St. Louis Rams SOLD (pending NFL approval)

STL FANATIC

Well yeah. Like I said, nothing's going to make me comfortable until it's happened, but this is better than continued silence or saying the reverse. Honestly, I don't really think he needs the PR to get the team or the money, though. The fans aren't voting on that stuff, the sellers (the Rosenblooms) are legally obliged to give him first shot, and I don't honestly believe the league would flinch much if the Rams bolted to LA (although, I also don't believe they're scheming to make it happen). The PR is just so the fans calm down, and little more.

The new stadium is nothing new. Shad Khan's going to want a new stadium, too. And i the Rams are going to stay, St. Louis is ultimately going to have to find a way to build one. The deal with having a "St. Louis" buyer, is that you hope to find someone patient enough to work it out with the city as opposed to jumping at the first opportunity (because it will NOT be build by 2014). A new stadium is inevitable. It's all about when and how.

And while I businessman is a businessman is a businessman, Kroenke made a solid case. He HAS always supported football in St. Louis, he DOES still make his home in Missouri, and he has very close family in St. Louis that consider themselves big Rams fans.

He won't concede much to St. Louis, but I do believe his first and honest efforts will be to keep the team here instead of just planning to bolt as soon as he can.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new stadium is nothing new. Shad Khan's going to want a new stadium, too. And i the Rams are going to stay, St. Louis is ultimately going to have to find a way to build one. The deal with having a "St. Louis" buyer, is that you hope to find someone patient enough to work it out with the city as opposed to jumping at the first opportunity (because it will NOT be build by 2014). A new stadium is inevitable. It's all about when and how.

But I get the sense Khan would be willing to wait until the city is ready to spend the money, where Kroenke would insist that St. Louis pony up by the time the out clause kicks in.

But I get the sense Khan would be willing to wait until the city is ready to spend the money, where Kroenke would insist that St. Louis pony up by the time the out clause kicks in.

I get a slightly different feel. The article you linked, by Alvin Reid, is purely speculation.

I'd say you're completely right about Khan. He'd be patient. And you're right that Kroenke won't be. But will Kroenke say "if you don't approve a stadium by the time the out-clause kicks in, then we're outta here"?

I don't believe that for a second. He'd be LESS patient. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't have any patience at all. Now, the other side to that is that he'd probably bear down and start working hard on the stadium right away, where as Khan's patient might make his approach a little more laid back.

Kroenke will drive a hard bargain, and he won't be super flexible, but he won't simply bail on St. Louis. He'll give it a go first.

But now I'm speculating. Truth is nobody but Stan knows how he'll handle it. All we know for sure is he'll be savvy.

Of course. All we can do is speculate.

But my read on Khan is that he's likely to cut St. Louis every possibly break to keep the team in town. He'd be buying it not as a businessman but as a fan and a citizen of St. Louis.

My read on Kroenke is exactly the opposite - he's a businessman first and foremost, and the Rams would be just one more piece in his vast sports portfolio. I'm fairly convinced that he'd do whatever he could to maximize the asset's value (such as moving it to the second largest market in the country, which would instantly boost the paper value by at least 50%) with little regard for sentiment. Sweet stories about his mother notwithstanding.

• 3 months later...

That's because we kind of all assumed it was Kroenke.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's a done deal. In the NFL stuff like this doesn't go to a vote unless it has the votes.

What happened with Khan though?

He didn't have a Wal-Mart heiress for a wife (which helps in terms of financing and corporate partnerships), was less independently wealthy than Kroenke, and also was having some disagreements with the IRS regarding tax payments.

I also suspect Kroenke is a more acceptable candidate to the Good Ol'Boys network than a Pakistani emigrant.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As a condition of the sale to Stan Kroenke, the Rams will move out of the Edward Jones Dome and into a windowless van parked outside an elementary school.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As a condition of the sale to Stan Kroenke, the Rams will move out of the Edward Jones Dome and into a windowless van parked outside an elementary school.

Will that windowless van have "Mayflower" written on the side of it?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That or "free candy if you don't tell your parents."

Personally, I'd be quite happy to see the Rams go back to Los Angeles and wear bright colors again. Alternatively, they can stay in St. Louis, move out of that dismal convention center, and wear bright colors again. Either/or. Man, I just can't stand the status quo. Did anyone else have the misfortune of stumbling upon a home game or two last year? It was bad enough that they started the year making a serious bid for, statistically speaking, the worst football team of all time, but all the dark colors in a dark building just made it even worse.

That or "free candy if you don't tell your parents."

Personally, I'd be quite happy to see the Rams go back to Los Angeles and wear bright colors again. Alternatively, they can stay in St. Louis, move out of that dismal convention center, and wear bright colors again. Either/or. Man, I just can't stand the status quo. Did anyone else have the misfortune of stumbling upon a home game or two last year? It was bad enough that they started the year making a serious bid for, statistically speaking, the worst football team of all time, but all the dark colors in a dark building just made it even worse.

I'd rather the Dome replacement have a retractable roof at the least, since outdoors St. Louis in July-September is one of the least pleasant places to play football in the country, and then you get the snows of December to go with the lethal heat indices. Honestly, I don't mind the darker colors, but that might be because the brighter colors are firmly married to the oft repressed "Tony Banks Era" in my mind.

Today, we are all otaku.

I was in St. Louis in July! Man, even when there's a breeze, there's not a breeze. Forest Park is nice, though. The Hill is kinda cool; I had a good sandwich there. First time down that way. St. Louis is interesting in that its core has the same spirit (so to speak) as the Great Lakes towns back up north, but I didn't have to go too far west before I felt distinctly not at home. Not quite Midwest, not quite South. Interesting overlap of the two. It was kind of like Milwaukee, if Milwaukee were stiflingly humid and surrounded by Baptist churches and cheap cigarettes.

Anyway, at least in August, you're playing night games, but I can see September noon starts being quite unpleasant there.

You may play at night in August, but the Rams have also decided that St. Louis is an ideal place to have training camp. :rolleyes: Never mind the abbreviated practices and the fact that something like a 3rd of the roster had heat-related injuries. :rolleyes: I really wish they would go back to Mequon for camp like they did before 2008.

Today, we are all otaku.

Honestly, I don't mind the darker colors, but that might be because the brighter colors are firmly married to the oft repressed "Tony Banks Era" in my mind.

Yea. it's not like they won the Super Bowl in those uniforms or anything...

...oh wait.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Honestly, I don't mind the darker colors, but that might be because the brighter colors are firmly married to the oft repressed "Tony Banks Era" in my mind.

Yea. it's not like they won the Super Bowl in those uniforms or anything...

Because they blew the application deadline for the new uniforms. The original intent was to have the new uniforms in place for the 1999, and they encountered most of their St. Louis success in them. I didn't quite care for the throwbacks this season or last for a similar reason. Indeed, all they did last season was bring back bad memories, not good ones.

Today, we are all otaku.

It's a done deal. In the NFL stuff like this doesn't go to a vote unless it has the votes.

What happened with Khan though?

He didn't have a Wal-Mart heiress for a wife (which helps in terms of financing and corporate partnerships), was less independently wealthy than Kroenke, and also was having some disagreements with the IRS regarding tax payments.

I also suspect Kroenke is a more acceptable candidate to the Good Ol'Boys network than a Pakistani emigrant.

I don't think the NFL cares one whit about that. The only color which interests them is green, and Khan has had a problem producing enough of it.

Archived