DustDevil61 takes on MLB

DustDevil61

Well, I just got finished with my first MLB concept, which is of the Mariners. I'm growing on the Mariners' current colors, and don't think that they look bad, but something's missing--mainly, some brightness (I know that the Pacific NW is not known for being bright), but some gold needed to be added. I plan to tweak some colors around with this (i.e., teal instead of green, navy instead of blue), so this isn't exactly final.

I went with the original color scheme, with a touch of kelly green. The script is similar to the original Mariners trident logo, without the odd-balanced handle. I went with a gold home cap, though the "S" cap could be used as well with the homes. I'm thinking of a blue alternate jersey to better match the gold cap with. The road cap logo is kind of a tribute to the Sonics, as this "S" was designed with the Sonics "S" logo in mind.

The sleeve patch is a compass in a circle, with the Space Needle behind it.

Here's the link; C & C is welcome:

Mariners Concept No. 1

P.S.: You can also go to the Large, but that has an odd light cyan tint to it (error in uploading?), so keep that in mind when looking at the large size.

Njoy!

Here's the second version for the Mariners. This time, I have the blue darkened and the green replaced with teal. I'm actually growing on the navy/teal look, but it needs to be spiced up, and that's why I put the gold in there. The same wierd cyan problem has come up again with the large, but hopefully you'll know what to do.

Mariners Concept No. 2

Here's the third version of my Mariners concept:

3546181055_00b52bf93b_o.png

Kept the "S," but put it on a teal hat and relegated it to an alternate, put stirrups (navy) on gold socks (home) and teal socks (road); made "Mariners" in teal, and "Seattle" in navy, numbers are lifted up on the back. I also fixed the white/cyan background on the home jerseys, except for the belt.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to do in terms of color scheme. These 3 colors clash way too much, especially teal and yellow, and it looks minor-leaguish. I just can't see the Mariners wearing this color scheme.

I think the coolest part about the original concept was the bevel on the cap logo (which I like, although the S is rather boring), but sadly you removed it on the update.

The jerseys are all over the place. I don't know what to say. Look at a pro jersey. All the piping usually matches, and there is some type of coherent scheme for replacing the piping over the home to the away. This concept has neither of those elements. Just simplify.

The patch logo is decent but I think you went a little overboard with all of the circle outlines.

--Bump--

I just got done with my latest Mariners concept, and this may be it for Seattle for a time (an alt may be coming in the future, likely navy or possibly teal). Basically, I just simplified in my jersey design: made the piping match on home and roads (navy/gold for home, navy/teal for road), made script and number trim opposite of non-navy piping color (i.e.: teal for home, gold for road). I also had sock colors match script/number trim (teal for home, gold for road) with navy, stripeless stirrups for both. I'm not 100% positive on the exact stirrup look, but hopefully that's at least heading in the right direction.

I then beveled the "S" logo (hopefully that spices it up a little), and also made the bevel on the trident "M" logo more detailed, but tried to have one dominant color on each beveled letter while remaining simple. I made 2 sets of hats, just to see what the trident "M" would look like in navy on teal, and the "S" in gold on navy.

I also got rid of the second circle on the Space Needle/compass sleeve patch.

3562449644_6f2f8e5d58_o.png

My one criticism as a uni set is that I am not sure the home and road sets really sit together very well. For a start personally I would dump the teal hats, actually get rid of the teal altogether, maybe replace it on the unis with a powder/sky blue, but have only navy hats.

I am not a fan of the S hat logo either. Doesn't fit with the whole set, too different from the trident M and frankly IMO not the most proffesional looking thing either.

Their are aspects of this that are good, just needs tweaking out some of the messier parts IMO.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

All right, here's my next attempt at redesigning another MLB team...but not by much. It's the New York Mets' orange alternates. While the Mets are not a sleeveless team to me, the only possible sleeveless look they could pull off is an orange vest/blue sleeve look. I also made the hat mostly orange (with a blue bill, rings and button), and ditched all black, putting the blue interlocking "NY" logo in white trim.

Since most major league colored tops are worn with coinciding pants (white home, road gray), I assumed that these would be worn with the white/gray pants and that's why there are no pants. I didn't make a sleeve logo, as this is the first prototype of the jersey, but I kind of imagined the Mr. Met/diamond logo on the sleeve. If you want, you can put him on there, whoever made that logo.

3584918096_738d0c59e3_o.png

Next is digging back into my archives, an Oakland A's alternate concept. Went with gold as the main color, much like this, but I also used gold pants with it. The A's logo is on the left side of the top, while the number is on the right side, in green with white trim. The hats are gold crowned, one with a green bill, the other without. Pardon the fact that it's a GIF image; again, it's from my archives:

2676516970_1d40017a5d_o.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's the latest of my Mariners concepts. I'll think of doing a second set of alternates in times to come.

All Sets: Replaced teal with sky blue. I have used a new, all-caps script similar to what the M's wear now. Numbers are thinner. Ditched the original S logo, went with more of a normal-looking S with a compass behind the S, unlike their current logo. Compass is also tilted to right so that the NW arrow is pointing straight up, as it is in all versions of the compass logo used in any of these concepts.

Main Set: Tried to emphasize navy/gold but tried to work in some sky blue. True, with these pics' resolution, they probably look greener than they actually are. Made the brim of the M-trident logo hat gold. Assigned M-trident logo hat as main home, all-navy S-compass logo for the roads.

3618487226_2e9b60db02_o.png

First Alternate Set: For home, used navy alternate top, with mostly gold script, numbers, and piping; again, I tried to work in some sky blue trim. Best used with M-trident logo. For roads, I was inspired from the 70's-80's sky blue alternates (which the M's rocked for some time) and tried to make a modern design of an all-sky blue alternate uniform. I empasized the sky and navy blues, but also tried to fit in some gold and white. A third, sky blue hat is also introduced, also following suit in minimizing (though not excluding) gold.

3617666611_e35d0d8213_o.png

Hopefully, this is much cleaner and consistent than my past versions of the Mariners concept. C + C please!

Archived