berardfisherman.jpg

Doesn't look like it to me. I was right about the 4, though.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think so - look at the "4". The Penguins' one has a serif at the top (kinda like the Islanders used in the fishstick era), the Bolts don't, and as far as I can remember, never have.

The numerals look the same, but the Pens have a pretty unique texture on their jersey numbers.

I don't think so - look at the "4". The Penguins' one has a serif at the top (kinda like the Islanders used in the fishstick era)

Didn't the fishstick Islanders use the same numerals as the motre-bame Brewers? Hard to tell since the Isles' numbers were warped to fit those stupid wave-stripes, but I think they were the same. Cool numbers, though.

berardfisherman.jpg

Doesn't look like it to me. I was right about the 4, though.

Nope. Not the same at all.

The Brewers used the same Germanic font for the numbers that they did on the letters. Here's a "4" for comparison:

http://www.life.com/image/385538

• 3 weeks later...

The numerals Pittsburgh currently uses (and has since they debuted their awesome alternate jersey):

Jaromir-Jagr---Fire-on-Ice-Poster-C10020271.jpeg

were originally used by the Islanders from 1991-95 (pre-fisherman):

32230_01_lg.jpg

Ironically, the Tampa Bay Lightning altered that font in their Inaugural Season:

2946272230100283076S600x600Q85.jpg

To which they italicized it the following season:

ken%20hodge%20jerseys%20018.jpg

In 1994-95, the Lightning went to the paintbrush font until their 10th Anniversary, which the current numerals were "a salute" the original look of their team.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I want that original name and number font shown above used by the Lightning SO BAD ! ! I've always leaned toward teams that use the lightning bolt, SD Chargers, GS Warriors, TB Lightning, AF Falcons. TB's font in their infancy was the best evar IMHO. Is that available anywhere, (.jpg, .ttf, .png... anywhere ?)

• 3 years later...

Archived